• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Possible Mass Shooting at Pokemon World Championships Stopped By Boston Police

Okay until there is official mainstream news about the motive, let's not jump to conclusions especially about religion. Consider this a mod note. We don't want to see any attacking on religions or assumptions perpetrated by a religious motive. The topic at hand is about what happened, let's not deviate.

Last edited:
Sorry if it came across wrong, I was ruling out the religious motive, for all religions, as well as the hating Pokemon motive.

The fun time on PWT is going to be a vast killing ground if this case never evaded.

Seriously why would anyone thinks Pokemon is dangerous, I kept this in mind. Both of they must have seen too much .exe version of Pokemon so they thought, "Shit! This is satanic! Let's shoot this franchise down."

The fun time on PWT is going to be a vast killing ground if this case never evaded.

Seriously why would anyone thinks Pokemon is dangerous, I kept this in mind. Both of they must have seen too much .exe version of Pokemon so they thought, "Shit! This is satanic! Let's shoot this franchise down."

How would someone who hates Pokemon and thinks its satanic manage to get into the masters division? Ive been a fan since the franchise came out and I'm not in the masters division

Someone said "Christian fundamentalist" now I don't live in the US, but is this really a thing? Does USA really have Christian fundamentalists carrying out terror attacks too?
I doubt it's something to do with hating Pokemon as these people were actually invited to/ qualified for the Master's division. Which means they must have been pretty hardcore fans surely? I mean you don't get to the masters division by just being a casual do you?

If it's just that they want to get famous why attack your own people, if your a huge pokemon fan why would you then go and attack other huge Pokemon fans?

Also it's interesting that we're not allowed to express an opinion on the death penalty here. Thought Bulba was more open than that. Shame :/

It does sometimes happen, yeah, but of course they aren't nearly on the same scale as Islamic/anti-American terrorists because the radical Christians at least don't hold a vendetta against every person living in this country. The big example of radical Christian violence in this country that comes to my mind is people who've shot up abortion clinics and murdered doctors who practice abortions, and that's happened several times, even within my own home state if I remember correctly. It puts a sick feeling in my stomach, but you know, those people usually have well-defined targets and a cause that they're crusading for (even if they usually end up bending their own rules in the heat of the moment).

Now, these Pokemon guys, I believe, are just attention seekers, and that means it makes sense that they'd be willing to target a room full of Pokemon fans, because these people don't are as long as they get their faces on the news. Kids target their high schools because that's where they're going anyway, these guys targeted a Pokemon championship because that's where they were going anyway.

We've actually had threads and discussions about the death penalty in the past, but I guess people decided that our fragile little hearts can't handle an argument, but that's off-topic anyway so I'll leave it at that.

We've actually had threads and discussions about the death penalty in the past, but I guess people decided that our fragile little hearts can't handle an argument, but that's off-topic anyway so I'll leave it at that.

Oh, you can discuss the death penalty. But you can't discuss it applying to specific people. Doesn't matter if that's the President of the United States, Bono, myself, or gun nut #3877256 . I should know, I helped draft that rule when one nutcase advocated it against a head-of-state. Don't see the difference? You can talk about the crime/incident, but not if they deserve to die for having guns in their car. Now I believe Figy said to drop it. So if the current staff will excuse me, drop it.

Debating the morality of the death penalty, and the death penalty in theory, is perfectly fine. Discussing the possible legal penalties for a specific crime (in this case, the death penalty isn't one) is also okay.

Wishing the death penalty on specific people in a thread that is NOT about the death penalty is not.

Last edited:
So far that I get from what I read. They just arrested from bring illegal weapon(s). They may or not to attempt to attack anyone. They may just attention seekers who feel 'cool' to bring the weapon and bluff to 'kill the competition', but may not actually plan to do anything.

I dont think this actually anything serious... just 2 'stupid' people happened to have illegal gun(s)... (not yet) harsh anyone, and not proved for any guilt so far.

I know sometime news people can be crazy with this stufff...

Also about death pinalty, even in my country where death pinalty is legal. It cant give to some people who, let say, not even yet, to harsh anyone.

First off, I have to say that this was sick. Why would anyone want to do this. It just seems like nothing is safe anymore, with school shootings like Columbine and Virginia Tech, the Colorado movie shooting, and now this. Is anyone safe anymore? This will probably go into a topic about gun control laws, the "second amendment" argument and such, which is always the case in these events. I think that either they were prepared to defend themselves from possible enemies, or more likely these two gunmen were attention seekers who were just jealous of everyone at the tournament and wanted everything to themselves, which is usually the case for most terrorist attacks, as terrorism is usually only performed to gain people's attention, be it positive or negative.

Also, I highly doubt these guys are the kind of people who think that Pokemon is allegedly "Satanic", because it isn't and never was. Christian fundamentalists tend to think that anything and everything that's widely popular and opposes their beliefs is "Satanic" and continue to want to live in the dark ages by shoving it down people's throats (they did it to The Wizard of Oz, Star Wars, and Harry Potter as well, in fact, pretty much every franchise has been criticized by fundamentalists at some point to some extent). I am not attacking any religion here, but besides, I thought we had moved way past that era. Regardless, if they didn't like Pokemon, then why would they even compete in the tournament at all?

