• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Popular game franchises you've never played.

Despite really wanting to play it, I've never played Persona or Shin Megami Tensei. For the former I don't have the consoles necessary for it and I'm just waiting fruitlessly for Switch ports since I don't want to waste money that I could save for school (or a system I do have) on a consoles I'll only play for a few games, the latter I just never got around to but I'm still unsure.

Never really wanted to play Undertale, never got the charm for it despite being a fan of Toby Fox himself ironically thanks to early exposure from his sporadic appearances on StephenVlog. Plus the fanbase really just ruined all the surprises for me and made me never get into it at all.

Forttrash is another one, but I don't need to go into reasons why. It says why by itself, how it got popular is besides me.

I guess also anything else non-Nintendo but I do own an Xbox 360 but I don't really have many games for it and nowadays I just have it around to play an outdated update to Minecraft on there and as a obsolete DVD player nowadays unless we lose our internet and TV during storms.

Nintendo related, but I don't really play Star Fox. I tried 64 3D but I really couldn't get into it at all, it's just lackluster for me, even after the first few minutes. Granted, I've never been the one for shooters like that sans Kid Icarus Uprising.

Despite the fact that it seems that I have played at least one or a few games from several game series', popular or otherwise, there are many that I haven't tried.

Splatoon - I did consider grabbing this at the time, but I didn't really use my WiiU much and this ended up just kind of passing me by.

Starcraft & Warcraft - I've tried RTS games and realized that they're just not my thing, so I, of course, haven't really bothered with these widely popular titles, either; which is too bad, because I think I would have dug the lore of these game worlds. I have considered WoW, but I almost don't see much point to it when I could stick with SWTOR.

Assassin's Creed - Haven't played yet, but I do own two games in this series that I will try at some point, plus maybe others.

Shin Megami Tensei/Persona - I've recently tried one of the SMT titles but just stopped after a few missions, and I'm not sure if this series really is my cup of tea, after all. I may try Persona to confirm once and for all if that kind of game is for me at some point, though.

The Sims - Not interested in life-simulation games in general.

Grand Theft Auto - I believe I may have briefly played a bit of my former roommates' copy of GTAV, but otherwise haven't touched this series at all. I got more of a kick out of watching others play. Lol

Other popular series I haven't played for one reason or another include Metal Gear, Fortnite, OverWatch, Goldeneye, Kid Icarus, Among Us, Minecraft and probably a few others.

uh. a lot. LOL. where do i start?

• Dark Souls. - never really cared for those types of games.
  • Halo - not really my type of game. i can appreciate the odd FPS here and there, but i've never really gotten an xbox nor have i ever really wanted one, so i've never really had an opportunity to play the halo games.
  • Tekken/Street Fighter - does this fall into popular? i'd imagine so, but i've played like, one tekken game ever. i'm not a huge fighting game person, for what it's worth. DBZ fighting games are about as far as i would go.
  • Jak and Daxter - this is more... old school popular i suppose, but i've never really played J&D because i was too stuck playing Ratchet & Clank
  • Undertale - look, i have too many games in my backlog to do, this is WAY in the backburner.
  • Splatoon - i played a bit of Splatoon 2, but it wasn't my thing. i don't think i was completely fair to it though; i think i should've gotten farther in the plot or something, or played a few rounds online to get more into the appeal of it.
  • Persona - played a bit of Persona 5, not my thing. i think the fact that you have such a time limit (from what i remember) and you have to balance that time limit with not only growing your character socially but also in battle is something that stressed me out. i don't mind the balance of slice-of-life vs actually getting Serious, but i feel as if Persona is trying to rush me and i don't like that.
  • Resident Evil - i don't like zombies. i hate zombies.
  • Gran Theft Auto - not my type of game.

Metal Gear Solid or literally any kind of stealth series.

I don't think I'll ever check them out mostly because stealth isn't my cup of tea hence why I always roll my eyes in annoyance whenever one of the games I have in my collection has a stealth section in it and half the time they do said sections so poorly.

literally just dark souls. mainly because I'm so versatile in games played I've even tried stuff like madden that I would never otherwise 15 years ago.

that being said I do wanna try dark souls.

Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid: Hiding and running past my enemies isn't something I'm fond of. Shame too since I actually like the characters and story for RE and MGS. I used to watch my brother play these a lot and enjoy the story with him.

Street Fighter: Similar deal with the above. I generally suck at fighting games and no amount of accessibility short of hooking the controls directly to my brain is gonna make me better. I did play some Mortal Kombat a long time ago but that was when the game wasn't highly complex or competitive.

Souls games: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Sekiro and the rest. My personal taste in action games is fast and hectic so the slower pace of those games isn't for me. Aesthetically pleasing tho.

• Grand Theft Auto: never really appealed to me as a concept, never really had access to the platforms the games were on.
  • The Sims: I have friends who swear by it, but I'm not really a fan of simulation games!
  • Assassin's Creed: lack of access until recently with the Switch. I actually picked up a physical edition of The Ezio Collection on Switch, so looking forward to trying that out.
  • Resident Evil: So I did try out Revelations on the 3DS a few months back, but didn't get very far. I feel like I need to start with the original, or figure out a definitive play order before I try this series out.
  • Star Wars: Haven't played Lego Star Wars or any of the older Star Wars games (I think they're a bit before my time, anyway). Played a bit of Battlefront with some friends in high school at one of their houses, but not enough to consider that I've "played a game in the series," at least enough to judge it.
  • Tomb Raider: Lack of access strikes once again, I feel like I might actually enjoy it if I gave it a try.
  • Dragon Quest: This one might be a surprise! I just never really got into it as a kid, and I didn't have many friends who played it much either, though I did see it get advertised a lot.
  • Halo: Back when Halo was huge (with 3 and ODST), I had a 360, but my parents didn't let me play shooters. I had a lot of friends who played it though.
  • Borderlands: Just didn't really garner much interest for me until the third one released and everyone said it was really good.
  • The Elder Scrolls: Yeah, so this is the big one honestly. SOOOO many of my friends love TES and I've tried to get into it twice; first with Skyrim, but was overwhelmed with the open world, and again with TES Online, but I just don't have the dedication to spend time in MMOs, nor the computer to run them. I own Skyrim on the Switch, and...one of these days, I'll finally get around to it.

GTA (and I never will)
Final Fantasy (Though I'm familiar with it)
Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Splatoon, Dark Souls. (Eh)
Xenoblade, Persona, Zelda, Dragon Quest (maybe if I had the time)
FNAF (how this one is popular I may never understand)

Part of me wishes I had more time to play more games, but at the same time, I could also watch a playthrough or something if I'm intrigued by a game but am not interested in going out of my way to play it.

Gosh, a ton. FNAF, Left 4 Dead, GTA, The Sims, Dark Souls, Metroid, Roblox, Fortnite, Overwatch, Apex Legends.. the list can go on almost forever. Most of these games are genres/types that don't interest me whatsoever. Played Splatoon for the first time today though! This is one of the few I could see myself enjoying that I hadn't touched up until now.

Legend of Zelda and Mario games. I know that most gamers consider them 'must play' classics but frankly I just never got the appeal of both. For Mario, I am not a fan of platformers and party games in general plus I grew up poor and never played them in my childhood so nostalgia factor isn't there for me. Plus, I kind of like my game story heavy, I never understood why someone praises some of the shallowest/most silly stories in the world as legendary. To each their own, I guess. As for Zelda, I did try to play some entry and quit after a while because of insufferable boredom. I am not a fan of lonely gameplay where you just run around and kind of explore the environment. I'd easily take more streamlined story with solid social element over it.

God, I have so many.

FNAF - Not my type of game. Though I love the FNAF 2 hallway noise.
The Sims series - I once played it on my sister’s computer, but not interesting.
Roblox - So much trash games there. I will never play ittttttt!!!!111
Fortnite - never.
I just play Pokémon and Absolutely nothing more.

There’s a ton of popular franchises that I never really got into, including many that I likely would’ve if it weren’t for certain life circumstances that pulled me away from video games for a very long time. That said, the biggest one of all that I’ve never played any entries in, ever, is probably Final Fantasy. I actually came close to having FFX be my first foray into the series when I was around 12 years old or so, but fate (and my parents’ complete aversion to anything with “blood” in the ESRB description, haha) led me to the Kingdom Hearts series instead. The rest is history…

There are also several other franchises where I briefly tried out a single entry and simply never continued beyond a few sessions out of either lack of interest or lack of time, but they’re all too many to list here and arguably outside the scope of this thread anyway, I think.

I've never played a first person shooter. I've also never played Animal Crossing or farming games such as Harvest Moon/Rune Factory.

Almost all of them. Don't look that good really. I just played a smattering of random games and they usually weren't that popular, today mostly forgotten.

Back
Top Bottom