• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Possible dlc

Actually there is. A third version is a game you buy at the shops with full content. DLC is just small amounts of content you download for games. I take a full third version game over DLC any day in my opinion. Agree to disagree.

The full content is the exact same content as the original versions, with just extra features. If Gamefreak decided to stop doing third versions and replaced them with DLC, you would end up with the exact same amount of content, while paying less for it.

Actually there is. A third version is a game you buy at the shops with full content. DLC is just small amounts of content you download for games. I take a full third version game over DLC any day in my opinion. Agree to disagree.

Okay there....

And that's not even going into the fact that Fire Emblem Fates' alternate version could also be downloaded as a DLC at a discounted price

The full content is the exact same content as the original versions, with just extra features. If Gamefreak decided to stop doing third versions and replaced them with DLC, you would end up with the exact same amount of content, while paying less for it.
Actually no you don't. Third versions have more extra content than DLC provides. Therefore neither is the same. Again, we have to agree to disagree.

^So we're ignoring how another franchise has literally sold an entire third version (which not only had unique gameplay but had more content than the originals) as DLC at a discounted price....

^So we're ignoring how another franchise has literally sold an entire third version (which not only had unique gameplay but had more content than the originals) as DLC at a discounted price....
What are you talking about? DLC and third version are far different. It is not hard to tell the difference. DLC is unlikable and unwanted for pokemon games in my opinion.

What are you talking about?

He's talking about Fire Emblem Fates. About how when you bought one version of the game for free, you got the other digitally for a discounted price, and how the third version of the games is a DLC only package.

Third versions have more extra content than DLC provides.

Considering Pokemon has never done DLC before, we have nothing for that comparison.

The Delta episode in ORAS gave you pretty much everything that a hypothetical DeltaEmerald would have had, with the one notable exception of the Battle Frontier. I miss the Battle Frontier, but don't want to pay an extra £40 for it.

A Battle Frontier would probably have been more like $10 than $40.

There will more than likely continue to be free DLC and events for Pokemon. That has always been the case and always will be. But if they start with a paid DLC plan that's akin to Fire Emblem's recent successes (say for example and full Battle Frontier) I would pay for that.

There's a crossroads that you always come to in these kinds of situations. A third version update allows for changes to the originals that needed to be made, but does that appeal to the market anymore? With the ability to patch games easily these days (and let's be real, Pokemon has always had some major bugs) and the ability to add new content at a fair price later third versions just do not seem economically viable

The only somewhat valid reason for a third version these days is porting to a new system. Sadly, Yokai Watch has third versions just because, but at least there is free DLC that covers some (most?) of the added content.

I don't expect Sun and Moon to be patched at all, but maybe the (hypothetical) 2018 games will get DLC in 2019 in the event of a gap year. 2015 could have really benefitted from DLC.

Actually no you don't. Third versions have more extra content than DLC provides. Therefore neither is the same. Again, we have to agree to disagree.

What are you basing this on? Pokemon (main series) has never had paid DLC, therefore you have nothing to base your "a third game would have more in it than DLC would" opion on.

Anyway, if it extends playtime etc then sure why not... although it'd be a dick move if it's for mega stones and stuff that should've been in. If it's like extra clothes then that's cool.

One thing I really like about Pokémon compared to some other video game franchises is that there's no paid DLC. When you buy the game, you get the whole game. Paid DLC in games only comes across to me as buying a burger at full price and just getting half of the top bun, it's a practice that I personally hope the main series never delves into.

One thing I really like about Pokémon compared to some other video game franchises is that there's no paid DLC. When you buy the game, you get the whole game. Paid DLC in games only comes across to me as buying a burger at full price and just getting half of the top bun, it's a practice that I personally hope the main series never delves into.

That's a fundamentally flawed way of viewing it, though. You buy the game and you get your burger, then DLC is your fries and drink. Whereas a 3rd version means that if you want fries and a drink you have to buy a whole second burger.

That's a fundamentally flawed way of viewing it, though. You buy the game and you get your burger, then DLC is your fries and drink. Whereas a 3rd version means that if you want fries and a drink you have to buy a whole second burger.
Disagree with all due respect. I love third version games and I take them over DLC any time. It would be annoying to buys bits of the game every month or so when you can get the whole game as one in my opinion.

I just had a brilliant thought. Game Freak could add the Pokémon that are missing Mega Evolutions and just have the corresponding Mega Stone as a wild held item!

That's about as much DLC as Pokémon fans are probably willing to handle, and it would solve the problem of transfered Pokémon stuck being Megaless.

By a bizarre coincidence, the only Mega Stones that are available in SM all correspond to Pokémon that are in the Alola Pokédex, with the exception of the Kanto Starters.

To be clear, I don't think there's actually any good reason for not letting us obtain the remaining Mega Stones. But I don't think they've restricted them just because "these ones are more popular"; rather, it's that aside from the special snowflake Kanto Starters, we can't obtain those Pokémon until the Bank update anyway, and even then, all Mega Evolutions are banned from the VGCs.
But they'll stick the Primal Orbs in some dude's antique store for ordinary money :confused: Oy vey...I wish they were all so readily available...Hoping for some update to the stores if possible.

Last edited:
Well...

I have a very odd feeling about DLC. The big thing I noticed about the games is how there are so very few housing buildings the player can go into. Lots of markets, laboratories, Aether stations, and shops you can go to, but "housing" - the places people live in - are really cut off in this game. I can literally name all the lone houses you can go into:

-Your own house
-Your neighbors in the town next to your home,
-Your professor.
-Guzma's home,
-Most of the Trial Captains
-The Delibird Berry Delivery Guy
-Most of the Kahuna's
-A Fishing Boat on Poni Island
-Maybe the Po-town Mansion could count, albeit borderline...
-The Oasis and Fossil trailers?
-Lusamine's Mansion, albeit with lots of cutoffs.

That's all the housing I could think of.

Even stranger, there are so many characters that used to have houses of some kind in previous games that could easily have been given houses of their own in the inaccessible spots provided. Several of the Move Tutors, the Move Deleter, the Name Rater, the Happiness Checker, Etc. are all either standing outside or in Pokemon Centers and lounges instead. I would have thought that Alolan Professor Oak would have been a house you could meet him in, but apparently not. And all that hotel space you can't access, nor the Golf course... I kind of wonder why there are so many closed off areas to a point of closing even the helpful staple characters away from living in them!

To me, it does feel like DLC or some other kind of update could fill these spaces off. Either that, or Game Freak is just trolling us once more. >.>

I wouldn't call it that. Content from previous games is exactly the kind of thing that DLC shouldn't be used for.
Meh. I'll admit that it's not ideal, but what makes QR code Island Scans different then locking the Mega Stones behind an event distribution?

I was just thinking of the most accessible way to get the missing Mega Stones, and I remembered the whole QR code Island Scan feature. Isn't that pretty much free DLC? Due to the possibility of the QR codes for Island Scan being put out there on the Internet, I would think that such a scenario of Island Scan held items for the missing Mega Stones would help more people to get access to their favorite Mega Evolutions.

If you still think it's a bad idea, then that's your point of view. I respect that. In any case, Island Scan QR code held items for Mega Stones is where I draw the line in regards to Pokémon DLC.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom