• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Potential News Dates (Comments May Contain Spoilers!)

I really wouldn't worry about the reveals being indicative of the number of new pokemon. XY's reveal cycle was a lot like SM's with having too many reveals, so this news cycle is very clearly just keeping more stuff secret to be discovered in the game rather than spoiling it all outright.

Looking back, I actually don't think XY's cycle was that bad. It's a little messier, but for comparison with the above:

January: Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie, Xerneas, Yveltal

Score: 5 Kalos Pokémon known

February: Sylveon

Score: 6

April: Mega Mewtwo Y

Score: 7

May: Fletchling, Helioptile, Gogoat, Pancham

Score: 11

June: Talonflame, Skrelp, Clauncher, Vivillon, Noivern, Scatterbug, Spewpa, Flabébé, Litleo

Score: 20

July: Honedge, Pangoro, Inkay, Malamar, Spritzee, Swirlix, Trevenant

Score: 27

August: Dedenne, Bunnelby, Skiddo, Mega Lucario, Mega Mawile, Mega Ampharos, Mega Absol, Mega Blaziken, Mega Kangaskhan

Score: 36

September: Mega Venusaur, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Blastoise, Furfrou, Quilladin, Braixen, Frogadier, Meowstic, Tyrunt, Tyrantrum, Amaura, Aurorus, Mega Mewtwo X, Mega Garchomp, Pyroar, Doublade

Score: 52

October: Mega Charizard X, Slurpuff, Aromatisse; Mega Tyranitar, Mega Aggron, and Mega Gengar were all leaked in the Corocoro that was set to go out at about the same time as the games

Score: 55/58 depending on how you count it

And that's out of a total of 97 designs (new Pokémon + Mega Evolutions, not counting the three Mythicals or, even though they were programmed in, Mega Latias/Latios for obvious reasons). I think it's probably still a little too reveal-heavy, especially on the new Pokémon side as opposed to the Mega Evolution side, but it's not as saturated as SM.

I would Like this post 100x over if I could- thank you for the breakdown! <3

I appreciate it, thanks. :D

Last edited:
Yes, thank you @Esserise ! It really puts into perspective how crazy they went with SM when they really shouldn't have. Makes me believe even more that they are just taking a hugely different approach this time, in order to leave some things to discover.

Is anything not a Ghost to you?
hey we didnt get that typing yet...

I think this time they have high secret reveal level in comparance to last generation where they revealed too much. It could not be dependent on amount of pokemon and forms. How is this generation in comparance to reveals of past generations when it comes to amount of new pokemon, forms,abilities, moves?

hey we didnt get that typing yet...
We've barely had any pokemon revealed, so we haven't gotten a Fighting, Ground or Psychic-type revealed yet either. I just question your thing with Ghosts because you seem to want to shove it into concepts where it wouldn't make the most sense- hungry guinea pigs, giant cakes and gargoyles? None of those are very Ghost-like.

Don't worry, I'm sure there is at least one new Ghost in Galar. =P The UK has plenty of ghost stories to draw from, so we don't have to push it into anything random.

I realize I'm guilty of this myself, but I just realized a hilarious irony:
  • LGPE, no abilities in battle-lots of fans were upset.
  • Galar Wheezing's ability is revealed to make battles with no abilities-"Oh, cool!"
(The difference is that we have a choice, but still...)

I realize I'm guilty of this myself, but I just realized a hilarious irony:
  • LGPE, no abilities in battle-lots of fans were upset.
  • Galar Wheezing's ability is revealed to make battles with no abilities-"Oh, cool!"
(The difference is that we have a choice, but still...)
I think it is definitely more interesting to have an ability that turns off other abilities in a game where abilities exist, because it's a challenge and something you have to plan around, versus abilities just being totally absent for the entire game and removing a dimension of battling entirely.

I think it is definitely more interesting to have an ability that turns off other abilities in a game where abilities exist, because it's a challenge and something you have to plan around, versus abilities just being totally absent for the entire game and removing a dimension of battling entirely.

Exactly. Theres planning a strategy around it where as not having abilities in general doesn't add complexity.

Slaking , Archeops and Regigigas are happy for their oponent and partner.
If it works better then Gastro Acid of course. They would need to show it on the right pokemon.
Shedinja, Mimikyu Wishiwashi, Silvally,Minior, Darmanitan need to worry.

Last edited:
I mean, I think it was clear that LGPE’s removing of abilities was never going to be a long-term thing, unless that blossoms into a side-series. As a nostalgic throwback to the old mechanics in a generally more relaxed game, it’s fine. Frankly, part of me quite liked not having to deal with Levitate and Sturdy for once. It’s like going on vacation.

I mean, I think it was clear that LGPE’s removing of abilities was never going to be a long-term thing, unless that blossoms into a side-series. As a nostalgic throwback to the old mechanics in a generally more relaxed game, it’s fine. Frankly, part of me quite liked not having to deal with Levitate and Sturdy for once. It’s like going on vacation.

Damp? Galar Weezing used Explosion.

Simpler times.

So, in essence, Neutralizing Gas is basically an upgraded Mold Breaker. The latter only allowed attacking moves to bypass abilities, while NG shuts them down entirely... well, now I know what ability Unova's Original Dragon would've had. Even the name (in engrish) is oddly fitting, so I'd assume a variation but same basic function.

While the ability is great for doubles, (assuming the Pokemon that would benefit from it are even in the game) hopefully G-Weezing has a better stat distribution to operate in singles, too. Also... M-Rayquaza's bullshit may at last be brought to an end by this industrious fairy.

Last edited:
Simpler times.

So, in essence, Neutralizing Gas is basically an upgraded Mold Breaker. The latter only allowed attacking moves to bypass abilities, while NG shuts them down entirely... well, now I know what ability Unova's Original Dragon would've had. Even the name (in engrish) is oddly fitting, so I'd assume a variation but same basic function.

While the ability is great for doubles, (assuming the Pokemon that would benefit from it are even in the game) hopefully G-Weezing has a better stat distribution to operate in singles, too. Also... M-Rayquaza's bullshit may at last be brought to an end by this industrious fairy.
Raquayza's reign kinda ended when it was said megas were gone. But yeah, we got pokemon like Archeops, and Golisopod in, and they can definitely make a new best friend in Weezing.

Slaking , Archeops and Regigigas are happy for their oponent and partner.
If it works better then Gastro Acid of course. They would need to show it on the right pokemon.
Shedinja, Mimikyu Wishiwashi, Silvally,Minior, Darmanitan need to worry.
That’s if those Pokémon even make it into the game. Also, I’m assuming it won’t work on certain abilities that cause form changes as those abilities are not affected by any other means of ability change.
Raquayza's reign kinda ended when it was said megas were gone. But yeah, we got pokemon like Archeops, and Golisopod in, and they can definitely make a new best friend in Weezing.
Rayquaza was good long before it had a Mega. Also, I don’t recall Archeops ever being confirmed in.

That’s if those Pokémon even make it into the game. Also, I’m assuming it won’t work on certain abilities that cause form changes as those abilities are not affected by any other means of ability change.

Rayquaza was good long before it had a Mega. Also, I don’t recall Archeops ever being confirmed in.
Huh, I thought I saw Archeops in a trailer once.

Yeah, else Wishiwashi is pointless one region after introduction.
I'm kind of just assuming there's gonna be an annoying list of abilities that just aren't affected. Including Schooling, Shields Down, Disguise, Stance Change... Basically those abilities they've been real fond of lately that are tied to the whole concept and mechanics of one individual Pokemon.

Back
Top Bottom