• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Post Game Speculation

What Post game we will have in Sword/Shield?

• Post-Story episode like Delta and Rainbow Rocket

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • Second Region (Kalos)

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Blanded Post-Game with more sidequest.

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Battle Frontier

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What about a trip to northern ireland that has pokemons unavailable during the game , has battle frontier , and you can return to that northern city with a battle tower ? It would great

Sadly, I think the chances of a Battle Frontier and various facilities is getting slimmer and slimmer. When ORAS came, they stated that the reason they didn't do is because not "enough" people were using ( Bear in mind when they talk about everyone or people, they mean Japanese Children. ) And then in Let's Go, they stated that mobile games are popular among children and the game was much simpler and easier because of that. In GF eyes, what's the point of adding extra modes and facilties when barely anyone is going to use them? It sure saves them effort and time of programming. It makes sense since mobile gaming is the most popular form of gaming in Japan, and to GF their local market is the most important market.
Maybe not an entire Battle Frontier, but the fact that we got the Battle Royal Dome and the Battle Agency in Gen 7 makes me think the minimum number of Battle facilities per generation might have been upped by Game Freak (one vanilla + one non-standard). In addition, why would Game Freak have included the Battle Royal Dome if they thought no one would be interested in it?

There's a reason why Sinnoh has a larger post game. TamashiiHiroka stated her DP retro review that DP came in a time where the Pokemon franchise was at risk of failing. Hence, why a larger post game and Battle Frontier came in this generation.

Also mobile gaming was not dominant at this time. Fast forward few years, the Pokemon franchise has solidified- and mobile gaming is much more popular and accessible- In GF eyes, they want to create a game that easy to playthrough to the end without the risks of a child dropping the game and playing mobile games instead. That's why there's barley any new areas to explore other than a new episode, or there's a Battle Frontier: GF is afraid is a child will get frustrated and move on, which is also why for the majority of the game lacks a significant difficult increase.
Actually, Gen 4's Battle Frontier was stated in a director's interview as intended to be something to talk about among friends to drum up strategies as to how you can beat the facilities. It gave people something to talk about, which was why it got included int the first place. I forget which interview this was though, so I might be mis-remembering. As for Let's Go!, I'm pretty sure it was meant to be a beginner's game from the get-go (for both newcomers and lapsed fans), with the Pokémon GO! aspect being in there since that's what they would be familiar with. Considering that Let's Go! is likely to be a sub-series, having bare-bones main games would make Let's Go! seem a bit redundant.

In addition, despite the lack of a Battle Frontier, Game Freak did upgrade already existing features like the secret bases rather than leaving them out of ORAS altogether. They might have made Contests easier, but they aren't a complete joke either: it's just less reliant on luck now. They also added a bit more to the contests rather than just making them easier.

It wouldn't say Game Freak is putting less and less content into the games; they probably just focused more on certain areas then they did others (which seems to be more focused on aesthetics post-ORAS, which is a shame because they did work hard to improve certain features even with the streamlining for those games).

Honestly, Pokemon is starting to feel like a game that your supposed to play once and never play ever again. You only get one save file, and starting over means you have to get rid of it. Then, the easy short, game, with an easy post game, which now consists of an episode. Now you wait on for the next game, which you stall out via mobile games. That's also a good reason why the games are being released via 1-2 years, in response to Pokemon games being easy to finish, they trying to release new games faster to ensure Pokemon isn't forgotten completely. Its sad to get that vibe from a Pokemon Game, because Pokemon is a game with a lot of replay value.
But the lack of content only makes more people disinterested in the games, and it only guarantees that more people will go back to mobile apps. If they want to be able to compete, Game Freak needs to give them something that mobile games don't give them rather than trying to emulate mobile games in general. At this point, what you're suggesting is that Game Freak has given up entirely on try to compete and are merely working around it. If that's indeed the case, then why is Game Freak even bothering to make games if they truly believe they can't win against F2P and pay-to-win games? Make you wonder why they don't abandon non-mobile games altogether.

If anything, I think Game Freak is simply missing why mobile games are popular/successful to begin with:
  1. Mobile games are either cheap or free-to-play
  2. They get most of their revenue from intrusive adds and micro transactions,
  3. Everyone has a smartphone, while not everyone has a dedicated gaming console.
All three points have little to do with how easy a game is. In fact, some mobile games are actually pretty challenging if you don't gamble your money away.

In the end, I feel that Game Freak needs to either try or die. They need to go in a direction that focuses on the people who actually want to spend enough money for a dedicated experience instead of chasing a market that most likely won't given them the time of day. But I'm not Game Freak, so I can live without certain content as long as what we do have is fun enough to play!

I'm expecting Sword and Shield to have an episode of some kind, followed by a Vanilla Battle Facility. To be fair, I don't think a large story or a new area to explore is necessarily needed, I think it just needs to be challenging. And that's the problem. Game Freak doesn't want to make the game challenging for those reasons mentioned above.
Perhaps they should focus less on challenge and casual friendliness and more on fun and immersive features. Kingdom Hearts 3 has a lot of fun mini-games, but those end up getting overlooked because of a lot of things that were seemingly absent from the in comparison to normal titles. This is mostly because it seems like SquareEnix made a lot of those features geared towards a more causal/newcomer audience, which isn't exactly the smartest move when you're literally making the last game in a long-running saga for the fans that have been with you since the beginning.

My point is that you obviously can't please everyone, but you can at least try to appease those you know have higher chance of enjoying your games. And I feel that the problem Game Freak is having isn't necessarily as lack of difficulty for the games: it's just that they're trying to get an audience that is very difficult to obtain and keep them coming back, thinking they can accomplish this with a dedicated RPG involving tons of different monsters, instead of focusing on the people who would be interested in their monster-collecting dedicated RPG or switching to making mobile IPs for the smartphone audience.

The one thing we seem to agree on is this: Game Freak needs to decide who their games are for and why certain kinds of games are as popular with certain audiences as they are. They are currently in the awkward phase of trying to appease a certain market while expecting to keep their old ones around despite taking away things the existing audience holds dear that likely won't affect those who don't use those features anyway. Hopefully they can pick up on this learning curve before it's too late for their company; they seem fine for the moment, but things could easily change in the future.

I can bet you this will be the post game.

* That big ben looking thing in the final city is the battle facility, most likely another battle tower clone.
*There are around 4-6 legendary pokemon to catch in the post game (that are new pokemon)
*looker appears like he has in every generation since 4

Really I can't see anything that looks extra on the map like once you beat the elite four at that dome building at the top of the region you've already explored the whole map.

Really I can't see anything that looks extra on the map like once you beat the elite four at that dome building at the top of the region you've already explored the whole map.
A more extensive post-game pretty much hinges on mini Ireland being a thing, and to be honest that would be a little insulting for Irish fans.

A more extensive post-game pretty much hinges on mini Ireland being a thing, and to be honest that would be a little insulting for Irish fans.

(North-)Ireland not being part of the region would be an even bigger insult. If Scottland is already part of the region, then there's no reason to not include Ireland. Wales could be represented by a route or something since it a small country on the side of England. North-Ireland is as small, but it's on an seperate island. And that would be a perfect post-game island like in Sinnoh.

If not now, then maybe in a potential sequel, but not including it in a UK region at all would be a damn shame.

I suppose that north Ireland would be a reasonable compromise, but the rest of the island isn't part of the UK and should only be included for a very good reason.

Please, for the love of Arceus, have Northern Ireland be a Battle Frontier in Galar GF. It would be mint, we'd all love it, even the kids. I know I did when I was 13 and played Emerald for the first time.

I'd like the post-game to be at least as large as the one in Diamond/Pearl, but with more story.

I probably think we should have the dining battle frontier so they can add it in the d,p,p remakes but I mostly want to to go to kalos and a post game story involving zygarde

Max Raids can be a huge post-game attraction if they know how to use it. I mean, they could "distribute" unique raids to the online service subscribers, with shinies, maybe mythicals, and everything else.

Max Raids can be a huge post-game attraction if they know how to use it. I mean, they could "distribute" unique raids to the online service subscribers, with shinies, maybe mythicals, and everything else.

Exactly, I feel like that is the precise draw of dynamax. It gives it that MMORPG feel.

It's very likely that the third legendary will get a post-game story.

Not that it makes much difference, but I hope the post-game story of this game to not be broken into "episodes". Personally, I don't like that. It doesn't make that much difference but I think it breaks the immersion a little. I don't like "episodes".

My ideal way of a good post-game story is when during the main story, the third legendary gets involved and then you learn that it has an alternate form through the post-game story. Now whether Game Freak will do that is another story.

Due to recent news about the lack of a National Dex and the removal of National Dex Pokémon, is it possible that we might not even get a post game at this point? Or is there still some hope left?

Due to recent news about the lack of a National Dex and the removal of National Dex Pokémon, is it possible that we might not even get a post game at this point? Or is there still some hope left?
We’ll probably will have something, just filled with Galar Dex mons.

The more I think about it, the more I want the SwSh battle facility be an Irish tavern. Only instead of selling alcohol, they’d be selling rule modifiers for your campaign using BP (things like an inverted type chart, permanent Trick Room/Wonder Room/Magic Room, Battle Arena rules, etc.).

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom