• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Porygon not really "plastic"?

The existence of Metagross would disagree on that point because it's been explicitly stated that these are robots. They need to have been created at some point with the ability to replicate themselves even Hoyle's Boeing-story couldn't explain the fact that they are conscious etc.
Cases like Voltorb or Magnemite could be considered borderline as could most of the Steel pokémon out there. They can't be considered normal organisms either so in theory they need a background story to pertaining to their creation and exact biological set up.

I still don't really understand what Porygon actually is because it's not a hologram or a robot. It appears to be something in between and able to influence control over the state of it#s being, seemingly being able to switch from a virtual existence in cyber space to appearing here in the "real" world.

How is Metagross a magnetic robot? None of the dexes say it and there's no references on the wiki. I wish that there was just to confirm it, but it does seem like it's organic as all the dexes talk about nervous systems and brains, things that wouldn't normally come with robots, maybe with androids, but highly unlikely.

The "teh" is on purpose xD

teh Wiki said:
Beldum is a robotic lifeform that has a long body with a set of claws sticking out of its rear end.

teh wiki said:
Even though Beldum and its evolved forms are mechanical creatures, they still have emotions, the need to eat and a way of reproducing.

teh Wiki said:
Metang is a robotic lifeform that has a disc-shaped body with a pair of appendages that resemble Beldum.

While not pure robots they do seem to be cyborgs of some shape or form. I know it doesn't actually state that their skin is made up of metal, but one must consider that they are of the steel type and their skin is pretty tough according to the pokédex entry: "Its body is so tough, even a crash with a jet plane won't leave a scratch".
I maintain the belief that they are a mix of robot and organism that was created in some research lab.

Those entries could have been put in by anyone. It was never officially stated that Beldum, etc. are robotic or mechanical. They are a form of living metal. A lot of Pokémon seem to have originated outside the planet (Deoxys, Lunatone and Solrock come to mind), so Beldum may be alien. This kind of makes sense since Steven Stone spends a lot of time in Meteor Falls. He had to get his first Beldum somewhere.

Last edited:
I will admit wiki isn't free or safe from rogue edits. I do however think that the information given is at least partially accurate, it baffles me why anyone would want to edit stuff like that in. We haven't been provided with that much material or that many facts about Metagross, so most of the discussion here is speculation. It could have come from out of space, but then again the first copies may have originated from a research lab. We shall never know for sure unless they publish some evidence in favour of either. That's why I hope they do some manga on Porygon and possibly some animé or manga for Metagross.

I agree with that. Who really knows unless they provide more manga/anime about the two.

That also brings up the second point of, how do people really know this stuff to edit the Wiki? There's a lot of stuff on the Wiki that makes me question it. The Beldum to Metagross is one of them. Sources would be nice...

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom