• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Potential new battling style?!

Reaction score
(Wasn't sure where to post it so I went for the general area) When I was watching the Vanipete episode, at the team rocket scene, where Ash starts the battle, I got this little idea. When he was telling Clemont and Serena to call out their Pokèmon, I thought he looks like a leader or team captain and how nice it would be to have some kind of battle style, utilizing this. It would surely offer something new and enjoyable for Pokèmon and add to the connecting people and friendship theme (also would be nice to have Pokèmon battles become an official competitive sport, maybe even Olympia) of it. Then I came up with the following:

Multi-Trainer Co-op Battle:
You can imagine it as a team sport in the Pokèverse.
Multiple trainers (let's say 5 for example, including a leader) fight half or full (3 or 6 Pokèmons per trainer and fight) battles together as teams.
Additionally to that, each battle has a random, unique condition to it, if it is good or bad for one side. You just have to adapt, if you have skill.

Basic rules could be like that:
1. Each team must have 5 (less doesn't seem enough of a team to me) trainers to participate.
2. A battle includes either 3 or 6 Pokemon per Trainer.
3. One Trainer has to be appointed as leader.
4. The winning team is the team that won overall more battles.
5. If there is an overall draw, the leader or a replacement participates in the deciding battle.
6. Each Trainer has an opponent and battles under certain conditions like for example no battlefield border restrictions, no items, weather, terrain, bonuses for certain stats or types...
7. The trainer of which all Pokèmons faint or get hurt too much will lose. The referee can also end a battle and declare a winner, if a trainer, Pokèmon or spectators are endangered.
If all opponents agree - unmistakably, it may still continue under normal conditions for winning. The referee has the last saying in this though.
8. Leaders battle each other as well, but are the only ones, that may intervene in the team’s battles.
If they think there is a need, they won't get penalized or disqualified for intervening but they still have to deal with their battle.
9. If other trainer than the leader intervene in a battle, they get disqualified or at least penalized for doing so, except it clearly was unintentional. The involved referee's may decide this.
10. Leaders can also coordinate their teammates with a communicator or support them in battle with assist moves.
11. Leader battles are always in motion, not bound to a battlefield (plus other conditions)

That's about what came up to me. How does it sound, do you like it or have any suggestions? I'd like to hear your opinion.

To me, it sounds like your referring to something like a Pokémon Clan or Team, Almost similar to the teams in the games; Rocket, Magma, Aqua, Galactic, etc pass the grunts to get to the boss.

I think this is a pretty cool idea but only for battling with your friends, I don't see anything like that happening in the games as part of the plot/storyline.

Glad you like it too. Being a Pokethlon side-event would already be nice but I thought more on the line as an actual battle style like tag battles (or rather a step upwards of it), double battle, dribble battle or rotation battle. Something you could play Online with some friends in a Team.

To me, it sounds like your referring to something like a Pokémon Clan or Team, Almost similar to the teams in the games; Rocket, Magma, Aqua, Galactic, etc pass the grunts to get to the boss.

I think this is a pretty cool idea but only for battling with your friends, I don't see anything like that happening in the games as part of the plot/storyline.

Well, that "Clan" thing would only apply if it was an official competitive sport in tournament or a league and it would be nice to get that far with a battle style like this but just a new way of battling together with friends would already be a big thing for me. Pokemon is all about friendship and connecting people thus it just seems natural to also have a team like in soccer, football handball, basketball,... whatever team sport because you play with friends.
That it's becoming plot-relevant (in the games) was not intended. I already thought it might be a bit difficult to implement in-game due the rather stationary battles then having NPC's doing it? Not so likely. I don't know though, on the other hand, the round based battle-system gives the time to think your moves through and to wage the options with the friends your playing with. I really like the point of fighting together with a few friends just if you would play a variety of sports with them. But I also found the though interesting for the Anime to go at.

I like this idea.

It'd be perfect as something that could be in a Battle Tower-type event.

Unfortunately, I don't see it being used as a plot element.

I like this idea.

It'd be perfect as something that could be in a Battle Tower-type event.

Unfortunately, I don't see it being used as a plot element.

Now that you said it, I could very well see these being the rules in a Battle Frontier facility. It fits really well!

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom