• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Portugese names

Politoed666

#winning
Reaction score
Is there a general consensus that Portugese is a notable enough language to have translations for in articles? It seems to me that there are an awful lot of users adding various Portugese language variant translations to pages...

IMO we should stick with English, Japanese, and possibly Spanish. I mean, if we stray farther than that, why not have translations for Dutch? And French? And Arabic? I mean, I don't have a problem on Pokémon pages, but with locations, items, episode titles, etc. it just seems like overkill.

I don't see why "in other languages" has to meet some notability standard, although I'd prefer to link to the other EP wikis if that page exists in that other EP wiki. For languages that aren't covered by EP, I'm all for inclusion.

Apparently there is a large Brazilian fanbase, so is it surprising that we have Brazilian Portuguese entries being added to these tables?

How many languages is the anime or games officially shown in? It seems like if we were going to draw a line, that would be a good place to draw it.

For the games, if the game isn't officially released in a language, there shouldn't be a translation for that language.

For the anime, if it's not dubbed in that language, it probably shouldn't have a translation.
I know the anime might be the more complicated one, since it's surely subtitled in a ton of languages. But in that case, I think it should come down to "official" subtitles (I.E., subtitled by the company that produces Pokémon, subtitles from official DVDs, and so on).

How is Pokémon broadcast in Brazil? Is it broadcast on television with subtitles, or is it fully dubbed, or does the Brazilian fanbase watch it online with fan-made subtitles or translations? Because I think that should be a deciding factor if we want Brazilian Portuguese translations on the wiki. If it's official, than I say we keep them.

Geo - a.k.a. Jioruji Derako

Let's just hope Iberian Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese don't differ as much as Spanish does between Latin America and the Iberian Peninsula.

Maybe we could use a div to align them in a couple columns, so the list isn't a mile long, but as long as the wiki keeps the opening lines of the article in English and Japanese only, I'm good.

Cartoon network does good with pokemon in Brazil,but it rarely appears in tv here in brazil.Rede tv,a place where it is more shown,have 0% of knowledge.They even changed the master quest logo to look like a fifth generation logo!and they were on johto saga,then jumped to the final of hoenn saga,then got back to johto...

The anime is dubbed in more than 30 languages (yeah, that's right). We don't have contributors that know most of them, though.

Personally, for episode titles, I see no issue listing all languages we know. It's official titles, and in many cases the dubbed title is not a direct translation of the original, which I find quite interesting. But that's just episodes. The rest I'm not sure about.

Although, if we don't want to list other languages, why do we HAVE an "in other languages" section? Japanese and English are already in the article anyway.

How is Pokémon broadcast in Brazil? Is it broadcast on television with subtitles, or is it fully dubbed, or does the Brazilian fanbase watch it online with fan-made subtitles or translations?

Fully dubbed, official. Pokemon carts are the most popular carts for the nintendo handhelds here. It's like GB/GBC/GBA/NDS -> Pokemon

Let's just hope Iberian Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese don't differ as much as Spanish does between Latin America and the Iberian Peninsula.

Almost the same, it's like the UK and the US english differences =p.

For the games, if the game isn't officially released in a language, there shouldn't be a translation for that language.

That's not right, we have pokemon in Italian and it's not even on the most used languages on the internet. All the commercials we have are in Portuguese and we have adaptions of the English names on the anime and commercials. The problem is, we don't have a Nintendo division in Brazil and Latamel (the official Nintendo importer) doesn't do translations, so yeah.

I already finished my English course, I don't need to read things in Portuguese, but including at least 20 milion pokemon fans would be a start thing.

How many languages is the anime or games officially shown in? It seems like if we were going to draw a line, that would be a good place to draw it.

The game were translated only to: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Korean.

Also, I accept Chinese names because of them being unique and relatively consistent (though it's often very confusing which region is the name from [there is PRC, Taiwan and Hong Kong] and several differences between anime and manga translations occure).

As for Portuguese and Dutch move names, I'm not sure if they are legit. They might simply be fantranslations. Or even if they're from anime, the anime dubs tend to be VERY inconsistent with move translations (especially when different studios dub each season). For example, Polish dub. In one episode Flamethrower was "Miotacz Ognia", in another "Miotacz Płomieni", in yet another "Wyrzutnia Płomieni" etc. The move translations in Polish practically vary between episodes and that's why I don't add them (the last studio which dubbed season 11 was more consistent with move names but it's still not perfect and some translations are completely ridiculous [like Double-Edge got translated to some idiotic "Podwójne Uderzenie Kantem"].

However, I added Polish names for towns, as those are way more apparent and consistent (this applies only to Kanto, later town names are same as in English).

So, I guess that non-game translations are okay when they are completely legit and well-estabilished. If they're not, they shouldn't be considered as notable (the problem is, how to check that).

I'm also doubting the notability of all those Portuguese, Filipino, Ainu, Esperanto, Klingon, Newspeak and Pig Latin VA pages. They're mostly eternal stubs. Some are also ridiculous (like that Filipino Voice Actress, whose article looked like a dating service page, but that got deleted).

OK, so basically, it all depends on what section we're talking about.

Moves, I tend to agree with Maxim. Only languages the games are translated to. The rest is probably from the anime, which, as we all know, makes plenty of mistakes, and is inconsistent as hell.

Anime episodes, I see no issue with listing all foreign names. Many of them aren't translations, they're actually different titles, and they're official.

For VAs, the things Maxim stated are the exact reason I brought up the subject of VA notability in a chat a while ago, and we came up with notability rules that are on Project VA's page. They're not all stubs, and many of them, IMHO, are notable.

I keep articles on Italian songs, because they're completely different songs written especially for the Italian dub. Project TV has articles about some international stations (the stubbish ones should probably go, but that's another issue). Some international stuff are notable.

Well, if Bulbapedia is getting so much Portugese stuff, (Nº 6 language on the internet) why not add another Encyclopediae Pokémonis?

Speaker of Portuguese.

We've got six other wikis in German, Japanese, Polish, French, Portuguese, and Spanish. GO AND HELP. DON'T PUT ALL THEIR VA PAGES ON BULBA. None of the other EP wikis even have Ash's two VAs with their own pages (only PokéWiki even lists them, it seems). Heck, Pokémon Wiki doesn't really even note the English dub because it's derivative from their own, just like the international dubs are derived from the English one.

A list? Great. Actual pages? C'mon.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom