• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • 4chan is an 18+ website, and as such we do not want to expose our underage users to that site.

You may post screen shots and text from 4chan, but direct linking to the site, or it's archival sites is not allowed.

Thanks.

• Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.

SPOILERS Possible themes of Sword and Shield's story:

Hunter Talon

Reaction score
Yeah, I was not too happy that Necrozma hurts Lunala. And it doesn't look as good either after the fusion.

But that won't be an issue this time around. No matter what either of them fuse with, I doubt they could look much worse.

They'll probably look better. Most people say their designs are too complicated, but they feel like they could stand to have a more complicated design to me.

Poké Boss

The Best Gym Leader
Reaction score
plz no pokemon fusion. i have avoided buying b2w2 and USUM because it looked like fusion was going on.
Three things:

1) If that's the case, I hope you didn't buy SM either, because it features Lusamin fusing with Nihilego. And Pokémon-Human fusion is an abomination. It's the worst kind of fusion.

2) BW2 fusion is not really fusion: it's the fusion of two Pokémon that used to be one. Not the fusion of two different Pokémon species.

3) Do yourself a favour and play BW2. It's one of the best games ever. ;)

Last edited:

Rocket Zigzagoon

Sell a Flareon
Reaction score
I think Sword/Shield will have a Gale of Darkness-style plot. The Dynamax might be operated by a mysterious hacker organization of same name.

PocketMonster

#TeamSobble
Reaction score
Three things:

1) If that's the case, I hope you didn't buy SM either, because it features Lusamin fusing with Nihilego. And Pokémon-Human fusion is an abomination. It's the worst kind of fusion.

2) BW2 fusion is not really fusion: it's the fusion of two Pokémon that used to be one. Not the fusion of two different Pokémon species.

3) Do yourself a favour and play BW2. It's one of the best games ever. ;)
I bought sun because it wasnt apparent fusion was a focus. Yeah ive heard about people really enjoying b2 and i thought about grabbing one sometime. However i also have seen people not buy it for the same reason i didnt. So not alone haha.

TheElderKing

Fire Pokémon Expert
Reaction score
I do think that Necrozma Dawn Wings-Dusk Mane is quite different in concept then a hypothetical presence of the Original Dragon in Gen 5 remakes. If the dislike is simply about fusions, and the similarity with other monster franchises, I get it, but Megas, Battle Bond and the Lusamine-Nihilego fusion are already established, and I prefer seeing the Original Dragon above all of them (expecially the human-Pokémon fusion, which I disliked in Digimon as well). I do wonder how they’ll implement it, though, given that Reshiram and Zekrom would likely be exclusive to their version (on that note, I also wonder if and what they’ll do to power up the Creation trio).

In regards of the themes of the game, competitiveness is likely a major theme in the Galar region, given how important battles are and how respected the Champion seems to be.

I still think the third legendary might be behind the Dynamax phenomenon, and I do want to see how it ties with the plot.

Poke Dragon

The boundary between opposites.
Reaction score
On the whole fusion thing, it makes sense for both Kyurem and Necrozma, it makes sense for Kyurem because you're basically putting the pieces back together while Necrozma needs a constant source of light to lessen the pain that it has and eventually, making the pain go away completely by reaching its Ultra form.

If fusion is indeed a thing with the new legendary mascots again, this time it would make a lot more sense for it to be between Zacian and Zamazenta rather than involving the third legendary again.

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Battle Bond
I don’t think it counts as a fusion because... no fusion takes place. It’s basically bond to such an extent that your vitals like heartbeat and feelings synchronise.

Ash never physically fuses with Greninja and is certainly not comparable to Necrozma or Kyurem fusions.

TheElderKing

Fire Pokémon Expert
Reaction score
I don’t think it counts as a fusion because... no fusion takes place. It’s basically bond to such an extent that your vitals like heartbeat and feelings synchronise.

Ash never physically fuses with Greninja and is certainly not comparable to Necrozma or Kyurem fusions.
I meant to compare Battle Bond to human/mon fusions in other franchises, not to Necrozma or Kyurem’s.

It’s also different to Lusamine and Nihilego, howewer, I dislike both, as I normally do human-mon ‘fusions’.

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
I meant to compare Battle Bond to human/mon fusions in other franchises, not to Necrozma or Kyurem’s.

It’s also different to Lusamine and Nihilego, howewer, I dislike both, as I normally do human-mon ‘fusions’.
I still don’t think it even counts as a human/mon fusion since no actual ‘fusing’ takes place. Ash has independent thinking, Greninja has independent thinking, both have their separate bodies.

It’s more comparable to telepathy than fusion imo. The only argument likening it to fusion would be Greninja resembling Ash; which is implied to be a coincidence since the previous hero Greninja looked identical to the present Ash-Greninja and I doubt people 1000 or so years ago dressed the same as Ash.

Synchronisation is a much appropriate term than Fusion (which is borderline misleading imo).

TheElderKing

Fire Pokémon Expert
Reaction score
I still don’t think it even counts as a human/mon fusion since no actual ‘fusing’ takes place. Ash has independent thinking, Greninja has independent thinking, both have their separate bodies.

It’s more comparable to telepathy than fusion imo. The only argument likening it to fusion would be Greninja resembling Ash; which is implied to be a coincidence since the previous hero Greninja looked identical to the present Ash-Greninja and I doubt people 1000 or so years ago dressed the same as Ash.

Synchronisation is a much appropriate term than Fusion (which is borderline misleading imo).
But I never called it fusion, though. I mentioned it together with Megas and Lusamine-Nihilego fusion as they’re similar to features in other mon franchises.

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
But I never called it fusion, though. I mentioned it together with Megas and Lusamine-Nihilego fusion as they’re similar to features in other mon franchises.
howewer, I dislike both, as I normally do human-mon ‘fusions’.
This had implied to me that you thought of battle bond as pretty comparable to Ash Greninja, which I think is a different beast from the Human/Mon fusions in other franchises, where if I'm not mistaken the bodies fuse physically.

Sheep40

Reaction score
Well, The game's director mentioned that the primary theme of the game is growth and prowess. Given what we see now, I still think my decosntructive theories still stand. That, and I didn't literally mean any pokemon fusion. I did mean something along the lines of a legendary (Zacian and Zamazenta's master/creator) utilizing both a sword and a shield to represent their control of the cycle of offense and defense.

SpinyShell

Blast Turtle Pokémon
Reaction score
When SwSh were first revealed back in February, I thought the core theme might be nature vs. technology/industrialization. Now that I think about, that's probably not the case.

JFrombaugh

Reaction score
I could see the themes of sportsmanship and competitiveness being sprinkled into this game esp. with that stadium motif and if those rumors flying around are true.
Now that Team Yell have been confirmed to be the villain team and given what we already know about Leon being a Champion who has never lost a battle, I've got my money on this being the main theme of the story as well.

This would make Galar in many ways an "opposite" region to Kalos, which has a culture that values artistry in all its forms & to a lesser extent science.

Timaeus

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of that interview from a while back with Masuda and Ohmori:

Shigeru Ohmori: The biggest theme in these games is the idea of being the greatest or the strongest. And we express that through the Nintendo Switch being the most powerful system that Pokémon games have been on before in terms of the graphical capabilities and hardware specifications. Also, the Dynamax feature shows how Pokémon become huge and strong. We really want players to feel the idea of strength come through these games.

Pokemon.com: Tell us about the Galar region. What was the inspiration behind this new region? Why did you feel this would be a good setting for the next big Pokémon adventure?

Ohmori: The Galar region is based on the UK, and it ties back into the theme of “strength.” There are a lot of legends in the UK of giants and whatnot, and we're trying to convey that in these games as well.
Pretty interesting stuff~

geebraprint

Reaction score
I really don't see them doing fusion in these games. They did it in gen 5 and then again in the most recent games.

Instead, I assume they will give the wolves their own gigantamax forms. I also assume they will not fight each other and therefore completely avoid the whole contradiction of 'who would win?'. Instead, I think Hop or someone will partner with the other legendary and help you and the legendary fight a common enemy. The reveal trailer or the wolves implied as much.

TheElderKing

Fire Pokémon Expert
Reaction score
I do agree that a special Gigantamax form, or in general an alternate form, is quite possible. The reveal trailer hinted at such.

Pokegleek

ZZZ
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of that interview from a while back with Masuda and Ohmori:

Pretty interesting stuff~
This reminds me a lot of X and Y with the theme of beauty. The general conflict in the game revolves around eternal and fading beauty.

As stated in that interview, they are definitely going after the theme of strength, greatness, glory and "grandeur". A lot of things shown so far evolve around that:
  • The main gimmick from this gen: Dynamax. It is literally making your pokemon big and grand. Some even having an even greater form in Gigantamax.
  • The early reveal of Leon. While it is usual to see important characters revealed early, I cannot remember seeing the champion this early. Also, since he is the greatest trainer in Galar, he is sure to be key in the plot.
  • The general design. Fighting in big stadiums in front of a crowd trying to obtain glory. The large Wild Area which is the biggest area in a Pokemon game so far. The lack of Elite Four, which might signal that you will fight in a tourney for glory and greatness.
  • The main slogan in the first trailer: Forge a path to greatness.
Considering this, I am expecting the following:
  • The presence of a big legend aka King Arthur. The greatest legend from Britain it is sure to appear in some way in the games in a crucial role. Maybe even the lady of the lake.
  • Gigantamax starters or legends.
  • The conflict between how to achieve greatness: securing glory at the cost of everything, or earning it fair and square but risking it. Does the end of greatness justify the means?
  • Also, the perception of strength. Just because Leon is the champion, is he the strongest trainer? What does it involve being strong? Hopefully we can see this in the interactions between Hop and Leon.
If handled well, I think the story will be interesting. Hope we get to see these dilemmas.

Timaeus

Reaction score

Sheep40

Reaction score
Strength has absolutely been confirmed as a theme. I still hold out hope that they may use ubi-sunt in some capacity. It gels well with strength and lost legends, and with personal growth in general.

"What does it cost to be the strongest? How many dreams to you have to crush? Your friend's dreams, your own? Is this all trainers are good for? is this the life we're meant to have?!"

"Whether it's the way of the sword, way of th shield, way of the gun or bomb for all I care, strength for strength's sake all leads to the same place: yearning for weakness."

"Glory is paid for in tears and rage."

"The smiles, the laughter, I ask where are they?!"

(some quotes from my theory :))