• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Pool - Will you buy any version of Sword and Shield?

Will you buy any version of Sword and Shield?

• Total voters
I finally pre-ordered Shield yesterday.

I'll probably just stick with buying one version from now on, though. Maybe if there's a third (set of) game(s) I'll by the one equal to Sword like I did with Moon and Ultra Sun. But in the mean time, as an adult, buying both games is a thing of the past for me.

I'm still a no, I still haven't learned anything of the games that make me want to buy the games. Dynamax, Gigantamax, and Galarian Forms are all turn offs for me.
Aside from Galarian forms I agree with you but that said I'd expect more forms or at least, I expect they are just not revealing them.
I feel that the games lack any real improvement aside from the jump from 3DS to Switch.
Something that in the meantime made me sadder is the Wild Area: I've just realised that with the new encounter method for the main games a la LGPE, the Wild Area is a cheap and poor way to just throw Pkmn and weather conditions into a very little sandbox instead of coming up with a wider map, so while in the future, regions will continue to not being grid-like, they'll perhaps tend to have more cluster areas and I hate it.

Something that in the meantime made me sadder is the Wild Area: I've just realised that with the new encounter method for the main games a la LGPE, the Wild Area is a cheap and poor way to just throw Pkmn and weather conditions into a very little sandbox instead of coming up with a wider map, so while in the future, regions will continue to not being grid-like, they'll perhaps tend to have more cluster areas and I hate it.

The Wild Area was imo, the perfect place to have ALL pokemon appear (every now and then ofc), and it could be seasonal or through DLC. It could even give Pokemon a MMORPG feel. There's so much potential in it but they only really scrapped the surface of that and it is indeed tragic.

Last edited:
That's what sealed the deal for me as well. At least, it sealed the deal for me getting shield. I alrady pre-ordered sword.
I was initially going to wait before purchasing either game but all the info regarding ponyta, the wild area and all the character customization just pushed me over the edge to buy it.

I'm still waiting to see what's in store for Pokémon HOME after the release of Sword & Shield. Will it really be Pokémon PRISON as a lot of people are claiming it to be or will it include the ability to battle and trade with other players? It seems as though Game Freak's main focus when it comes to the Competitive Scene is restricted mostly toward Pokémon available in the Galar region. What about for players who want to battle with Pokémon that didn't make the cut in Sword & Shield? You can't just expect them to wait for the next main series title release to use those Pokémon again. Nobody has that kind of patience at least not that I know of.

You know how TCG / CCG's like Magic: The Gathering have a rotation system with Standard and a non-rotating format with Modern? Why not make the Pokémon available in Sword & Shield and other future titles as a battle format for VGC with Pokémon getting rotated out similar to cards in Standard. As for the Pokémon that didn't make the cut for a specific main series title just enable players to battle with them against friends and NPC's (Non-player characters) in Pokémon HOME since it'd be treated as a battle format where the Pokémon never rotate in or out. It'd be like Modern in Magic: The Gathering. That way it helps solve the Dexit debacle and everyone wins.

Except for the people that want to have their cut Pokémon in SwSh, i.e. (almost) everyone upset at Dexit. So, while this solution is nice, it is far from an "everyone wins" scenario.
True but at least you get to actually do stuff with the cut Pokémon in SwSh instead of them sitting around collecting dust until the next main series game release. I just don't want it to be treated like another gimmick that gets taken away only to be replaced with something worse. Game Freak has had a terrible habit of doing this in the last few generations of the main series Pokémon games. It needs to stop.

The Wild Area was imo, the perfect place to have ALL pokemon appear (every now and then ofc), and it could be seasonal or through DLC. It could even give Pokemon a MMORPG feel. There's so much potential in it but they only really scrapped the surface of that and it is indeed tragic.
I don't criticize the Wild Area for being below expectations or potencial, I simply hate the concept in it's entirity. It's like HG's Safari Zone but that changes with the time of day instead of our action. I'd prefer the return of swarms/outbreaks to this. As it is, the Wild Area is just a pool where you go from time to time to fish something new instead of going to new areas with the Pkmn included.

I don't criticize the Wild Area for being below expectations or potencial, I simply hate the concept in it's entirity. It's like HG's Safari Zone but that changes with the time of day instead of our action. I'd prefer the return of swarms/outbreaks to this. As it is, the Wild Area is just a pool where you go from time to time to fish something new instead of going to new areas with the Pkmn included.
I don’t think that the Wild Area is confirmed that way. I think it just depends what part of it you are in. The only random factor seems to be weather. Also there’s nothing that says swarms/outbreaks won’t make a return.

There still isn't anything that has been revealed that makes me want to buy the games.
At the moment I'm only trying to decide if I keep myself in the dark for this generation until (and if) a third improved version comes out of or if I'm going to keep udated pertaining the new Pkmn, because I'm just interested to see which new Grass and Poison will be revealed, because I won't buy these games.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom