• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Possible Ruby and Sapphire Gen V: Official Discussion and Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. BW hasn't even been released in Japan and you're garnting for sure that there will be a RSE-make? I've got some suggestions for you people:

1. Enjoy your recent HGSS. They're remaekes, too, and just got released last month outside Japan.

2. What's the best thing to have? a brand new game, or another remake? I'd go for the remake, so if you want to speculate, speculate about BW. There's a lot of promises put on these games, we should be talkink about these, not RSE remakes.

3. Once BW got released, play them, love them, hate them, criticose them. They'll be Gen V's main thing.

4. Once we have suck everything BW offer us, now that's it! Enjoy you RSE-makes speculation.

Oh and you can play other games and do other things in between, too.

You do know that people are also speculating about Pokemon BW, also since GF has remade Gen I/II, it's only natural that people will be speculating if R/S/E will be remade for the DS, for many kinds of reasons. So if you don't like R/S/E remake speculation, get out and don't worry about it.

An Emerald remake would be better than retreading Ruby and Sapphire (some Emerald features and plot elements would definitely get lost in translation otherwise), but I don't see Game Freak releasing only one version, and there are ways for a brand new pair of Hoenn games to surface.

New games appear in pairs.
What if there were two Houen-2's
One set in the past, one set in the post RSE-future.

More later.

Here, finally and truthfully, is why I don't see a return to Hoenn happening this gen:
They made a point with HeartGold and SoulSilver of making sure that every Pokemon there is—barring event-exclusives—is available between the 5 fourth generation games, even without the use of the PalPark. There was a specificity and intentionality to the inclusion of Groundon, Kyogre, and that other douche, as well as the Lati's and the extra two starters.

In other words, they have covered all of their bases.

And here is why I can't envision a new story set exclusively in Hoenn:
Remember the plot of RSE? What were the linchpin of the plot of RSE? The legendaries. These stories were ABOUT Groudon, Kyogre, and that third dickwad. That's it. If the purpose of new games is to make sure that everything that was available the first go around is there, including the same legendaries, then what is left for them to build a new story on?

Here is how, bare minimum, I define a sequel to a Pokemon game: new region, new pokemon. That's it. Everything else is dressing, and anything else is a remake.
But there's plenty more to build on.
What happens after Kyogre/Groudon is calmed?
There are so many questions that can be answered, and likewise, there are many more questions that can be created.

But you are correct, HGSS went out of the way to make almost every Pokemon obtainable; something even DPPt didn't do.

...Then again, the 4th generation games are each quite "complete" in and of themselves.
In the 2nd generation, at least one of the first 4 games was required to complete the Pokedex.
Between GSC, you needed only two of the 3 to get all of the then new Pokemon.

In generation 2, At least one Game cube game a Houen game and a Kantou game were required to complete the pokedex.
That doesn't include the fact that one couldn't obtain all of the Houen Pokemon unless you had either R and S, or R,S and E.

In contrast, each of the 4th gen games made most of the past Pokemon accessible in one way or another, and in addition to that we now have Wi-fi Trading and the GTS for anyone with wi-fi internet access.
Only a minute amount of people in the western world don't have wi-fi access.

Some of the Pokemon that aren't obtainable can be seen in-game, which means you can attempt to obtain them using the GTS.

So, the 4th gen and later gens will be quite different in comparison to the 3rd generation; and I doubt an attempt to "go back" will be made.
A primary goal in these RPGs is to capture all of the Pokemon, and as their numbers increase, so will the ways to obtain them.

Besides, any new game is a good thing right?

I'm hoping that the new region in Black and White is based on Tōhoku rather than Chūgoku, so that among other things Shikoku can be reserved for a new Hoenn game. A new area would definitely be deemed necessary because even FRLG offered more in terms of the post-Elite Four adventure (thanks to the Sevii Islands) than RSE did. While Game Freak have plenty of small islands to add to a Hoenn game, that decision wouldn't be viewed favorably as there were so many islands in the original games to begin with.

Hmm, here, I can't really agree. I would not want to see a potential brand new region be used to expand Houen. I would hate to see Touhoku or even Shikoku "wasted" to expand Houen.
I''d much rather Houen be used as a post E4 area in those games if that's to be the case.

More Islands would be undesirable, unless the islands were connected in some way.

I think Houen can be expanded by simply adding more to the Continent itself.
Most of the area in any given region is filled by trees; take away the trees, add new explorable areas.
In all honesty, adding some of the anime exclusive areas would be divine, but that will never happen.

Those are my thoughts exactly - that all the Generation V games will explore two periods of times: a few years after the Generation II/IV period, and many years before the story in any of the games so far. The HGSS references to Hoenn have given us a taste of both periods.

I too am beginning to think the same thing.
And with HGSS transporting us the the Shinto ruins of all things, perhaps our pokemon adventures will be expanded through transportation.

As we all know, Lugia and Ho-Oh were event-exclusive Pokémon in the GBA games (not to be confused with the GameCube games, which only around 10% of the players had), which was a large part of HGSS's appeal factor. Their counterparts in Generation IV are not the Weather trio, but rather the Regis and Regigigas; this is why I think Regigigas deserves to be one of the new version mascots. As for the other one, this is where I hope Game Freak will use discretion by designing a hidden Generation V Pokémon, which would be made available via a late Generation V game as opposed to a movie promotion. If they added Regigigas to Generation IV only to have it be obtained via GBA compatibility and a movie event, they can do something similar here. That Pokémon could be the antithesis to Rayqauza - the force behind Groudon and Kyogre's first battle.

I'd love to see more "Hidden" and Secret pokemon.
However, because of the way the fandom works, secret Pokemon in general don't work very well.
If it were possible to "rewrite" the data of the cartridge, and allow pokemon and areas to be added at a later date; then it could work.
But as it stands now, Arceus's existence was not officially acknowledged until Winter 2009, we've known of the Pokemon since September 2009.

But perhaps that's the price one pays for using the internets.

The idea of new Pokemon created to expand a past area is a great one, I'd actually hoped for something similar in GSC Kantou.

Regigigas in the Present (which would be post-RSE story)

An unknown Pokemon in the Past.

Interesting.

HeartGold and SoulSilver definitely imported a lot of the Crystal storyline with little issue, and even added the Kimono Girls element to blend it all together quite effectively.

Instead of having Rayquaza appear to quell both Groudon and Kyogre, the version mascot could be pacified instead, alone. Or the 'good' team could summon the complement to their theme (Magma summons Groudon, Aqua summons Kyogre) to battle the other's legendary, Rayquaza is brought down through a cameo from a previous generation, puts both to rest, and the player defeats the main bad while the Champion dominates the other team...
That's taking a step backward to RS.
HGSS imported few of the Crystal elements, especially in regards to the story, and while Suicune is more important it's relationship to Ho-Oh is not explained. Minaki /Eusine is retained with changes.
The only way to retain the Emerald additions while still having two versions would be to have two versions in different time periods, or have one version focus on the aftermath of Team Aqua, the other focusing on the aftermath of Team Magma.

MagmaRuby and AquaSapphire. Simple. As. That.

I want a May 28, 2011 release cause it's my birthday!!
Great enthusiasm, but don't bet on it; if we get a Houen-2 it wont be at the least until 2012.
BW still don't have a release date, and I'm betting it wont be available for purchase until winter/ late fall 2010.

I'm completely against this after HGSS didn't bother to change things that were wrong about the game.

Hmm. Interesting opinion.
That's exactly why I want to see Houen-2; I'd like Houen's downfalls to be repaired.
While HGSS didn't do much to "fix" Jouto, it's likely because it was a remake of GSC.

A remake of RSE would be terrible; while any sort of addition to the story; such as a prequel or sequel would be fantastic.

Will the mirage tower come back?
Why wouldn't it?

The player seemingly destroys it while exploring it.
But it's a mirage, it constantly appears and disappears; there's no reason why it would not continue to do so.

what kind of upgrades do you think the pokénav will have?
I see the Pokenav functioning more like the Poketch or in the real world; a modern cell phone.
Additional applications will be added, and those apps will truely take advantage of the system; be it the DS-i or the 3DS.

I think the "phone" function will function more like a phone, similar to HGSS pokegear phone.
Contest stats are now viewable on the pokemon status screen, instead, details about the Pokemons past contests will be shown.
I also think tips and tricks (for both the game itself and specific in-game functions such as Battles, Contests, etc) will be added, somewhat like the Teachy TV in FRLG.

Berries will be shown on the pokenav map.

There are a myraid of other additions I'd like to see; but I'll leave it at that.

I believe a remake of Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald is a guaranteed happening. Perhaps not from the sensibility stand point that they used to justify the original remakes, but it makes sense on a corporate level that game freak will want to cash in on something they already made, again. Minimize work, Maximize profit.

What happens after Kyogre/Groudon is calmed?

They go back to sleep in their respective caves?

I'm not at all concerned about R/S remakes at the moment... right now B/W is my main focus concerning any new Pokemon games. I don't have my hopes up for remakes, but I'm not ruling out the possibility either. If they ever do, I probably won't get them anyways... it'd be like how I am with SS: I had already played Crystal, so I don't have much enthusiasm over playing either HG or SS. With R/S remakes, I wouldn't have as much desire either because I have already played Sapphire, Ruby, and Emerald... and Emerald was my favorite out of all 3 too.

Doesn't GameFreak only make remakes when compatibility is lost?

For example: FireRed and LeafGreen were released since Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald were incompatible with Generations I and II. The deficiency in Johto Pokemon was made up through compatibility with Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD, so they had to release the remakes to allow full access to Kanto pokemon.

With compatibility to Generation III still tacitly existing (Pal Park to Generation IV, then from Generation IV to Generation V), a remake may be a long ways off...
Pal park wont be on the 3DS though. SO if they do remake RSE it'll be on the 3DS which comes out early next year at the latest. so the possibility continues.

And please don't replace May with some other girl like they did with Kris. (Even though I like Lyra better) May is awesome.
Same goes for Brendan's hat. The hat is epic.

I still think Lyra is a redesign of Kris

May is pretty timeless. She also looks a lot like Brendan, unlike Kris-Ethan. All I can see is them maybe changing her hair length a bit or changing the style a bit.

I'm interested in what they do with Brendan's hair/hat.

Pal park wont be on the 3DS though. SO if they do remake RSE it'll be on the 3DS which comes out early next year at the latest. so the possibility continues.

Compatability between Gens IV and V has already been confirmed. This means that compatability between Gens III and V is also confirmed by extension. RSEmakes are thus not all that guaranteed (following this and only this argument, that is)

And please don't replace May with some other girl like they did with Kris. (Even though I like Lyra better) May is awesome.
Same goes for Brendan's hat. The hat is epic.

I don't see why people worry about this. Aside from the fact that May was in R/S, unlike Kris in her original games, do you know how incredibly popular and well known May's character is?

Whether its the game, anime, or her manga counterpart, May/Sapphire is pretty much one of the most popular characters to ever come out of the franchise.

As well as the most recognizable. You'll be hard pressed to walk up to a random Pokemon fan who doesn't know who May is.

Re: Remakes in the 5th generation

Because of backwards compatibility, there isn't a need for remakes. New story, yes. Remakes, no.

Actually... Due to the dropping of the Game Cartridge slot in the DSi and DSiXL... (You get what i mean..)

Gen III sent to
Gen IV sent to
Gen V hypothetical remakes
=TIME PARADOX
What I'm trying to say is, these remakes in question would in theory be compatible with there predecessors(R/S/E/FR/LG)no matter what because it was confirmed that Gens IV and V would be compatible.

My opinion:
Remakes:NO
Sequels:Semi-Likely

OK. BW hasn't even been released in Japan and you're garnting for sure that there will be a RSE-make? I've got some suggestions for you people:

1. Enjoy your recent HGSS. They're remaekes, too, and just got released last month outside Japan.

2. What's the best thing to have? a brand new game, or another remake? I'd go for the remake, so if you want to speculate, speculate about BW. There's a lot of promises put on these games, we should be talkink about these, not RSE remakes.

3. Once BW got released, play them, love them, hate them, criticose them. They'll be Gen V's main thing.

4. Once we have suck everything BW offer us, now that's it! Enjoy you RSE-makes speculation.

Oh and you can play other games and do other things in between, too.

1. No thanks. I detest Johto.

2. This thread is for speculating R/S remakes. Don't like it, don't come here.

3. Who says we won't? But seeing how Platinum usually receives more love than D/P, your point doesn't really make sense.

4. Go away please. We want to speculate, so we do. If you don't, don't come to this thread.

Gen III sent to
Gen IV sent to
=TIME PARADOX
What I'm trying to say is, these remakes in question would in theory be compatible with there predecessors(R/S/E/FR/LG)no matter what because it was confirmed that Gens IV and V would be compatible.

My opinion:

*facepalm*

Did the five year gap between Colosseum and XD hold back any trading? No. Also there is no proof that gen I and III happened at the same time, nor is there any absolute proof that gen II and IV happened at the same time. So a supposed paradox is a non-issue.

3. Who says we won't? But seeing how Platinum usually receives more love than D/P, your point doesn't really make sense.

4. Go away please. We want to speculate, so we do. If you don't, don't come to this thread.

Still, Platinum is based on DP, so it counts, as it's one of the main versions. And I go wherever and whenever I please. I came in here because I'm with the "new Hoenn game" thing (which is different than a mere remake, as I'm talking about a prequel/sequel just like Ryuu), so I do have my things to do in this thread.

feng277394 said:
Actually... Due to the dropping of the Game Cartridge slot in the DSi and DSiXL... (You get what i mean..)

Even without dual slot mode, we will still have compatibility with Gen III, just not directly, because as it was confirmed recently, the event beasts that will be given away during Movie 13 will unlock something when tranferred to BW. This means that BW will be cmpatible with Gen IV, and since IV is already compatible with III. So let's put it this way: I have my RSE Pokémon, I palpark them to DPPt and then transfer them to BW with whatever method they put there in. See? We will still be able to use our mons we caught back in 2002 in our brand new game released in 2010.

I'm more for there just being a new story that just happens to take place in Hoenn, but if we got remakes I'd be fine with it.

...A new topic is needed.

What do you think they will do with Brendan?

No Brendan arguments. His hair/hat was pretty ambiguous. As far as we can tell he's wearing a headband which isn't attached to his hair/hat.

I hope if he is wearing a hat (which I doubt) they keep the coloring and look but change it. But if that's his hair, they make it look more like hair. More textured and fluffy.

Last edited:

Gen III sent to
Gen IV sent to
=TIME PARADOX

My opinion:
I really, REALLY don't think GameFreak expects people to transfer their 'mons from RSE/FRLG to DPPT/HGSS and again to BW. I doubt Gen 5 will have all that dual-slot shit that Gen 4 did, either. So if that's the case, DPPT/HGSS would be absolutely required to get Gen 3 'mons to Gen 5. That's pretty shit "compatibility" if you ask me.

I don't really see this as a valid reason for them not to remake RSE.

Yes to sequels. No to remakes

Reasoning:

-We already have compatibility with RSE by extension of having compatibility with DPPt/HGSS, so trading from your old RSE to your new one does sound pretty stupid

-I don't want there to be an endless stream of remakes. The way I see it, RGBY and GSC were remade because they became incompatible with the rest of the games since Gen III started. Considering that this isn't the case with Gen III, there's no reason for a remake

-Logically thinking, the vast majority of the pro-RSEmake arguments can also be applied to FrLgmakes. This means that not only will there be an endless stream of remakes (which would get old and tired very fast) but it will come in pairs of pairs (one RS remake and one FrLg remake followed by one DP remake and one HGSS remake on the next gen and so on). That to me, is just plain stupid. (Please no "making a remake of a remake is stupid" arguments. It's been done in pop culture millions of times before, no reason it can't be done now)

-RS' story kinda really sucked major balls (thank God for Emerald).

-The sequels would give us the opportunity to explore Hoenn all over again (which is something I think every fan wants at this point), in 3-D no less. They could give us a new story, they could show us what happened with the story after Groudon/Kyogre were calmed down. They could even clear up the timeline issue and explain weather RSE took place at the same time as RGBY/FrLG or not. They could help establish Emerald as the canon game. They could focus on other legendary Pokemon (such as the highly underused Regis) and they could open new and previously unexplored areas of Hoenn. What's not to love?

Last edited:

I really, REALLY don't think GameFreak expects people to transfer their 'mons from RSE/FRLG to DPPT/HGSS and again to BW. I doubt Gen 5 will have all that dual-slot shit that Gen 4 did, either. So if that's the case, DPPT/HGSS would be absolutely required to get Gen 3 'mons to Gen 5. That's pretty shit "compatibility" if you ask me.

I don't really see this as a valid reason for them not to remake RSE.

They do expect it. After all, they already confirmed compatibility with Gen IV (which means Gen III compatibility will be indirectly featured as well). Since DPPt/HGSS are far more recent than RSE/FRLG, it's safe to assume Gen IV games are far easier to get than Gen III, so if people have a Gen III game, it's most likely they'll also have at least one Generation IV game. Thus I see no problem in requiring DPPt/HGSS to transfer a Gen III 'mon, making Hoenn remakes unnecessary.

Plus everything Envoy said.

...A new topic is needed.

What do you think they will do with Brendan?

No Brendan arguments. His hair/hat was pretty ambiguous. As far as we can tell he's wearing a headband which isn't attached to his hair/hat.

I hope if he is wearing a hat (which I doubt) they keep the coloring and look but change it. But if that's his hair, they make it look more like hair. More textured and fluffy.

I think you'll just get the option to switch between his r/s and emerald outfits, but that's it.

Yes to sequels. No to remakes

Reasoning:

-We already have compatibility with RSE by extension of having compatibility with DPPt/HGSS, so trading from your old RSE to your new one does sound pretty stupid

-I don't want there to be an endless stream of remakes. The way I see it, RGBY and GSC were remade because they became incompatible with the rest of the games since Gen III started. Considering that this isn't the case with Gen III, there's no reason for a remake

-Logically thinking, the vast majority of the pro-RSEmake arguments can also be applied to FrLgmakes. This means that not only will there be an endless stream of remakes (which would get old and tired very fast) but it will come in pairs of pairs (one RS remake and one FrLg remake followed by one DP remake and one HGSS remake on the next gen and so on). That to me, is just plain stupid. (Please no "making a remake of a remake is stupid" arguments. It's been done in pop culture millions of times before, no reason it can't be done now)

-RS' story kinda really sucked major balls (thank God for Emerald).

-The sequels would give us the opportunity to explore Hoenn all over again (which is something I think every fan wants at this point), in 3-D no less. They could give us a new story, they could show us what happened with the story after Groudon/Kyogre were calmed down. They could even clear up the timeline issue and explain weather RSE took place at the same time as RGBY/FrLG or not. They could help establish Emerald as the canon game. They could focus on other legendary Pokemon (such as the highly underused Regis) and they could open new and previously unexplored areas of Hoenn. What's not to love?

They do expect it. After all, they already confirmed compatibility with Gen IV (which means Gen III compatibility will be indirectly featured as well). Since DPPt/HGSS are far more recent than RSE/FRLG, it's safe to assume Gen IV games are far easier to get than Gen III, so if people have a Gen III game, it's most likely they'll also have at least one Generation IV game. Thus I see no problem in requiring DPPt/HGSS to transfer a Gen III 'mon, making Hoenn remakes unnecessary.

Plus everything Envoy said.

Can't we just drop it already? I believe there already was a big thread discussing a sequal of R/S instead of a remake. You should discuss it there. Also to Envoy's last argument (the others are not worth discussing), we could see 3D Hoenn just as well with remakes.

i want a new region that is COMPLETELY separated from the other regions. so people can stop going on about sinjoh ruins etc..

oh and sequels are a good idea to RS, but i feel that it would be better to play hoenn in a post E4 area, maybe get there by boat to slateport

Can't we just drop it already? I believe there already was a big thread discussing a sequal of R/S instead of a remake. You should discuss it there.

Well, according to the first post of this thread, sequels, prequels, and the possibility of no remakes are all fair game in this thread, despite what you want to believe.

Anyways, RS remakes wouldn't excite me too much. The remakes should be special. Not something that everyone knows will always be coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom