• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Possible reasons for the Kalos League finale

As someone pointed out in the review thread, Manon was probably the driving factor behind Alain's victory. His motivation to protect someone he deeply cares, even if going about it the wrong way, might have put him on top. In contrast, we do not see a similar motivation from Ash. It actually reminds me of the outcome of the Autumn Election finals in Shokugeki no Souma. Souma lost to Hayama and he asked to taste his rival's dish. He realized that Hayama's dish had something that his lacked, which was cooking for someone he cares for. That isn't to say I agree with Ash's loss, though :p
Alain had the power of love. Ash did not. That's the only difference between them excluding Team Flare.

Let's face it, I think it should be obvious by now that Ash will NEVER win a main series region's League, present or future (Orange Islands doesn't count since it wasn't featured in any main series primary paired games, and I know everybody's saying that Alola won't have a League). Even if the next league Ash competes in will be the last ever, Ash won't win that one either-in other words, the anime series will end without Ash ever winning a main series region's League.

I'd like to tell all those who got upset over the outcome "I told you so!" I do digress, though, that Ash never winning a main series League is one of the reasons why I feel the anime as a whole has become tired and dated.

It wasn't his fault. Anyone could have been tricked. Alain is not the villain that people make him out to be. The overreaction of Ash losing needs to stop. Whats done is done and this is how the writers choose to end the league. Deal with it.

As a bit of advice, it's probably not the best idea to tell people to just "deal with it." While I'm sure it's unintentional, it does come off as belittling or dismissive of others' feelings. You don't care that Ash lost and that's fine. That doesn't mean that people who are upset shouldn't be able to voice their opinions and explain why they think Ash should have won too.

While I don't think that Alain is a villain, I would say that it's still his fault. Sure, he was tricked, but just because that could happen to anyone doesn't excuse his actions and his role with Team Flare. He's still just as responsible for what Team Flare is doing as if he was fully aware of what their goals were from the start. Some characters will probably try to say that Alain isn't to blame when he does realize the truth, but he'll still carry guilt for his actions, assuming they go in that direction, especially if he did sold Ash out to Team Flare.

As for the question itself, it most likely has something to do with the Team Flare arc. Since they still don't know about Alain's involvement with them, it's possible that they're saving a major final fight between them during that arc. I don't know if that's going to involve Alain giving up his Championship title out of guilt/regret for his actions, if it's just to give Ash a Championship title while still losing the League or if it's an attempt to provide another Mega Charizard X vs. Ash-Greninja match because they sure do love that match-up, but I suspect that there will be some battle between them during or after Team Flare is defeated. Not sure if anything the writers do would help to recover any damage Alain winning has caused on the fanbase though.

As a bit of advice, it's probably not the best idea to tell people to just "deal with it." While I'm sure it's unintentional, it does come off as belittling or dismissive of others' feelings. You don't care that Ash lost and that's fine. That doesn't mean that people who are upset shouldn't be able to voice their opinions and explain why they think Ash should have won too.

While I don't think that Alain is a villain, I would say that it's still his fault. Sure, he was tricked, but just because that could happen to anyone doesn't excuse his actions and his role with Team Flare. He's still just as responsible for what Team Flare is doing as if he was fully aware of what their goals were from the start. Some characters will probably try to say that Alain isn't to blame when he does realize the truth, but he'll still carry guilt for his actions, assuming they go in that direction, especially if he did sold Ash out to Team Flare.

As for the question itself, it most likely has something to do with the Team Flare arc. Since they still don't know about Alain's involvement with them, it's possible that they're saving a major final fight between them during that arc. I don't know if that's going to involve Alain giving up his Championship title out of guilt/regret for his actions, if it's just to give Ash a Championship title while still losing the League or if it's an attempt to provide another Mega Charizard X vs. Ash-Greninja match because they sure do love that match-up, but I suspect that there will be some battle between them during or after Team Flare is defeated. Not sure if anything the writers do would help to recover any damage Alain winning has caused on the fanbase though.
It really annoys me that people think it is the end of the world/series because Ash lost the league. It wasn't the first time he has lost and it won't be the last. Everyone thinks that the anime is suppose to fill their wishlist but it doesn't work like that. What really ticks me off is when someone gives me attitude when I replied to post saying that Ash's losing is not that big of a deal. People who think that the region/league/series is terrible because it didn't go their way are acting like spoiled children (not to be mean). Everyone just wants to bash Alain as much as they want and they show too much favoritism to Ash.

Was there reasons and signs for Ash winning? Yes but they never confirm that he would win. It is the fans own fault for getting their hopes up and expect their dreams to come true.

It really annoys me that people think it is the end of the world/series because Ash lost the league. It wasn't the first time he has lost and it won't be the last. Everyone thinks that the anime is suppose to fill their wishlist but it doesn't work like that. What really ticks me off is when someone gives me attitude when I replied to post saying that Ash's losing is not that big of a deal. People who think that the region/league/series is terrible because it didn't go their way are acting like spoiled children (not to be mean). Everyone just wants to bash Alain as much as they want and they show too much favoritism to Ash.

Was there reasons and signs for Ash winning? Yes but they never confirm that he would win. It is the fans own fault for getting their hopes up and expect their dreams to come true.

It's the writers' own damn fault for hyping up the episode acting as if Ash had a real possibility of winning if they had already decided he was going to lose yet again (and snatched away right at the brink, just to make it even more insulting). And of course people are going to show favouritism towards Ash, he's the main protagonist!

Also, this "I'm going to pretend to be neutral so I can look morally superior" attitude of yours is perhaps even more aggravating than the "I told you so" / "lol anime" trolls on GameFAQs and the chans.

It's the writers' own damn fault for hyping up the episode acting as if Ash had a real possibility of winning if they had already decided he was going to lose yet again (and snatched away right at the brink, just to make it even more insulting). And of course people are going to show favouritism towards Ash, he's the main protagonist!

Also, this "I'm going to pretend to be neutral so I can look morally superior" attitude of yours is perhaps even more aggravating than the "I told you so" / "lol anime" trolls on GameFAQs and the chans.
I am not pretend to be neutral or trying to look morally superior. Don't know what your problem is but back off please. Yes, Ash is the main character but winning isn't everything. Ash can win as BF and Orange Islands have shown us.

I am not pretend to be neutral or trying to look morally superior. Don't know what your problem is but back off please. Yes, Ash is the main character but winning isn't everything. Ash can win as BF and Orange Islands have shown us.

While the animosity towards you is unwarranted, your recent behavior does not coincide with the opening sentence. You made sweeping generalizations such as "Everyone just wants to bash Alain" or "There is nothing but biased hatred" when these are obviously not true while claiming to have "shown some level of maturity".

While the animosity towards you is unwarranted, your recent behavior does not coincide with the opening sentence. You made sweeping generalizations such as "Everyone just wants to bash Alain" or "There is nothing but biased hatred" when these are obviously not true while claiming to have "shown some level of maturity".
Even so, I didn't have a temper tantrum when Ash lost. Sure it was disappointing but it was far from the end of the world. Alain won fair and square and I just wanted others to know that. Apologies if there was generalizations but I am not the bad guy.

Exactly. I'm getting real tired of seeing this comment flying around in regards to the league's outcome. It's really immature and irritating to attempt to shut down opposing views with such an easy and dismissive statement. You may not agree and that's fine-but respect other people's own similarly passionate opinions.

The anime's going to be deader than disco after the mess we saw last night, and thus, the revelation that Ash will never win a league no matter how well he does in this series, all because the writers fear that breaking the status quo even slightly means the end of the anime. Poor writing at its most noticeable. The games will continue on and remain popular, but within a few years, only preschoolers will watch the anime.

The anime's going to be deader than disco after the mess we saw last night, and thus, the revelation that Ash will never win a league no matter how well he does in this series, all because the writers fear that breaking the status quo even slightly means the end of the anime. Poor writing at its most noticeable. The games will continue on and remain popular, but within a few years, only preschoolers will watch the anime.

This ain't status quo we're dealing with. This is something else. Alain as a champion but a Flare associate and betrayer. Flare has virtually destroyed Lumoise and the trainers across Kalos are coming to fight. Ash and Ash-Greninja are at the center of it all along with Zygarde. And everyone has a stake in this crisis.

Ash and Alain still have some unfinished business to deal with. And it has become more a lot more personal. Additionally, Alain has a lot of explaining to do about his involvement with Team Flare.

This ain't status quo we're dealing with. This is something else. Alain as a champion but a Flare associate and betrayer. Flare has virtually destroyed Lumoise and the trainers across Kalos are coming to fight. Ash and Ash-Greninja are at the center of it all along with Zygarde. And everyone has a stake in this crisis.

Ash and Alain still have some unfinished business to deal with. And it has become more a lot more personal. Additionally, Alain has a lot of explaining to do about his involvement with Team Flare.

Status quo is part of the reason why Ash lost, since he lost in all leagues before, and the writers said him winning means the end of this anime. The plot with Team Flare wouldn't be much more different if Ash won.

it does come off as belittling or dismissive of others' feelings. You don't care that Ash lost and that's fine. That doesn't mean that people who are upset shouldn't be able to voice their opinions and explain why they think Ash should have won too
I Wholeheartedly Agree with that Statement; I'm STILL upset that He STILL LOST!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

if it's just to give Ash a Championship title while still losing the League
Yay; So Do League Winners then move onto Challenge the Elite 4 like in the Games?!?!?!?!!?! I'd sure love to find out, but the Only way We'd EVER find out how it works in the anime is if Ash were to WIN a League, since it wouldn't be Shown otherwise.

You got THAT Right. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
I was talking about Manon XD Alain was thinking about Manon during the final battle - she was his motivation
:sick:

My prediction is that Satoshi will win a league at a point when only Pikachus are allowed to the enter the league because that is, was and always will be the one true love story in this show.

As someone pointed out in the review thread, Manon was probably the driving factor behind Alain's victory. His motivation to protect someone he deeply cares, even if going about it the wrong way, might have put him on top. In contrast, we do not see a similar motivation from Ash. It actually reminds me of the outcome of the Autumn Election finals in Shokugeki no Souma. Souma lost to Hayama and he asked to taste his rival's dish. He realized that Hayama's dish had something that his lacked, which was cooking for someone he cares for. That isn't to say I agree with Ash's loss, though :p

This is a dumb point. Ash has his mum, Oak, his countless friends, all his other Pokemon. He has far more than Alain. It is just poor convenient writing.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom