• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Possible themes of Sword and Shield's story:

Sheep40

Reaction score
One of my favourite elements of pokemon is it's storytelling, which it accomplishes environmentally. Each region seems to be themed around a certain idea that's present in both the main plot, the background lore, and even the way the region's constructed. That's why, given that Galar is based around England, My head's spinning with the possibilities regarding what the themes of this generation will be: England's history is extremely vast, and many different eras mean many different things to many different people.

What I believe this generation's themes to be:

Coexistence of eternal oppposites: Given the motif of a sword and shield, an unstoppable force and an immovable object, obviously opposites yet complimentary, the legendaries hearken back somewhat to GEN V and their clash (and fusion) of truth and ideals. A bit of the weapons nerd in me spots something interesting about the legendaries: Zacian's sword is an arming sword, which must be used alongside a shield of some sort. Shields do not make great standalone weapons, so they must be paired with a sword. This could manifest as the player needing to bridge two characters with contradictory ideologies (maybe hop and another rival) in order to bring down a greater threat (whether that be the villanous team leader, Leo, or some other threat entirely). I believe this to be the most likely story point.

Cyclicality, destiny: Given Britain's ties to Arthurian lore and both germanic and celtic paganism (the themes of all three are very similar), It would make sense that references to these mythological cycles would figure heavily into the plot. A lot of these stories dealt heavily with how, deep down, heroes are just people, with their own flaws which fate often uses to empower then destroy them. Fate is a fickle, treacherous thing: it brings fortune and then punishes you for said fortune. This idea of cyclical fate could be used in a deconstructive manner: subverting much of the standard pokemon journey and displaying sides of the world and the characters that would otherwise go unseen. Given just how powerful the player character becomes at the end of their journey, there would be something truly profound about making at least one victory ring hollow. Given how sun and moon often deconstructed the ecosystems of the pokemon world and their relationship with their trainers, it would be very fascinating and profound to see the interactions between humans in a greater (and darker) light. This is medially likely

Ubi Sunt: a latin phrase meaning "where are they?", this is common to anglo-saxon mythology, medieval poetry, and the entire simarrilion. Described as a sensation of profound nostalgia regarding the past and its glory. An astute observation about life's impermenance, it meant special things to the anglo-saxons, as they lived amongst the ruins of the people they conquered, whom they then came to idolize and emulate. They developed the realization that they too would be lost to the mists of time, and that their civilization would someday disappear. It colored much of their poetry and fiction, and it's influences can be felt later in time amongst other works, famously Tolkien's Legendarium. I've actually made a little poem regarding this: "Where is the Pokemon? Where is the Trainer? Where goes the wandering road? Where the clashes at the gyms, the revelry at the frontiers; how that time has passed away, under cover of darkness, as if it had never been." In the story, I'd like to belive this could tie into a theme of cyclicality, how human nature (and pokemon nature)never changes, and about how one must always move forward no matter what. It's actually rather unlikely of the three because it lacks two essentials, one universal and one franchise-specifc: for ubi sunt to work, one needs ancient ruins, and for the theme to be compatible with pokemon, nintendo would need to portray earlier generations in a somewhat negative light. This means that they would basically need to call out genwunners and poke fun at the series' own recent obsession with it's origins. Given that we didn't see any ancient ruins, it's obvious that if this theme exists it'd done very subtly. The only first-generation pokemon we've seen so far is Leon's Charizard, and it's not featured in gameplay, so that gives a bit of precedent.

Otherworld: connected to celtic mythology, this is brought up because of the game's vocal theme: Dynamax, A new world. The otherworld, or Tír na nÓg, was the realm of the gods in celtic lore, where fae lived as well, where animals were red and white. It is not heaven, but a realm that can only be reached in mortality, through magic or through ancient burial mounds where one's ancestors would guide them. Dynamax's lyrics could allude to a pokemon version of the otherworld where the legendaries originate from, and where the journey ultimately goes. It's got very sparse evidence, and is thus the least likely.

What do you think could be sword and shield's themes as a region? and how likely do you rate my theories on the matter?

Your theories are great. Sadly they are dependant on how the story unfolds so we won't know if they are true until the game's release.

With Dynamax, all this plants and green places and the overworld, the first leader being grass and this being the first game on a home console, I'm thinking "growth" is a possible theme.

those all gell very well with what I've mentioned. And they fit the more deconstructive predictions I have a little too well.

I could see the themes of sportsmanship and competitiveness being sprinkled into this game esp. with that stadium motif and if those rumors flying around are true.

Would be interesting really.

I'm conflicted, on one hand, I don't want them to make a fusion between Zacian and Zamazenta, but on the other hand, if they do make it, then the possibility of the Original Dragon being restored in the eventual Gen 5 remakes become more of a possibility.

Not necessarily? I'm pretty sure these decisions will not influence the storyline of the game that’s 1-2 generations away.
This would actually make it more likely because of how Game Freak seems to refuse to make a fusion that involves two opposite version mascots.

how Game Freak seems to refuse to make a fusion that involves two opposite version mascots.
I’d not write it off as ‘refuse to’, since the themes did not really call for fusion of Solgaleo and Lunala in Sun/Moon.

Personally, I’d rather not see Zacian and Zamazenta fuse. I’m not fond of the increasing frequency of fusion in the main series.
Solgaleo/Lunala losing consciousness and being trapped in their own body while Necrozma does its thing was pretty unsettling for me.

I’d not write it off as ‘refuse to’, since the themes did not really call for fusion of Solgaleo and Lunala in Sun/Moon.

Personally, I’d rather not see Zacian and Zamazenta fuse. I’m not fond of the increasing frequency of fusion in the main series.
Solgaleo/Lunala losing consciousness and being trapped in their own body while Necrozma does its thing was pretty unsettling for me.
I just want the triple fusion of the Tao trio, it feels sort of half finished to only have done only part of the restoration of the Original Dragon.

I just want the triple fusion of the Tao trio, it feels sort of half finished to only have done only part of the restoration of the Original Dragon.
I do understand you want that, but I doubt the fact that Zacian and Zamazenta can or cannot fuse will influence the odds of the original dragon.

Is the original dragon even stable at this point? It split due to differences in opinion of the Twins, but when they settled their differences, even that couldn’t bring the dragon back to its original state. Kyurem's Pokedex entries also imply that it has space for either truth or ideals.
Though I'm pretty sure it’s going to happen in the Gen 5 remakes, since the mascots get some kind of new form.

Alternatively, they might individually fuse with the "evil" third legendary.

Alternatively, they might individually fuse with the "evil" third legendary.
I prefer they don't do that again, if they do fuse, I'd rather they fuse with each other rather than the third legendary.

The theme of SwSh is supposedly "heroism", but in reality I think it's simply "bigger is better", based on all the emphasis on Pokémon size.

Boring.

Last edited:
plz no pokemon fusion. i have avoided buying b2w2 and USUM because it looked like fusion was going on. if fusion ever became a consistent thing I would probably like very little of it.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom