• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Pool - Will you buy any version of Sword and Shield?

Will you buy any version of Sword and Shield?

• Total voters
How are they being "held hostage." You can't hold something hostage if you have no plans of giving it back.
Well, GF said Pokemon that can't go into Galar might be able to travel to other regions in the future. Dunno what interview it was anymore exactly, the one about Galar being 'too cold' for some 'mons iirc

EDIT: also HOME will be a paid subscription that won't allow you to transfer 'mons back to Bank once they've gone to HOME

But they're still not being held hostage. Hostage taking is taking something and only giving it back if a certain condition is met by a certain person or group of persons.

But they're still not being held hostage.

"Pay us HOME subscription or else your Pokemon gets deleted" sounds like a hostage situation to me.

Is forced Exp. Share an actual thing? Do tell me it's not true. The last thing i want is for that broken thing to be forced upon everyone with no way of turning it off.

I believe it is. However, I've heard some people say that there is better balancing in this game and that the levels of the rival's Pokemon were actually a little higher than the player's at some point.

I believe it is. However, I've heard some people say that there is better balancing in this game and that the levels of the rival's Pokemon were actually a little higher than the player's at some point.
My major concern here of course is that in the last two generations the exp share overlevels your pokemon to hell. It's the reason i turned it off to have even a slight amount of challenge, because even close friends were claiming that they were at least 5 levels above even the gym leaders and major story battles. I heard stories of people being 10 levels above trainers and they weren't even grinding.

If the leveling curve is actually well balanced to take the Exp Share into acount, then this is not an issue. But if it's like the previous games, this is a major problem here. I believe in the power of options that cater to a wide array of players, forcing players into something that can destroy the enjoyment of the games with no way of doing anything about it is a bad thing to me.

My major concern here of course is that in the last two generations the exp share overlevels your pokemon to hell. It's the reason i turned it off to have even a slight amount of challenge, because even close friends were claiming that they were at least 5 levels above even the gym leaders and major story battles. I heard stories of people being 10 levels above trainers and they weren't even grinding.

If the leveling curve is actually well balanced to take the Exp Share into acount, then this is not an issue. But if it's like the previous games, this is a major problem here. I believe in the power of options that cater to a wide array of players, forcing players into something that can destroy the enjoyment of the games with no way of doing anything about it is a bad thing to me.

Agreed. I am also worried about the always-on Exp share because I've had my Pokemon become 10 levels above my opponents with it, and that was with minimal grinding and catching of wild Pokemon. I was planning on catching everything in sight during my Sword play-through, but now I am afraid that I will have to choose between a more difficult play-through or catching everything...

Last edited:
Coming as a guy who has avoiding trainer battles down to an art, I was pretty evenly leveled (if not a little underleveled) when I first started with XY because I avoided most trainer battles and ran from every encounter that didn't contain a Pokemon I wanted to catch.

Coming as a guy who has avoiding trainer battles down to an art, I was pretty evenly leveled (if not a little underleveled) when I first started with XY because I avoided most trainer battles and ran from every encounter that didn't contain a Pokemon I wanted to catch.

Unfortunately, I love battling too much to willingly avoid trainers (in most cases).

So they will be bought with Watts, that special currency you get from Max Raid Battles, I presume. If that's the case, it's a little disappointing as I'm not too keen on Max Raid Battles.
You can get Watts through other means, too.
You can earn a currency that’s exclusive to the Wild Area called Watts by battling trainers or by approaching dormant Max Raid Battle red beam locations
Pokemon Sword and Shield: The Final Preview of the Series's Most Ambitious Game - IGN

Wasn't planning on buying at first, but my financial situation got a little more stable. Plus the leaks got me hyped (aside from the PokéDex cut but alas... I'll be able to live with that eventually) So I bought a Switch and preordered Sword. My Switch won't arrive to Monday at the latest but I can wait a little longer I guess. :)

I ended up pre-purchasing the games (i'd say "Pre-order", but I actually paid in full for the games), but I am expecting the games to be less than stellar in several areas. I'm not going to punish Game Freak - I think the need to get a game out this year was a decision out of there hands.

I'm not going to punish Game Freak - I think the need to get a game out this year was a decision out of there hands.
Even if that's true, you're rewarding whoever made that decision. Doubly so if you've ordered both versions.

At the end of the day, it's entertainment and there is nothing wrong with consuming it. But it ends up sending a message when millions of people do it.

Even if that's true, you're rewarding whoever made that decision. Doubly so if you've ordered both versions.

At the end of the day, it's entertainment and there is nothing wrong with consuming it. But it ends up sending a message when millions of people do it.
Millions of people were gonna do it anyways.

It's like voting, your vote doesn't really matter when thousands maybe millions of people sre gonns vote anyway. They're lying.

It's like voting, your vote doesn't really matter when thousands maybe millions of people sre gonns vote anyway. They're lying.
Little droplets make an ocean.

If many, many people decide not to contribute to the sales, it will make an impact.

Discouraging someone from voting with their wallet because “it won’t do anything” isn’t really something that I approve of...

I literally showed you an example of where voting with the wallet caused a company to responsd, and it was in regards to a Pokemon game to boot.

Given that Gamefreak doesn't really care about your feelings or anyone elses, that probably won't work ('sides, enough little kids out there are gonna buy the game it won't matter).
They cared enough when Black and White undersold Diamond and Pearl that they catered heavily to the people (note: not little kids) critical of gen 5 in X and Y.
While the BW/XY situation does not prove we will see a large drop in SwSh sales and/or a response from GameFreak, it does show that voting with the wallet can provoke a response. Claiming that abstaining from buying the game "doesn't really matter" isn't exactly true.

Last edited:
I've bought Sword. Looking forward to getting it in the morning. I think I'm mostly getting this game because there are new Pokémon and a new region. That's something.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom