• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Possible Ruby and Sapphire Gen V: Official Discussion and Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't follow your logic that well.

Are you implying Pokemon won't make money when putting it on the 3DS? Isn't it one of the reasons why people buy the systems to begin with, so they can play the latest Pokemon games?

Aye. 'Tis the only reason I possess a DS lite.

I hope they make Hoenn remakes. I haven't really seen any major hints towards one, but I love the idea.

If you think about it...what it all boils down to is:

If they (gamefreak) make it, will people buy it in droves?

If the answer is yes (which I'd bet it is) then I doubt gamefreak would let a little thing like already being able to get Hoenn pokemon easily stand in a remake's way.

If you think about it...what it all boils down to is:

If they (gamefreak) make it, will people buy it in droves?

If the answer is yes (which I'd bet it is) then I doubt gamefreak would let a little thing like already being able to get Hoenn pokemon easily stand in a remake's way.
Exactly.

The bolded part is especially important. Having the vast majority of 2nd Gen Pokémon available in 3rd Gen already, as well as in Diamond/Pearl, regardless of how difficult/how many games, didn't stop HGSS from happening. I can also make a case for having to restart HGSS three times if I only have one Version, and get through the whole bore of a game thrice over, in order to get each 1st Gen and 3rd Gen Starter, if I lack any other game where I can get them.

Then there's the whole "In-Generation Availability" everyone used to defend HGSS's existence. Looks like GameFreak is finally moving away from that "need" with the advent of the Dream World. Does that stop the possibility of RS Remakes? Actually, I hope so. As much as I think it's ridiculous people think there won't be RS Remakes for the same reasons others, myself included, believed there wouldn't be GS Remakes, I do hope GameFreak moves away from this Remake cycle once and for all. Maybe make a new game based around Hoenn. I see no harm in that, and I'd welcome any game set on any older Region as long as it's not a Remake. That'd show much better effort.

Looking at the huge improvement in terms of storyline with Black/White, I wouldn't completely discount the possibility of a corresponding pair of games set in an old Region, but with a new, in-depth story. A new game set in Hoenn would accomplish both a return of the Region and establishing the timeline once and for all. As it is, remaking RS would just screw the little timeline sense they've worked for. I wouldn't put it past them, as this is GameFreak, and they keep on dropping the ball for the sake of forcing purchase, but I hope they actually consider this.

Would I mind if there's no new game for Hoenn? Not really, either. Pokémon has to move on. If Hoenn ever returns, I hope it's in a fashion like Kanto in GSC/HGSS, but done right, or as said above, as a new game set in the Region, contemporary with the current Generation. Still, I wouldn't discount the possibility of Remakes. I don't think GameFreak wants to stretch the 5th Gen too much, but even 3 years is enough for Pair Versions, 3rd Version, and what I hope are Hoenn Versions, not necessarily RS Remakes.

Ultimately, only time will tell, but as I was mistaken with GS Remakes, discounting them for the same reasons people here are saying RS Remakes won't happen, I wouldn't be skeptic. I'd just stay shut. lol

How about in Black & White we're able to travel to Hoenn? That way you get to see that region updated but without the need to buy a whole new game.

Aye. 'Tis the only reason I possess a DS lite.

Same here. Whenever a new gameboy or Nintendo handheld is made, the Pokemon games are my gateway into buying other games. lol.

How about in Black & White we're able to travel to Hoenn? That way you get to see that region updated but without the need to buy a whole new game.

Ehmm, excuse me, but with the games released one month ago, everything within the game has been extracted (not to mention that by this time even casual players have finished the whole game) and there's no Hoenn in BW.

@Orion-Sama: agree. I hope GF ends the remake trend, but I do like the idea of new games set in Hoenn, be them a prequel or a sequel.

I'd like to see the Hoenn games being the last remakes.

It's very hard to see a remake of Pokemon Diamond and Pearl at this stage....the 5th gen's art style isn't that different from the 4th gen's. Then again, probably by the time the 6th gen comes along there might be a more drastic change in visuals...making Diamond/Pearl look outdated.

I'd like to see the Hoenn games being the last remakes.

It's very hard to see a remake of Pokemon Diamond and Pearl at this stage....the 5th gen's art style isn't that different from the 4th gen's. Then again, probably by the time the 6th gen comes along there might be a more drastic change in visuals...making Diamond/Pearl look outdated.

Which would in turn make Gens I-III look outdated again thus needing yet another remake. This is why the remakes trend should stop now. If any, RSE remakes are still somehow conceivable, but that's already being a little too flexible and giving it too many chances.

Which would in turn make Gens I-III look outdated again thus needing yet another remake. This is why the remakes trend should stop now. If any, RSE remakes are still somehow conceivable, but that's already being a little too flexible and giving it too many chances.

Nintendo haven't actually remade a remake yet have they?

Which means there's absolutely nothing to suggest they would.

That's why I used "would" instead of "will". I meant in the hypothetical case of RSE remakes happening and leaving DPPT oudated and needing a remake (the case you brought uo yourself).

Actually I was somehow agreeing with you.

In all fairness to both sides of the "debate", I would like to point out, even as a supporter of RSEmakes, that the chance for their remakes this generation is all but gone. If we look at previous remake patterns (well, not really a pattern persay), we will see that remakes tied into the current generation they were remade. However, given the current timeline of events (RBYRSE -3 years later-> DPPtHGSS) and the fact that Cynthia mentions the Platinum trainer when you talk to her in BW, we can see that, unless they decide to make a time paradox where a place set 3+x years ago can freely trade with RSEmakes, they will not happen.

Current timeline in the Pokemon Universe:

0000 period: Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, Ruby, Sapphire, FireRed, LeafGreen Emerald
0003 period: Gold, Silver, Crystal, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver
0003.X period: Black, White

Except, y'know, there's nothing in-game to suggest RSE and RGBYFRLG taking place simultaneously.

But... Lanette DOES kinda... exist outside of the timeframe RSE takes place in.

Just we're on the same page here.

Direct from Bulbapedia itself:

Hoenn

While visiting Lanette in Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, players can check one of her computers to find an E-mail from Bill. The English translation of the E-mail makes it seem as if Bill is crediting Lanette for upgrading his system, whereas the Japanese text clearly establishes that he and Lanette are co-developers of the original system.

Note the co-developers part?

This was one of the reasons why RSE was decided to be in the same timeframe as RBYGFRLG.

Besides the whole direct connectivity thing between RSE and FRLG.

Just we're on the same page here.

Direct from Bulbapedia itself:

Hoenn

While visiting Lanette in Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, players can check one of her computers to find an E-mail from Bill. The English translation of the E-mail makes it seem as if Bill is crediting Lanette for upgrading his system, whereas the Japanese text clearly establishes that he and Lanette are co-developers of the original system.

Note the co-developers part?

This was one of the reasons why RSE was decided to be in the same timeframe as RBYGFRLG.

Besides the whole direct connectivity thing between RSE and FRLG.

The thing about that is, we don't know WHEN the original system was brought online in-universe. It could've been years before the Kanto games, for all that's revealed. Besides, there are no references in Hoenn to Team Rocket or the events of RGBYFRLG at all. Direct connectivity doesn't mean a thing. If Game Freak wants two games to be able to trade, Game Freak will make two games able to trade, regardless of any fanon timeline.

Except, y'know, Lanette and Bill.

That could've been sent at any time... and they already did a Time Paradox WIth XD (It takes place 4 years after Collo/FR/LG/E...) Though it was a side game...

It wouldn't be the first time and besides HG/SS happens before HG/SS and you can trade azt the begining of the game... Maybe the can do a time capsle thing. (And we all know That it can happen... G/S can trade with R/B/Y despite being 3 years after.

So I guess the mentions of Red Gyarados in the Lake of Rage in DPPt means nothing because it's "fanon"? Was it a coincidence that remakes of Gold and Silver popped up in the same generation?

No, it was Game Freak remaking the games that no longer were compatible with the new systems. Perhaps pointing out that, I don't know, direct compatibility means something?

Anyway, yes, we don't know when the original system came online. But thats a small point. We know that it happened within a span of, maybe, ten years? We know they worked on it together and that Lanette helped connect the Sevii Islands to Hoenn. Where you go from there is up to you.

That could've been sent at any time... and they already did a Time Paradox WIth XD (It takes place 4 years after Collo/FR/LG/E...) Though it was a side game...
I don't think that side games direct compatibility with the main series affects the timeline of the main series. But she is a computer nerd. Why would she leave an old email open on her only computer? There is the possibility she just checked her e-mail before the player got there but... I find that hard to believe.

It wouldn't be the first time and besides HG/SS happens before HG/SS and you can trade at the beginning of the game... Maybe they can do a time capsule thing. (And we all know That it can happen... G/S can trade with R/B/Y despite being 3 years after).
Perhaps, perhaps, but that is still such a low chance that they will. They're more likely to just keep going with the current time of Black and White. Or go back a few years and make another game in PokeJapan next generation.

So I guess the mentions of Red Gyarados in the Lake of Rage in DPPt means nothing because it's "fanon"? Was it a coincidence that remakes of Gold and Silver popped up in the same generation?

No, it was Game Freak remaking the games that no longer were compatible with the new systems. Perhaps pointing out that, I don't know, direct compatibility means something?

Anyway, yes, we don't know when the original system came online. But thats a small point. We know that it happened within a span of, maybe, ten years? We know they worked on it together and that Lanette helped connect the Sevii Islands to Hoenn. Where you go from there is up to you.

I don't think that side games direct compatibility with the main series affects the timeline of the main series. But she is a computer nerd. Why would she leave an old email open on her only computer? There is the possibility she just checked her e-mail before the player got there but... I find that hard to believe.

Perhaps, perhaps, but that is still such a low chance that they will. They're more likely to just keep going with the current time of Black and White. Or go back a few years and make another game in PokeJapan next generation.

Like I said it could've been sent before R/S. I imagine R/s Taking place a year to a few months after FR/LG plus XDis directly compatible with R/S/E despite the 4/5 year time difference between the games... Thoug like you said it's a side game but they still direct trading... It's happened before

Like I said it could've been sent before R/S. I imagine R/s Taking place a year to a few months after FR/LG plus XDis directly compatible with R/S/E despite the 4/5 year time difference between the games
Like I said,

"There is the possibility she just checked her e-mail before the player got there but... I find that hard to believe."

But when I said "... I find that hard to believe", I was referencing the likelihood that she, a computer nerd and person who spent plenty of time corresponding with Bill to create the system, would not have checked her e-mail for months.

And still, I highly doubt that side games, like Colosseum, XD, Battle Revolution, etc. have influence on the main game timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom