• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Positive Aspects of Journeys

ehh123

Reaction score
This thread is about stuff you like about Journeys so far.

Mine is the focus of characterization. We have learned a lot about Goh and Chloe over a short time. Each of Ash's Pokemon has a distinct personality and even Goh's multiple Pokemon kept at Cerise Park got a chance to shine in JN023, especially those mischievous Sandile and Misdreavus.

The returning characters. It’s been an absolute blast seeing the likes of characters such as Lance, Korrina and eventually most of the Alola crew (Kiawe, Sophocles, Lana and Mallow), even the little cameos of Professor Elm and Diantha raises a smile. The fact we’ll be seeing more raises me with excitement just wondering who will show up next.

The dub performances (excluding James and Meowth but then again that’s a given considering I’m not too much of a fan of JCC’s portrayal of them) and the dub now being bi-coastal allowing them to choose from a much wider variety of voice actors while still allowing the NY talent to shine. As I previously mentioned, Ray Chase as Cerise, Zeno Robinson as Goh and Wayne Grayson as Lance (mostly for how better he sounds here compared to any of the 4Kids episodes Lance was in) have been some of the highlights for me.

I would also like to say Ash and the PWC but I’ll hold off for now until we get to see how the other battles fare but it’s a nice change of pace for Ash, Pikachu and his other Pokémon.

Last edited:
The stuff with the World Championship series/W.C.S is a good and interesting way of spicing things up. I will not lie, there is a reason I wrote the origins of it into my own fic: it is an idea worth exploring further by fan writers who can remove the stuff we don't like.

I'll also chime in and say the returning characters. I honestly would've been happy with them just showing up, but so far, they've all been written in exceptionally well and actually add to the plot, which is a huge bonus. The Vermilion gym episode is still my absolute favorite of Journeys so far; it was just so incredibly well done.

I've also really liked how they've been developing Goh and Chloe. They both have pretty unique personalities that we haven't really seen in existing characters yet, and both have already made strides over the first 30+ episodes. I think it's great that neither one has been stagnant in their personal growth and we still have a long way to go in the series for it to continue.

I've also really liked how they've been developing Goh and Chloe. They both have pretty unique personalities that we haven't really seen in existing characters yet, and both have already made strides over the first 30+ episodes. I think it's great that neither one has been stagnant in their personal growth and we still have a long way to go in the series for it to continue.
Goh's family overall is probably the most realistic and relatable family we've ever seen in the Pokémon anime.

The returning characters is always a good thing, especially if they are characters from long ago like Lance and a professor Elm cameo.

I also like how they use and portray Mimey this series. It gets loads of development and is portrayed as a really underrated battler as well.

many for me \o/

- Go! I honestly like him a lot, as well as his Japanese VA. I like how excited he gets when he talks about Pokémon, it's pure and sweet. And I actually like the fact that he wants to catch all Pokémon - it's a goal we haven't really seen before and gives the series a different feel. His connection to Ash makes him seem like the brother Ash never had. It's really cute. I'm really excited to see more of him and his family (who are also super cute with a great dynamic).
- The returning characters. Mentioned a lot already, but characters like Korrina coming back is something we'd probably never have seen if Journeys didn't focus on traveling across regions. I'm really happy to see fairly minor characters from several generations ago making comebacks like this, and am eager to see more.
- Chloe is adorable. When comparing her to other female characters her age from previous sagas, I think she has the nicest-looking design. I also love her personality, is reminiscent of the OG episodes to me. She's an interesting character and seeing her grow to love Pokémon more over time will be something I'll look forward to a lot. :enzap:
- Even if it's not done too well atm (my ideal is taking more time to travel between regions and spending more than a single episode there), I love that we get to see other regions at all. It's nice to get focus on different parts of the Pokémon world beyond just the region a saga is set in. Opens up doors for more lore and episodes focused on things we may not have seen when Ash traveled through that region.
- A lot of the battles have been really good so far. Looking forward to more quality battles!
- Yamper!!
- Gigantamax Pikachu is a sweet chubby boy
- Ash's Dragonite has made me love Dragonite

There's definitely more, but this is what I can think of off the top of my head.

This one scene:

Ebu1rVfU0AE72g8.jpg

Is it me or is Meowth trying to 'showcase' a fight of TRio taking on Ash/Pikachu and Goh/Scorbunny with those little toy soldiers at the bottom?
So the plan goes:
TRio(the 3 soldiers) surround Ash pikachu and scorbunny/raboot, knock Ash out (the blue toy laying on its front), then Lance and Leon come attack them(gyarados and charizard), now they are choosing their runaway vehicle.
Simple and not effective

For me, Ash retaining his competency and trainer skills rather than being reset, return of battles, them giving Ash a chance to get all-star Pokémon from previous regions (along with his being able to catch older Pokémon period without the need for them having an evolution in the current gen), the concept of the PWC, and old returning characters.

• Marshtomp is in an opening!
  • The battles are amazing. They have used unusual moves and very interesting strategies, and they have truly great and fast-paced animations. Also, it really feels refreshing that we don't have to deal anymore with "creative" ways to prevent Z-moves from causing OHKNOs and commentaries from 5+ characters. Battles also feel more common than in SM and the first half of XY.
  • The plot of Ash battling important characters is very interesting as well as the uncertainty of who's going to appear next.
  • Pokemon from all generations appearing constantly including some underrated ones like Marshtomp.

There's probably more but for now I just wanted to celebrate that Marshtomp was in the opening.

I like how most of Ash's PWT battles don't take too much time. Sure I wish Ash would stop using Pikachu in most of them since Pikachu has had enough battle screentime but at least the writers don't clog most of the episodes with PWT battles.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom