• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Popular game franchises you've never played.

Pretty much everything violent/M rated save for Assassin's Creed (Odyssey) (and I guess Persona 5 is M rated, too, but not for the reasons I usually think of). That covers a ton of popular franchises. Including the one you mentioned, Resident Evil. Big nope for me. I hate horror.

Legend of Zelda is the first thing I thought, though I did try Breath of the Wild once or twice but was overwhelmed in like an hour. Never touched any of the games prior to it though.

There's actually a lot of popular franchises I've never or barely touched. Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, and I've oddly never really played a Crash Bandicoot game despite it being Spyro's cousin series. And of course, I've never touched any of the really violent games, Grand Theft Auto being the first to come to mind there.

The Zelda, Final Fantasy and Smash Bros series. Since I didn’t have a console, I missed out. I did play Zelda and Smash Bros on my friends Switch, but that’s about it

Almost anything outside of Nintendo really, since I've only ever owned Nintendo consoles. I own and I've played a few Sonic and other non-Nintendo games though, and I've played a few other non-Nintendo franchises here and there with friends, but most of the big titles on PlayStation, XBox or PC I've never played. I'm just not really into gaming that much.

Though even in regards to Nintendo, there are a few popular franchises I've never played, such as Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing.

Halo, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Warcraft, Assassin's Creed, Animal Crossing, Yu-Gi-Oh, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Bayonetta, God of War, that's all I can think of right now.

Last edited:
Halo, Call of Duty, Warcraft, Assassin's Creed, Animal Crossing, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Bayonetta, God of War, Grand Theft Auto, Metroid, Splatoon, and Magic the Gathering are ones that I never touched. I'm especially not fond of ultra violent games, as I've got a weak stomach for gore. I did briefly play one Zelda, Final Fantasy, and Super Mario game at a friend's house years ago but they never clicked with me and I find those franchises overrated anyway. I tend to prefer more obscure or lesser known titles/series, such as Breath of Fire, Code of Princess, and Shantae, as it makes them feel special to me, though I do play certain popular ones like Ratchet & Clank, Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon, and, obviously, Pokemon. Plus, a big reason why I don't play too many "big" titles is exposure issues, as game stores were rare for me, with my first real game store being a Gamestop that was built around the time Pokemon Platinum came out. So, yeah, there's a lot of big name game that I've either never touched or only tried once and put down immediately.

Grand Theft Auto, FIFA, Fortnite, and The Sims for me. Never personally saw any anything interesting for me in them, the first I have strong personal opinions against what you have the characters do (mainly cause it's setting is more realistic); the second is just that I'm not a big fan of soccer, unless it's in an animated series, or the game is more cartoony, then it's fine but otherwise more realistic is a no from me; Fortnite just looks like a chore for me to play, and it's fanbase is highly off-putting to me, I tried it's manga and that was kinda boring as well tbh; and The Sims just has a weird style in the way the characters act, simulation games are fine but this one also looks like a chore for me, and once again the fanbase kinda puts me off from it.

Pretty much everything violent/M rated save for Assassin's Creed (Odyssey) (and I guess Persona 5 is M rated, too, but not for the reasons I usually think of). That covers a ton of popular franchises. Including the one you mentioned, Resident Evil. Big nope for me. I hate horror.
Same same same SAME! I'm really squeamish, so I can't get into any things that are too bloody/violent (I do like the Until Dawn Fandub, though, as much as I'm scared of playing the game itself).

Outside of that, I've never touched the Final Fantasy series or the Sims (I REALLY want to try them, though).

Anything on the more violent side like GTA, Doom, Assassin's Creed, and so on, or horror games Resident Evil, Silent Hill, The Walking Dead, and so on. They're just not for me. I've never even touched Legend of Zelda.

Tales is probably the biggest one for me, unless you count Zestiria without even getting into any battles while trying to make my controller work properly on PC. That's probably going to change someday, though. Probably the most surprising to me that I have played is Call of Duty. Got Black Ops to play with a now-ex of mine. That didn't end so well and I had to break it off, but I did like CoD - though it's pretty much the same game every year, so one time was plenty. :p

Surprisingly it's Mario and Donkey Kong despite my growing up with Nintendo consoles. Those aside, there's CoD, Fifa, Dark Souls (and Fromsoft's other soulsborne games), Megaman, Silent Hill, Fortnite, Overwatch, Splatoon, The Walking Dead, etc. I'm just not interested in those franchises.

Same same same SAME! I'm really squeamish, so I can't get into any things that are too bloody/violent (I do like the Until Dawn Fandub, though, as much as I'm scared of playing the game itself).

Outside of that, I've never touched the Final Fantasy series or the Sims (I REALLY want to try them, though).

It took everything to convince me to play Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I played it with the blood turned off, but even then it was still too much for me, of course. And the tombs and caves terrified me at times. lol. Was definitely out of my element playing that, but gosh darn AC games are really neat because they explore historical locations during historical times (also being open-world is a huge plus, I love open world). I may pick up Valhalla when I have money again, I hate to say. (I also hate to say because Ubisoft is a rotten company).

I most certainly won't be getting into any other games like that, though. Nope. Absolutely not. AC is a VERY special exception.

It took everything to convince me to play Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I played it with the blood turned off, but even then it was still too much for me, of course. And the tombs and caves terrified me at times. lol. Was definitely out of my element playing that, but gosh darn AC games are really neat because they explore historical locations during historical times (also being open-world is a huge plus, I love open world). I may pick up Valhalla when I have money again, I hate to say.

Valhalla is the most violent AC out there I believe. It involves combo sequences where you basically behead your opponent. I don't know how much gore you can turn off, but maybe playing AC Valhalla might not be such a good idea if you're complaining that Odyssey is already violent.

Valhalla is the most violent AC out there I believe. It involves combo sequences where you basically behead your opponent. I don't know how much gore you can turn off, but maybe playing AC Valhalla might not be such a good idea if you're complaining that Odyssey is already violent.
Oooh. :O Yeah, that's a bit too much for me. Thanks for letting me know!!

I'm sure there will be a Discovery Tour version which I can play someday if I can't handle it. (That's what I told myself with Odyssey, but then I ended up actually playing Odyssey).

It took everything to convince me to play Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I played it with the blood turned off, but even then it was still too much for me, of course. And the tombs and caves terrified me at times. lol. Was definitely out of my element playing that, but gosh darn AC games are really neat because they explore historical locations during historical times (also being open-world is a huge plus, I love open world). I may pick up Valhalla when I have money again, I hate to say. (I also hate to say because Ubisoft is a rotten company).

I most certainly won't be getting into any other games like that, though. Nope. Absolutely not. AC is a VERY special exception.
Assassin's Creed sounds like such an interesting idea for a game, and if I wasn't so scared of blood, I would probably, at the very least, watching other people play it.

Assassin's Creed sounds like such an interesting idea for a game, and if I wasn't so scared of blood, I would probably, at the very least, watching other people play it.

Me being a history nerd, I just naturally was drawn to it. Of course, Odyssey is not accurate to what actually happened in ancient Greece, but still. It's really neat to see ancient/historical areas recreated, and with graphics as they are now, exploring the areas is just so immersive.

Anyway, I don't want to go too off-topic here. I will say that at least in Odyssey even though I turned off blood, the blood that's on the environments is still there. It's just that when you attack enemies you don't see blood. Really wish some of that other stuff could have been removed. But if you play the Discovery Tour version there's none of that, but that game is edutainment. I love it, but not everyone will be that interested. lol.

Yeah, I otherwise avoid violent games and plan to keep on doing so, and really the instant Assassin's Creed stops going to interesting settings or stops being historical I'd be like "nope" altogether.

Back
Top Bottom