• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Possible Ruby and Sapphire Gen V: Official Discussion and Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
transfering pokemon from gen3 to gen4 and then to gen5 would be a pain in the ass, so i think it'd make sense to make a remake
No it wouldn't. If you want your old Pokémon that you raised in RSEFRLGDPtHGSS, you'll still need to transfer.

I do not see why people are saying there will not be a RSE remake when RGBY and GSC had them. And don't say it's because RGBY and GSC needed them because RSE deserves a remake just as much as they did.
Here's some reasons why RG and GS deserved remakes more than RSE:
- Those generations were incompatible with current generations (Gen III is compatible with Gen V via Gen IV).
- It's physically impossible to play some GSC games due to the batteries having dried out.

RSE still work fine.

Still, wouldn't the main reason for making a Ruby and Sapphire remake be for money, turning Hoenn into a 3D style like the other regions, and allow easier access to certain Pokemon (Especially considering the 3DS lacks a GBA port)

Still, wouldn't the main reason for making a Ruby and Sapphire remake be for money, turning Hoenn into a 3D style like the other regions, and allow easier access to certain Pokemon (Especially considering the 3DS lacks a GBA port)
The main reason for any Pokémon release, any release in general, and any product in general is money.

People need to stop using it as a reason for R/S remakes. I could use it as an example of why GameFreak would sell the franchise to McDonalds - money.

As for the easier access to certain Pokémon...what Pokémon? HGSS has us covered with legendaries and starters (a fairly recent release too), while BW has Hoenn Pokémon scattered everywhere.

I could use it as an example of why GameFreak would sell the franchise to McDonalds - money.

No, because they'd stop profiting off of the franchise. That's a pretty bad example.

And what about trying to reduce dependency on previous generations? Has that just been left in the dust?

No, because they'd stop profiting off of the franchise. That's a pretty bad example.

And what about trying to reduce dependency on previous generations? Has that just been left in the dust?

Bad example or not, his point still stands; anything GF creates that's Pokemon-related will make them money, which is why "They will make RSEmakes 'coz it'll make dem da moniez" is one of THE most ridiculous and half-assed arguments in the book regarding RSEmakes.

Bad example or not, his point still stands; anything GF creates that's Pokemon-related will make them money, which is why "They will make RSEmakes 'coz it'll make dem da moniez" is one of THE most ridiculous and half-assed arguments in the book regarding RSEmakes.

Not really. RS remakes won't put a stop to GF's profits. It's much easier to do than making a sequel or entirely new game.

Can someone please provide a convincing argument that RS remakes won't happen, rather than just arguing against arguments for remakes? I'd like to see real reasons why they wouldn't. (Not intended to be taken as a personal attack. I sincerely have yet to see someone providing "reasons why not", only reasons why the "reasons why" are stupid.)

Well going by your logic then also DPPT and HGSS must be remade in Gen V so that every Gen Pokémon are available in the wild in Gen V.

And that is not to mention that Hoenn Pokémon are ALREADY THE EASIEST pre-GenV Pokémon that you can get in BW.

Can someone please provide a convincing argument that RS remakes won't happen, rather than just arguing against arguments for remakes? I'd like to see real reasons why they wouldn't. (Not intended to be taken as a personal attack. I sincerely have yet to see someone providing "reasons why not", only reasons why the "reasons why" are stupid.)

A few pages ago I already provided a handful of more or less objective argument about why RSE remakes are less factible than previous remakes, but I reposted it so many times that I'm tired of quoting myself and being ignored, the fact is that I already proved that RSE remakes are not needed and seem unlikely to happen at least during Gen V. Although they can still make them just because if they want, so there's no definitive arument neither for or against remakes happening, since we can't predict the future and decide what GF will do.

Last edited:
If they do any remakes at all, personally I'd hope for Gen III remakes. No reason to rehash Kanto yet again, this soon.

If there is a RSE remake...

will people still strongly deny the possibility of a Pokemon Diamond/Pearl remake afterwards?

Lugion said:
Considering that Black and White are DS games, that argument is quite null at this point. Even if the third version were released for the 3DS, the DS games would remain relevant throughout this generation if only because of Black and White themselves. HGSS removed dependence on the GBA games, which coincided with the subset of games fans refer to as Generation III. This isn't the case now.

Frankly, it's absurd to think that a Black/White player would buy not only the remakes but also the 3DS, just to complete the National Pokédex in much the same way he would by using the Generation IV games that are actually playable on the designated system. You could compare Black and White to Gold and Silver due to the fact that they happened to be playable on the GB (even though that comparison is faulty for many reasons), but even Crystal required the Generation I games for the exact same Pokémon that were missing from Gold and Silver.

The DS games aren't going anywhere; even Ruby and Sapphire were still promoted when Platinum was released six years later. HGSS won't even be five years old when Generation VI is released (quite possibly in 2013, making them four years old), and they offer almost all the Pokémon from the first four generations.

If there is a RSE remake...

will people still strongly deny the possibility of a Pokemon Diamond/Pearl remake afterwards?
I don't see anyone "strongly denying" the possibility of Ruby and Sapphire remakes. I think that everyone here fully acknowledges that possibility, but some of us choose not to ignore the different circumstances that this generation has presented. It's hardly just about Pokémon availability, either; it is primarily about the finding the optimal way to get the main series started on the 3DS.

Also, I think it's silly to consider Diamond and Pearl remakes as more likely to see the light of day than another set of Red and Green remakes (FireRed and LeafGreen remakes, if you will). If you want Pokémon to become like Mario, do bear in mind that the NES Super Mario Bros. trilogy was first remade for the SNES, but eventually also for the GBC (Super Mario Bros.) and the GBA (Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3). You could argue that the second set of remakes were only released as a way to port the series to the handheld systems, but that could also apply to Pokémon in the reverse direction. Nintendo has also announced that the SNES remakes (a single compilation) will be re-released for the Wii as retail games, despite the original NES games having already been re-released via the Virtual Console.

The Pokémon series has enough repetition as it is without remakes; it should not go down the Mario path.

Last edited:
And that is not to mention that Hoenn Pokémon are ALREADY THE EASIEST pre-GenV Pokémon that you can get in BW.

Why hello there Regirock, Registeel, Regice. Still only available in the 3rd Gen without a Nintendo Event eh?

Why hello there Regirock, Registeel, Regice. Still only available in the 3rd Gen without a Nintendo Event eh?
It is a safe bet that Black and White's third version will make some of the older legendaries catchable, just as Platinum did with the bird trio (and the Regis via the movie event). I'd also wait and see what sort of console game is going to complement Black and White. Of course, the Dream World will almost certainly make the Regis available with their new Sturdy ability, but it is likely that a password will be needed.

It is obvious that the Regis and Regigigas weren't normally obtainable in Platinum solely because of the Movie 11 promotion, much like the recent case with Zoroa and Zoroark. To suggest that they were reserved for remakes is a stretch; if that had been the case, the Weather trio would have been made event-exclusive instead.

Last edited:
Not really. RS remakes won't put a stop to GF's profits. It's much easier to do than making a sequel or entirely new game.

But I never said it will put a stop in their profits. In fact, what're talking about here? I hate repeating myself, so I'll let you read over our exchange until you see my point.

I'll say that (1) RSE were the lowest selling main series. I know, GBA Top Ten and all that jazz, but who cares? We're not comparing their sales to other games but to other PKMN main series games. So, yeah.And (2), they REALLY aren't necessary. So was HGSS but to an extent; HGSS(and GSC) completed the Kanto saga(FRLG/RBGY).

The sales of RSE have nothing to do with the possibility of them being remade, imo.

Why do you figure? Japanese companies tend to ignore their past "failure" sales, even in big franchises. For instance, TOEI ignores Dragon Ball GT(YMMV) and SEGA ignores the Sonic OVA(even though it was incredible) and even their past main games. It wouldn't surprise me if GF did too. Besides, we do not need Hoenn-anything this Gen.

(1) RSE were the lowest selling main series.

Sure, but if they keep on remaking Gen I or II (if they remake anything, that is), eventually those will become the worst-selling games ever made. You can only remake something so many times in a certain amount of time before people start getting bored with it and their enjoyment diminishes.

And Gen III sold pretty well for GBA games. Ruby/Sapphire, FireRed/LeafGreen, and Emerald take the #1, #2, and #3 spots in GBA game sales, respectively.

Ultimately, though, if this generation remains on the DS I want to see it end as quickly as possible. If that's the case they can remake RSE in Gen VI or something.

Sure, but if they keep on remaking Gen I or II (if they remake anything, that is), eventually those will become the worst-selling games ever made. You can only remake something so many times in a certain amount of time before people start getting bored with it and their enjoyment diminishes.

And Gen III sold pretty well for GBA games. Ruby/Sapphire, FireRed/LeafGreen, and Emerald take the #1, #2, and #3 spots in GBA game sales, respectively.

Ultimately, though, if this generation remains on the DS I want to see it end as quickly as possible. If that's the case they can remake RSE in Gen VI or something.

But I never said they should remake Gen I again. I've changed my mind about that weeks before BW's release. I just want remakes to stop - and to stop now is perfect too, because remakes beyond this point will make no sense. As for the rest of your reply, I already explained why I don't care about how they did on the GBA.

If Nintendo decides to keep the pattern, they WILL make remakes. Just look at the each generation's main series games:
GenI:Red and Green/Blue(pair), Yellow(third version)
GenII:Gold and Silver(pair), Crystal(third version)
GenIII:Ruby and Shappire(pair), Firered and Leafgreen(remakes of a pair two generations before), Emerald(third version)
GenIV:Diamond and Pearl(pair), Platinum(third version), Heart Gold and SoulSilver(remakes of a pair two generations before)GenV:Black and White(pair),???
See?Ever since Generation III, we've got a pair of remakes of other games from 2 generations before. ''But now you can still catch all pokémon in black and white because of compatibility with Generation IV games''. Yes, you can. But just because of that, they won't do remakes? Because remakes won't sell them money? Because they won't attract the attention of the original games fans? Because they won't reconstruct a game with better technology?

But I never said they should remake Gen I again. I've changed my mind about that weeks before BW's release. I just want remakes to stop - and to stop now is perfect too, because remakes beyond this point will make no sense.

Well, I hope they do something. Thanks to no VS Seeker, the original RSE are, ironically, more interesting to me than B&W ever will be after I beat them once and finish the Dex. While I expect the 3rd version to be better, Gen V will be quite boring if that's all there is.

GF kinda spoiled its fanbase into expecting remakes every Gen. But then, I don't think it'll be boring - Gens I and II did just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom