• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Potential News Dates (Comments May Contain Spoilers!)

I wouldn't exclude that all past megas get a giga form in Galar, honestly. This would be a small consolation for the lack of their previous forms.
Anyway, have you noticed in the last scene how they are comparing Zacian and Zamazenta?

View attachment 120821

They really look like two forms of the same pokemon, or two brothers pokemon, or two evolutions of the same pokemon. It's also quite weird that we don't have their gameplay, types, abilities and proportions yet and that these are the first legends that are still unknown to people in their own region. Not counting that they are not that legendary pokemon in design (at least not as much as the previous legends). Something is going on with these two imo. I hope they don't mess it up with their plot and let them be the usual finale showdown with the evil man/woman who needs them to destroy the world.

Given that it’s pretty sure Sword and Shield are set in alternate timelines/universes, given the complete different gym and leader in at least one case, it’s quite possibly that they’re the ‘same’ Pokémon/from the same evolutionary line (if it’ll have one), that evolved different in each universe, with one him being more suited to offense and in the other to defense, or whatever differentiation they’ll add between the two.

Given that it’s pretty sure Sword and Shield are set in alternate timelines/universes, given the complete different gym and leader in at least one case, it’s quite possibly that they’re the ‘same’ Pokémon/from the same evolutionary line (if it’ll have one), that evolved different in each universe, with one him being more suited to offense and in the other to defense, or whatever differentiation they’ll add between the two.
While another solgaleo/lunala scenario is possible, I would esclude these are just forms of the same pokemon because:
  • they have different names.
  • we have seen them together in the same scene.
  • apparently Zacian sword is a normal sword, It's not part of It. So no way Zamazenta gets the sword changing form.
  • you cannot transfer them to the opposite game shortly after release (because you would need a key item of some sort distributed by tpci).
Imo the most likely option is them being relatives somehow or pokemon of the same specie (like latios and latias or tornadus, thundurus and landorus).

I’m really torn right now because Sword has the better looking exclusives but Shield has the better looking legendary. Oh well, if I get shield I can at least bring in the sword exclusives via Pokémon home.

While another solgaleo/lunala scenario is possible, I would esclude these are just forms of the same pokemon because:
  • they have different names.
  • we have seen them together in the same scene.
  • apparently Zacian sword is a normal sword, It's not part of It. So no way Zamazenta gets the sword changing form.
  • you cannot transfer them to the opposite game shortly after release (because you would need a key item of some sort distributed by tpci).
Imo the most likely option is them being relatives somehow or pokemon of the same specie (like latios and latias or tornadus, thundurus and landorus).
Didn’t Solgaleo and Lunala also ‘meet’ in a trailer before release?

I think either options are possible at this point. Both names and changing forms might be differen beacsuse of alternate timelines, expecially if they’re an evolutionary line.

I’m not stuck with this theory in any case, I just think it could happen. As well, the Romulus/Remus ‘influence’ on them being developed as relatives is also interesting, and their wolf nature may be a reference to that myth. We’ll See.

I’m really torn right now because Sword has the better looking exclusives but Shield has the better looking legendary. Oh well, if I get shield I can at least bring in the sword exclusives via Pokémon home.
For me it’s a bit of a mix. I prefer Zacian and Bea, and consider the Heydregon, Goodra and Kommo-O line around the same level...but I love Tyranitar.

I don't know about that. With Gamefreak talking about some Pokemon models not being in the game, i can see them making the Version Exclusive truly Exclusive and not put the data for them in the opposing game (Its unlikely, but we cannot rule it out yet).

i can see them making the Version Exclusive truly Exclusive and not put the data for them in the opposing game (Its unlikely, but we cannot rule it out yet).
Trading is the entire purpose behind version exclusives. The Pokémon have been excluded because they don’t have models in SwSh, so it doesn’t make sense coding in a model for one version and leaving it out of another.

I don't know about that. With Gamefreak talking about some Pokemon models not being in the game, i can see them making the Version Exclusive truly Exclusive and not put the data for them in the opposing game (Its unlikely, but we cannot rule it out yet).
Unlikely, given that Larvitar and Jangmo-O are available in opposite game in form of raid crystals it you preorder the double pack. The fact that you can have them with that from the start of the game basically, means that they’re coded in both games.

A move like what you suggest would be even more criticized (and with far less justifications then the Dexit); and it’ll be also restraining for competitive battles, as you wouldn’t be able to access a certain Pokémon that might be quite good competitively fin you won’t buy both versions.

Not counting that they are not that legendary pokemon in design (at least not as much as the previous legends).

Personally I can't say I see what you're talking about there. To me, Zacian and Zamazenta look far more ornate and elaborate than average Pokémon, and are easily on the same visual level as stuff like Solgaleo and Lunala.

Unlikely, given that Larvitar and Jangmo-O are available in opposite game in form of raid crystals it you preorder the double pack. The fact that you can have them with that from the start of the game basically, means that they’re coded in both games.

A move like what you suggest would be even more criticized (and with far less justifications then the Dexit); and it’ll be also restraining for competitive battles, as you wouldn’t be able to access a certain Pokémon that might be quite good competitively fin you won’t buy both versions.

Ahh... i missed that then i think.

Didn’t Solgaleo and Lunala also ‘meet’ in a trailer before release?

I think either options are possible at this point. Both names and changing forms might be differen beacsuse of alternate timelines, expecially if they’re an evolutionary line.

I’m not stuck with this theory in any case, I just think it could happen. As well, the Romulus/Remus ‘influence’ on them being developed as relatives is also interesting, and their wolf nature may be a reference to that myth. We’ll See.
Solgaleo and Lunala were different pokemon not forms...that was my point.
If they have different names but they are just different forms of the same pokemon, how will the pokedex register them?

I suppose they could be "different forms of the same Pokémon" in lore while functionally being coded as two different Pokémon for gameplay purposes. Kinda like how lore-wise, Slowpoke evolves by meeting a Shellder, but you can go the entire game without ever seeing a Shellder and still use a Slowbro or Slowking.

Alternatively (and I don't actually think this will happen, but still), having forms being registered in the Dex with altogether different names is really just the next step up from Hoopa, no? Because unlike all other forms, Hoopa actually changes its category listing depending on which form it is in - as Hoopa Confined, it is registered as the Mischief Pokémon, but as Hoopa Unbound, it is registered as the Djinn Pokémon. So if you were in the Pokédex and last looked at [legendary doggo] in its Zacian form, it would display Zacian, but you could switch it over to display Zamazenta if you wanted.

If they have different names but they are just different forms of the same pokemon, how will the pokedex register them?
Just to play devil's advocate, the names in the trailer could just be nicknames for those two instances of the same species. Their actual species name would probably be something different in that case.

Not that I personally believe that they're the same Pokémon though. If anything, they probably started out of the same species but underwent different mutations, kind of like Carbink's relation to Diancie.

I think it's more of a Sawk and Throh thing where they look alike but are different pokemon. That or an eeveelution thing, if they are evolved forms of the same pokemon, where the evolutions just look strikingly similar. Either way, I'm sure the pokedex will register them separately.

If not, then I guess they'll just share a pokedex number and be displayed like different forms, but with names. No big deal, really.

I suppose they could be "different forms of the same Pokémon" in lore while functionally being coded as two different Pokémon for gameplay purposes. Kinda like how lore-wise, Slowpoke evolves by meeting a Shellder, but you can go the entire game without ever seeing a Shellder and still use a Slowbro or Slowking.

True. You can add Type: Null in that list as well... Type:Null is Silvally with armor. Its technically not an evolution, but i can see why Gamefreak made them an evolution, else the coding might get messed up.

True. You can add Type: Null in that list as well... Type:Null is Silvally with armor. Its technically not an evolution, but i can see why Gamefreak made them an evolution, else the coding might get messed up.

Yeah, I thought about mentioning that one as well. It's really just a form change, but there's no reason why it would ever change back into Type: Null, plus Silvally needs to be able to switch over to its elemental forms once the helmet is broken. So making it an evolution (via friendship, emphasizing the bond between it and Gladion) just makes more practical sense.

There's a rumor that says another trailer is supposed to drop on July 24th, and it shows off three new pokemon, as well as cutting away right as Eevee is about to evolve. Do y'all think there is any truth to this?

There's a rumor that says another trailer is supposed to drop on July 24th, and it shows off three new pokemon, as well as cutting away right as Eevee is about to evolve. Do y'all think there is any truth to this?
Didn't the rumor also mention that Impidimp would be shown in Corocoro? We haven't seen Impidimp in this month's Corocoro leaks.

Back
Top Bottom