• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Potential News Dates (Comments May Contain Spoilers!)

By the day of release, everything will be out. Did you forget there's guides with a Pokedex? Those come out on the same day as release, and people will make all that info available online probably the same day.

If people don't want to know everything on release day, the only way is not have a weak will.
That's not the same as learning on the day of release that you've already seen everything via official trailers, though. People might make all that info available (datamines honestly are inevitable) but that still comes with the general buzz of "Wow there's still a whole lot to discover in the games!" and anyone who wants to discover that for themselves are going to shove away the unofficial spoilers and be more excited to pick up a game to discover those things for themselves. It's a lot easier to avoid spoilers in the short term than it is to avoid them for months.

Sun and Moon couldn't have been less exciting to me than when I learned that there wasn't a whole lot left to discover that wasn't already officially revealed. The datamines came out and it was this impression of "That's it?" I would have been way more interested if I had learned that there was a whole lot more that hadn't been revealed officially in the months before release. Pretty much you get the game and you've already seen everything in a fancy trailer- not a still image tease like we get with datamines, but full fleshed and moving, already put in its best light via official channels. There was very little left to experience for the first time, and my interest just utterly died to the point that my progress was reduced to a slow crawl. (Granted Sun and Moon also has some design choices that didn't help either, like overloading early routes with old pokemon that I didn't care to see- but learning that they'd already revealed most of the new pokemon to discover sure wasn't helpful on top of that.)

Let's also say that this new marketing campaign is not really helping the games. I don't remember the last time the hype was so low after a couple of days from a trailer. Around the 10th of the month people have already stopped discussing about the games. Just look at this forum, the amount of daily replies has been really low in the last 20 days and we are two and a half months from release...I don't know how to explain it, It's like everything that is announced has not that many things to be analysed or discovered. We just receive some informations and then we wait for the next bunch. Maybe It's because for me everything about gen 8 feels already seen/used in the past...Gyms are old gyms but bigger, new pokemon are new pokemon, galar forms are just alola forms, regional evolutions are new cross gen evolutions, Dynamax and Gigantamax are just bigger megas/z-moves etc..Even if we know basically nothing, It's like we already know everything about the new features.
Admittedly, it is a bit too slow and the whole Dexit situation has not helped things. But I don't think that pre-release is the best time for discovery either- think of the analysis and discovery hype that will happen when the games release and everyone can actually dive in and explore the games for themselves.

In all, there are definitely ways that this news cycle could be improved (maybe a bit more frequent news, actually giving CoroCoro some tidbits, and more creative news drops like Meltan's initial reveal in Pokemon GO would have been a plus), but I still think that it's an improvement over Gen 7's reveal-too-much cycle.

I guess might be worth it to point out that marketing can be more of an art form than a science and it can take some trial and error to see what the best balance is. Next gen will probably learn from this and hopefully balance better between reveals and secrecy.

By the day of release, everything will be out. Did you forget there's guides with a Pokedex? Those come out on the same day as release, and people will make all that info available online probably the same day.

If people don't want to know everything on release day, the only way is not have a weak will.
There's a very important difference between learning about everything that's in the game the week of release, and learning during release week that you've already seen everything in the game weeks ago.

Idk check the leaks thread lol
I got it. Here:

Yeah. But, I don't have sure if this leak is 100% reliable. I only trust on Affleck leak. Let's see what this trailer will show tomorrow.
i mean if it guessed the date right so he might be up to something, but i take it with a grain of salt just to be on the safe side lol

The Pokémon Twitter account is advertising this direct as well. There will definitely be some kind of new info in it. I am going all in and saying they will show off the starter mid evos tomorrow. Being a Nintendo direct, more eyes will be on this than a regular Pokémon trailer video. It's the best time for something as hype-inducing as starter evolutions.

Question is, will they finally show Eternatus? Makes sense since it's now a lot closer to release, with just one month between now and then.

Back
Top Bottom