On that topic, not all terrorists are Islamic, which has become a common misconception in recent years after the September 11th attacks, as terrorism has actually existed as a concept even before Islam existed, and it doesn't have to specifically revolve around religion, though it's usually about some form of ideology. I am not pinpointing these guys on any religious movements, regardless of what their faith is, especially since it is unlikely. But whatever reason these guys had, we should be glad they have been detained.

I think that either they were prepared to defend themselves from possible enemies, or more likely these two gunmen were attention seekers who were just jealous of everyone at the tournament and wanted everything to themselves
Ive got a hunch it was likely the second option. What the Police found was not what the average person would use for concealed carry self defence. Also with all of the Ammo and other things found, i dont know how the heck anyone could claim self defence when one of the guns is ILLEGAL for just about ANYONE to own or possess within the state of MA. Also with the guns not being properly stored for transport, it also raises more suspicion.

Also, I highly doubt these guys are the kind of people who think that Pokemon is allegedly "Satanic", because it isn't and never was. Christian fundamentalists tend to think that anything and everything that's widely popular and opposes their beliefs is "Satanic" and continue to want to live in the dark ages by shoving it down people's throats (they did it to The Wizard of Oz, Star Wars, and Harry Potter as well, in fact, pretty much every franchise has been criticized by fundamentalists at some point to some extent). I am not attacking any religion here, but besides, I thought we had moved way past that era. Regardless, if they didn't like Pokemon, then why would they even compete in the tournament at all?
I agree. the older guy's FB profile had a few Pokemon related things as well. Also the older guy had done a few competitions before hand

I can't help but to try to be optimistic and think that they're just two guys who like guns and made a stupid Twitter post. As has been said above, you don't just make it to masters by being a casual fan, nor does it really make sense to work your way up to masters just to go on a rampage. Then again, mass shootings never make any sense.

Either way, it's a shame that this incident had to happen at all and I hope that justice is served where due. I'll be interested to see what happens.

Could they just be gun enthusiasts who carry all this stuff around with them (NRA sticker on the guys car), and the twitter post was just a sick joke they never actually intended to carry out?

Perhaps I'm naive but I just struggle to get my head around the fact that a hardcore Pokemon fan (which you have to be to make it to masters) would actually plan a massacre on 1000s of other Pokemon fans many of whom are kids.

This is totally crazy, and thank God that any possible catastrophe was averted. Why doesn't the US just ban guns for Pete's sake?

This is totally crazy, and thank God that any possible catastrophe was averted. Why doesn't the US just ban guns for Pete's sake?
Because USA is a liberal country. Every people has its right to own things including guns. But of course, you need a certificate license for weaponry possession.

Because USA is a liberal country. Every people has its right to own things including guns. But of course, you need a certificate license for weaponry possession.
Psssssssssssht liberal my fat arse. (Depending on one's definition of the word liberal of course...) Why does anyone need to own an object whose only purpose is to maim or kill a living thing?

Looking into this story in more detail I'm fairly positive that these guys weren't gonna execute a full-on massacre judging by their status as invited competitors and the amount of ammo they had with them. With that out of the way the most straight forward thing you can say about this whole incident these two is that they are goddamn idiots. Judging from photos and other details collected from social media sites I can tell you Stumbo and Norton are gun enthusiasts with some attitude problems. They've had a history of expressing anger and confronting arguments with threats of violence. I assume this is the case because like many gun enthusiasts they have great pride in and passion for there interest. This can often lead these types of people to overreact or blow things out of proportion when in comes to confrontation and aggression. It's quite alright to have pride in your interests and hobbies but you absolutely cannot be a such stupid ass when it comes to something so dangerous and inciting. For Christ's sake there's already a huge problem with gun violence in this country! Even if you think you're joking around you have to realize when you've taken things too far. You think you're so big waving your guns around on Facebook exclaiming that you're gonna "kill the competition" and then actually take them to a large public event in one of the most well-known cities in the country with a recent history of terrorizing activity?! Of course you're gonna get your dumb ass arrested!! Show some self-control. Show some responsibility.

Last edited:
Psssssssssssht liberal my fat arse. (Depending on one's definition of the word liberal of course...) Why does anyone need to own an object whose only purpose is to maim or kill a living thing?

Although USA has a pretty large number of crimes, firing weapon is still needed for sense of security. Depends if your guns used as which purpose, it could do you good or bad stuff.

Back on topic, I felt like these two gunslingers only to look for sensation whether it's intentional or not. Kinda have to say we almost made New York Times tingling for putting a tragedy into their headline.

Although USA has a pretty large number of crimes, firing weapon is still needed for sense of security.
No it isn't. A change of attitude is all that is needed.

Depends if your guns used as which purpose, it could do you good or bad stuff.
Please tell me one use of a gun which could qualify for "good stuff". Even if you are attacked by a hypothetical criminal, seriously injuring (which is what guns do...) or killing that individual is not good. No one life is worth more than any other.

No it isn't. A change of attitude is all that is needed.

I see you're among the peaceful fellas who doesn't use violence as an answer. Fair enough, you are not the only one.

Please tell me one use of a gun which could qualify for "good stuff". Even if you are attacked by a hypothetical criminal, seriously injuring (which is what guns do...) or killing that individual is not good. No one life is worth more than any other.

Hmm, I'm not American so I don't quite understand their systematic workout when holding a gun for privacy. However, most Police forces and military do carry their weapon according to law and it's totally legal BUT it can be done if you're on duty. Even my country is very restrictive and banning guns for self-use.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom