• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Post Game Speculation

What Post game we will have in Sword/Shield?

• Post-Story episode like Delta and Rainbow Rocket

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • Second Region (Kalos)

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Blanded Post-Game with more sidequest.

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Battle Frontier

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
eVREuNi.png

I think the postgame will be disappointing. As usual. Unless they have finally decided to eliminate third versions as a concept, and have decided to put said "third version content" in SwSh. We'll see.

A second region (Kalos) for the postgame sounds very unlikely. A return of the Battle Frontier is slightly more likely, but I wouldn't bet on it either.

Part of me still hopes that the post game will be incredible since the switch has a lot more space than any of the handheld systems. But then again this is Gamefreak we’re talking about.

I don't blame anyone here for being rather pessimistic for the post-game. After all, when SM was released, it... didn't have any post-game to speak of aside from Battle Tree and challenging Red + Blue. USUM rectified this somewhat with the Rainbow Rocket storyline though, so there's that.

But I do think that it's hard to say how expansive the post-game would be without taking into consideration whether or not a third game would be a thing. If not (which would be the wiser decision, because I don't think many people are willing to drop $60 for glorified DLC), then we can expect quite a lot to do in the post-game. If otherwise, expect it to be barebones until a SwSh sequel or third game is released.

I'm willing to err on cautious optimism and say that Game Freak would want the post-game to be fun and therefore toss a few battle facilities here and there and not just include your standard Battle Tower rehash as well as some other things to do, but we'll see.

I think a postgame story is going to happen, I feel like Game Freak have big plans for Gen 8, they already opened up the routes in Sw/Sh. This postgame story would be more akin to the Delta Episode rather than the RR Episode where the third legendary gets the focus. This is probably because the next two main series slots would already be taken up by the Diamond and Pearl remakes and Let's Go Johto. I can see Game Freak doing exactly that.

I think the Switch is capable of adding another region, because it's powerful enough to do so, especially with Let's Go Johto, it's likely they'll add Kanto as a Post-region like in GSC, HG & SS. So there's no reason for Gamefreak add a region in it, Plus GF also said that they're trying something different.

That isn’t really an argument since every console since GS can handle two regions.

I think the postgame will be disappointing. As usual. Unless they have finally decided to eliminate third versions as a concept, and have decided to put said "third version content" in SwSh. We'll see.

A second region (Kalos) for the postgame sounds very unlikely. A return of the Battle Frontier is slightly more likely, but I wouldn't bet on it either.

They might put the 'Third version content' behind a DLC expansion pack, specially if 2020 ends up being a break year.

I don't blame anyone here for being rather pessimistic for the post-game. After all, when SM was released, it... didn't have any post-game to speak of aside from Battle Tree and challenging Red + Blue. USUM rectified this somewhat with the Rainbow Rocket storyline though, so there's that.

We talking renewable or non-renewable? Because it's true that SM had little to do after beating the game that was renewable (just the Battle Tree, the Battle Royal Dome (I know, technically you can access that before the post-game, but since you're probably only around Lv20 at that time and the flat rules mean you'll be facing Lv50 competitive Pokémon, let's just say I think most people will put it off), and Title Defense (which is just an improvement on E4 grinding)), but you mention Rainbow Rocket as a point for USUM, and that wasn't renewable, in which case SM did have its own post-game episode with the UBs and the last stretch of Poni Island. Again, admittedly that's not very much (especially when it's largely the same scene five times over like goddamn can I have the Looker Bureau back?), but to be fair, it is a section of the post-game that involves new areas, Pokémon you haven't been able to catch yet, new story/lore, and major characters that weren't in the main story. There are also a couple of smaller one-off things to do, like the epilogue scenes with Guzma on Melemele, capturing the four tapu, and doing the little side-story about the Eevee Trainers to get the Eevium Z.

Part of me still hopes that the post game will be incredible since the switch has a lot more space than any of the handheld systems. But then again this is Gamefreak we’re talking about.
file size hasn't been a problem for eons. there was definitely plenty of room on the 3DS's carts to do more. reality is that most of the millions that buy the game don't bother too much with, to steal wording for Esserise, 'renewable' content.
They might put the 'Third version content' behind a DLC expansion pack, specially if 2020 ends up being a break year.
i'm not a huge fan of DLC, but Game Freak is really going to shoot themselves in the foot not taking that approach with the Switch; Nintendo's said it's got several more years before they're going to look at follow-ups.
We talking renewable or non-renewable? Because it's true that SM had little to do after beating the game that was renewable (just the Battle Tree, the Battle Royal Dome (I know, technically you can access that before the post-game, but since you're probably only around Lv20 at that time and the flat rules mean you'll be facing Lv50 competitive Pokémon, let's just say I think most people will put it off), and Title Defense (which is just an improvement on E4 grinding)), but you mention Rainbow Rocket as a point for USUM, and that wasn't renewable, in which case SM did have its own post-game episode with the UBs and the last stretch of Poni Island. Again, admittedly that's not very much (especially when it's largely the same scene five times over like goddamn can I have the Looker Bureau back?), but to be fair, it is a section of the post-game that involves new areas, Pokémon you haven't been able to catch yet, new story/lore, and major characters that weren't in the main story. There are also a couple of smaller one-off things to do, like the epilogue scenes with Guzma on Melemele, capturing the four tapu, and doing the little side-story about the Eevee Trainers to get the Eevium Z.
reminds me of how picksy-choosy fans get with content. "it's content but i didn't like it or it wasn't what i wanted so i'm not counting it."

With rumors riding the "Third legendary will get more story focus than the mascots" back, what if Game Freak did that and the post-game would be Kalos? Personally, I don't believe the Kalos part considering that region hasn't received a remake yet.

Wait, Rainbow Rocket is non-renewable (I haven't gotten to that part yet in USUM)? That's kind of a shame.

I'm hoping for more renewable post-game content for these games. =P

Aren’t story-based episodes by default non renewable?

I actually didn't know it was story-based per se; I was always under the impression you could challenge all of the former evil bosses + Giovanni as many times as you wanted to for whatever reason. I didn't know it was kind of a one-and-done deal like ORAS' Delta Episode, which is disappointing.

I actually didn't know it was story-based per se; I was always under the impression you could challenge all of the former evil bosses + Giovanni as many times as you wanted to for whatever reason. I didn't know it was kind of a one-and-done deal like ORAS' Delta Episode, which is disappointing.

Yeah, it’s pretty story based. The battles are a part of the plot.

I mean, technically you can rebattle Giovanni, in a sense, through the Battle Agency, but that's just fluff and not really the main point of the Agency.

Although strictly speaking, even Battle Frontiers aren't truly renewable, since there is a clear goal to work toward (earning all of the Symbols/Prints). Once you've done that, what reason is there to keep it up? The difference is, of course, that it takes a hell of a lot more time to earn the Symbols than it does to complete a post-game storyline, so it feels much more substantial, even if most of that substance really does just boil down to an RNG endurance test amid some fun/quirky battle or adventure formats. The PWT made itself slightly more worth repeating due to the three-round tournament structure, so even if you did reach the Champion rank, you would only be facing three out of seven Champions (and to even get to the Champion rank, you had to clear the World Leaders rank ten times), so you could give it another few attempts if you wanted to battle different ones.

I'd love to see battle facilities aside from the traditional Battle Tower/Maison/Tree.
Adding to my previous comment, I'd also prefer if we don't have an extra lengthy postgame story, especially if that story is going to be better than the main campaign. That just defeats the point of the game and its supposed selling point as well. I enjoyed the Looker Sidequest and the Delta Episode, but I can't help thinking that the Looker Sidequest should have been part of the main game, altered slightly so that it isn't just Xerosic doing stuff on his own and Emma can play a big part as a cooperative NPC. As for the Delta Episode, we could have had a massive conspiracy scenario if Zinnia was introduced earlier with her suspicious behavior (perhaps even battling us as a Aqua/Magma grunt)

Aside from a potential battle frontier, I'd also like extra things to do such as rematches with major NPCs outside of their usual locations and perhaps a facility that we can manage (like the Join Avenue). B2W2 had so much content to enjoy even after the main campaign (even throwing in a dating sim), so I don't see why they won't be able to do that again.

UPDATE: I've just added another poll for Battle Frontier option, those who voted for Post-region, can change their vote to whatever your opinion for the Post-game.

Still holding on to my vote about a post-game story.

I would like a post-game section of Galar, with routes filled with non-Galar Pokémon to fill the National Dex, a Battle Frontier, maybe a post-league storyline taking place there.

Outside of previous features like battle frontier, rematches and and end game areas. I'd like for to be more multiplayer options. Nintendo managed to make a Tetris battle Royale work. There is so much Gamefreak can do more with Pokémon. Like here is an idea: put a bunch of players in a maze together with and if they battle with Battle factory rules if they are close to each other. You can make an elimination game with this or you can just make it so, it's endless and anyone who loses can instantly can respawn with a new team if they want so, it's just a silly mode to goof off in.

But I don't expect much of anything.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom