• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Possible reasons for the Kalos League finale

The writers should at least consider the fan's POV. They spend 20 years of their lives rooting for Ash.

I'm sure they did. And I'm very certain that's the reason why they made Alain win initially. Notice how even those who didn't care about Ash winning or losing the League are confused as to why the writers made Alain the Champion? This is an intended audience reaction.

Last edited:
What a spoiler

and because Ash isn't allowed to win

The writers should at least consider the fan's POV. They spend 20 years of their lives rooting for Ash.

To be fair, I think that people watching the show for twenty years are well outside of the target demographic, so the writers wouldn't really factor them into the decision. Although, considering how many people who probably haven't seen the anime for years reacted to the finale, it is possible that this was the intended reaction they were going for.

Also, I'll edit the title to be less of a spoiler. I apologize for not doing so earlier.

Thing is that expectations and hope went way too high which is why there is major disappointment. Of course the episode was a bit too overhyped but I guess they wanted to attract a number of fans to watch it. Luckily I had prepare myself for the alternative winner and wasn't as disappointed that some are.

Last edited:
I don't think they could possibly do that when so many fans are feeling the sting of betrayal right now :/ The League is what people really cared about, and there's no going back on that now.

Many have felt the still of betrayal, but I do say it is not the end. My initial thoughts on the reason were hastily made and merely a general possibly. But I have reflected back quite a bit on what the events of the League were building up and realized one thing:

We're not done with Alain or the even Championship yet. The consequences of Alain winning will directly affect our characters during this Team Flare arc. Mainly on Alain's psyche. And really, one must realize that there is more to a Pokémon Master than simply winning a trophy at some tournament.

I say it's premature to give up on this show now. Not when many things are unresolved.

What I think now is that they advertised the episode on purpose, they actually were going to make him lose but they wanted people to watch the team flare arc. I think they have put a lot of effort into the arc. They knew that there will be a huge backlash from the fans so I think they have already setup something to compensate it. Or maybe they just don't care.

What I think now is that they advertised the episode on purpose, they actually were going to make him lose but they wanted people to watch the team flare arc. I think they have put a lot of effort into the arc. They knew that there will be a huge backlash from the fans so I think they have already setup something to compensate it. Or maybe they just don't care.
Nothing will compensate it. You know it yourself.

To be fair, I think that people watching the show for twenty years are well outside of the target demographic, so the writers wouldn't really factor them into the decision. Although, considering how many people who probably haven't seen the anime for years reacted to the finale, it is possible that this was the intended reaction they were going for.
Other cartoons and anime that target the same audience as pokemon don't treat their heroes as someone who loses every major battle. Kids want their heroes to win. Kids want Superman to win. Kids want Luffy to win. Kids want Yugi to win, and they want Naruto to win. Teaching kids how to accept a loss and learn from your mistakes is great and all but they did that way too many times to Ash.

Other cartoons and anime that target the same audience as pokemon don't treat their heroes as someone who loses every major battle. Kids want their heroes to win. Kids want Superman to win. Kids want Luffy to win. Kids want Yugi to win, and they want Naruto to win. Teaching kids how to accept a loss and learn from your mistakes is great and all but they did that way too many times to Ash.
After losing to Wulfrice, wasn't it enough....

Because the creative team has been spoon fed the mantra "If Ash wins the League, the Story is over" since day one. And they needed the Story to last as long as possible in order to keep the Show going to promote other parts of the franchise...

Remember: this show exists to advertise video games, toys, and other Pokémon merchandise. Telling a story--let alone a good one--is NOT a high priority. (even though they get it right sometimes)

Also note that this is mostly made for 10 year old kids. It's not like they especially care about longtime fans.
(unless, of course, it's convenient or they're desperate...:cautious:)

And here's the rub. The conflict between Ash and Alain isn't quite over yet. Especially when taking into account of your examples. Of course people want Superman to win, Luffy to win, Yugi to win, etc. But I also recall that those heroes do not win until they reached the peak of the climax. The Kalos League is not the climax, even if it feels like one to many. It's the rising action to the darkest hour.

And when was the last time Ash lost prior to Alain? Against Wulfric and Sawyer, where he went into a full depression mode. Against Alain and Diantha, there are not really losses (now that I think about it) as much as they are called off because of Ash's physical pain. Meaning that, if I remember correctly, there are a grand total of 3 or 4 losses for Ash prior to the League. And considering that the first battle against Alain was also the first time Ash has lost in over a year, that's quite an accomplishment.

And notice that much of the losses came from Alain battles. It's quite clear that he is the only obstacle (aside from Lysandre and Team Flare) left for Ash to overcome. Not just in battle and skill, but also in guidance to the right path.

I Agree;, I honestly think THEY REALLY Don't care!!!!

To be fair, those other characters tend to have to win in order to save the world and/or their friends. Ash winning the League doesn't determine the fate of the world or anything like that, so that's one reason why he loses. I do still think his victories in the Orange Islands and Battle Frontier count for something, even with the fanbase largely disregarding the Orange Islands just because it isn't a game related region League. That be said, Ash does need a major recent victory under his belt. While I think that winning the Battle Frontier is more impressive than becoming a regular region League is, it is also kind of getting harder to use that as a defense for Ash when it happened about ten years ago at this point.

Getting to the finals of the Kalos League is impressive in itself and that should be recognized too, but I can understand why fans want Ash to just win a League after all this time. It's one reason why I kind of hope that they'll change how they handle the Leagues in the future. They can have Ash win a League and still keep him around as the main lead for the next series. I don't know if they'll do that or if they'll ignore all the backlash they've gotten from the Kalos League, but I kind of like to hope that things could be different in the future, even though people might dismiss any victories he could have in the Alola region. People are already dismissing the series as a throw away season akin to the Orange Islands and we haven't learned much of anything about it other than it's one the way.

Ash isn't allowed to win the league, it's pretty much simple as that.

I don't get why every seems to think there's some hidden motive to Alain winning and more as to why they think he'll surrender his title or have it revoked. There's a difference between willingly helping someone do something wrong and unintentionally helping someone do something wrong. At no point has Alain been made aware of what Team Flare is actively involving themselves with, all he knows is their trying to do research and it coincided with his desire to become the best Mega Trainer. No one knows he helped TF capture Zygarde (Team Rocket are not worthy sources) and even then he'll come to regret it anyway seeing how it's being used. Even if he has a momentary weakness and does betray Ash, it's not like he won't right the wrong by turning on Lysandre. Heck, he might even play double agent by fooling TF into thinking he's still apart of their organization. If not, then that's where I think the writing staff screwed up royaly

If anything, I doubt Alain's going to feel at all like a Lumiose Conference winner in a few weeks time. While he was out there battling Ash and getting a rush from this, Team Flare's plans for Z2 were entering their final stages.

Unwittingly or not, he's played a large part in instigating this crisis by helping the team acquire Z2. Lysandre's played him like a complete puppet. I'm sure he's going to remember only this fall from his zenith whenever he looks at the trophy he won following the events of the Flare arc, instead of the feelings of triumph someone like Ash would have.

I'm not saying he should give it away to Ash or otherwise wish for a rematch. Alain won it. He won this league. Whether he likes it or not, it's his weight to bear. At least Ash is leaving that stadium with a shred of dignity.

he was in the top 2, thats high, dont know If Alan is battling against the league masters but they could make him the A Pokémon League Champion of Alola or a other generation and make Ash win that and fall to one of the Elite Four or to the Champion in a full battle.
There are many posibilities plus if he becomes master it would be interesting what next? whats after beating a master? will he take the role or would he try to win the next league to show he is worthy the title?

There was no conspiracy or rigging of any kind. Ash lost and that is that. Alain won't hand over the trophy and title. The two might battle again but I doubt it. The writers do care when it comes to writing arcs/episode. Ash lost because it is the status quo of the show. Also it is a good way to keep Ash on his journey in my opinion.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom