• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Potential News Dates (Comments May Contain Spoilers!)

So you never want humans to improve anything because you can't stand the negativity you state comes with it?

I'm at a loss here. Again; negativity is an emotion, good criticism is devoid of emotions, as it makes things blurry and less objective.

The negativity in people's heads can still result in non-negative criticism. You were talking thought-processes as well as resulting criticism, I'm only talking about the resulting criticism. And the latter doesn't need to be negative, it's even better if it lacks emotions.

Criticism definition number 1: The expression of disapproval of someone or something based on perceived faults and mistakes.

Criticism definition number 2: The analysis and judgement of the merits and faults of a literary or artistic work.

Take your pick, just be clear.

Negativity definition: the expression of criticism of or pessimism about something.

No joke, not even from me, look it up

Negativity definition: the expression of criticism of or pessimism about something.

No joke, not even from me, look it up
As I said, I'm talking criticism without emotional load.

The examples you used earlier are forms of criticism WITH emotional load (in this case, negative load).

So you think the analysis and judgement of merits and faults is one-sided negativity? Okay.

Ooff. Semantics argument. These are always fun. Criticism can be positive or negative. A criticism could be a "compliment"; telling someone how they did something well. Critics aren't suppose to list only the faults. They are also suppose to explain what was done well too. Thus, critism can be negative or positive. And it's not really about whether the critique is fueled by emotion, but how it's interpreted by the reader. Going on somewhere and seeing nothing, but "disapproval" comments and all the "approval" comments being drowned out; it creates a sense of negativity for some people especially when the reader does not agree with the critique being made.

edit: changed critiques to critics

Last edited:
not to be like, too much of a Negative Nancy, but this real life not some fantasy story. we can Wish and Hope really hard that Game Freak will change their mind, but realistically, there is no real chance of them changing their mind. the writing has been on the wall for this decision for a considerable period of time. i mean really, throughout 6-7 Game Freak was complaining about how many Pokemon there were. as i've been saying, they made this decision now as a ripping off the band-aid situation.

the only realistic way they're changing their mind is if sales plummet due to the change (and not the new console).
It's called feedback? And any good business should take it into consideration?

It's not a fantasy to say that protests have ever worked, and the people protesting Dexit are basically doing the same thing as picketers- they're waving their BringBackNationalDex hashtags like picket signs. And like any other protest, I support the people who go and just wave their signs without attacking anyone else. Peaceful protesting. It's fine and it has a history of getting results- maybe not 100% of the time, but with certainly better odds than just giving up and staying quiet.

How else are you to consider flaws if you don't have any negative thoughts towards them? You gotta dislike something to consider them a flaw, hence negativity.
As an artist, I can definitely say that criticism doesn't have to be negative. It can be hard to find a way to express it without it sounding that way, but if you do it right, criticism in nature is meant to be helpful, not hurtful. Like if I were to go and make a suggestion on someone's finished art piece, I'm not being negative, I am trying to offer a positive solution that I think would enhance the piece- such as correcting anatomy on a figure (and oh gawd could some Pokemon models use that).

"I think the games would be better if 'x'." doesn't have to be negative at all.

Ooff. Semantics argument. These are always fun. Criticism can be positive or negative. A criticism could be a "compliment"; telling someone how they did something well. Critiques aren't suppose to list only the faults. They are also suppose to explain what was done well too. Thus, critism can be negative or positive. And it's not really about whether the critique is fueled by emotion, but how it's interpreted by the reader. Going on somewhere and seeing nothing, but "disapproval" comments and all the "approval" comments being drowned out; it creates a sense of negativity for some people especially when the reader does not agree with the critique being made.
Yes, but I really dislike how Knight is continuously bringing up the worst of the worst forms of criticism ousted by 'fans' while ignoring reasonable points. It sounds like he's rife for his own personal safe-space.

I don't like it if people play the victim-card.

I'd call positive Criticism constructive criticism. usually it provides options or solutions with the criticism and not just criticism.

Yes, but I really dislike how Knight is continuously bringing up the worst of the worst forms of criticism ousted by 'fans' while ignoring reasonable points. It sounds like he's rife for his own personal safe-space.

One of those criticisms literally come from people even in here. Even Oriden states the makes them worry about the series direction. Their own form of negative opinion. I don't know why you act like all forms of criticism is good criticism and shouldn't be look at or considered negatively in any regard.

Okay; but for the record, I think that most people are really bad at separating their emotions from criticism. It's true that criticsm should be as devoid from emotion as possible, but it doesn't always happen that way.

If you've ever read a video game review, most of those are written with pros and cons in mind. With book reviews this is often the case too.

I don't know how I'd get by with reviews that only included pros.

Okay; but for the record, I think that most people are really bad at separating their emotions from criticism. It's true that criticsm should be as devoid from emotion as possible, but it doesn't always happen that way.
Exactly. It's hard to not include any emotion in any thought you have, even unintentionally.

One of those criticisms literally come from people even in here. Even Oriden states the makes them worry about the series direction. Their own form of negative opinion. I don't know why you act like all forms of criticism is good criticism and shouldn't be look at or considered negatively in any regard.
My being worried about the direction of the series isn't criticism, though? That's just my personal feelings. I would never offer that up as criticism, because it isn't constructive in any way.

I think they’re not saying that all form of criticism is good. I think they’re saying that not all form of criticism is bad or negative.

You criticize individual people quite harshly all the time Wolf. Having acknowledged that this is negative and that you dislike all negativity, why haven't you stopped this?

I think they’re not saying that all form of criticism is good. I think they’re saying that not all form of criticism is bad or negative.
How's one to determine what's what?

You criticize individual people quite harshly all the time Wolf. Having acknowledged that this is negative and that you dislike all negativity, why haven't you stopped this?
Cause it doesn't matter if I stop. It'll keep going as long as people have individual thoughts to share. I can't stop myself or others from having opinions in general. But that doesn't mean i have to like, agree, or put up with other's

Last edited:
Yeah, definitely not all criticism is good, but it isn't inherently negative either. A lot of people just aren't good at giving it.

How's one to determine what's what?
Bad criticism generally is just blatant rudeness and doesn't offer any suggestions to improve.
Good criticism isn't rude and offers up ideas for improvement.

I'm tired of this topic. Now, let's get back to predicting when the next news will drop, which is exactly what this thread was created for.
Sorry Riley, I would've steered it back on-topic a bit ago if we had any upcoming news date that looked promising. =/ Hard to steer the conversation back on-track when the topic is just going to be "Well we have these dates, but they're all probably going to be bust."

I think the most-likely is probably going to be around the 20th since Switch Lite releases, but at this point we might as well just say that we're probably back on a first week/third week drop schedule like we had for Gen 7.

It's called feedback? And any good business should take it into consideration?
feedback works when you're experimenting or trying new things out. it's for when Tim the Intern comes up with the idea to cut Pokemon from the game-- "our fans love having a smaller selection"! Game Freak made this decision out of, from their perspective, necessity. their practice of including every Pokemon was, in their eyes, not a sustainable model.

additionally, taking it into consideration doesn't mean reversing a stance or agreeing with the stance you want them to have. it seems abundantly clear that Game Freak has heard the feedback; their response is just no.
It's not a fantasy to say that protests have ever worked, and the people protesting Dexit are basically doing the same thing as picketers- they're waving their BringBackNationalDex hashtags like picket signs. And like any other protest, I support the people who go and just wave their signs without attacking anyone else. Peaceful protesting. It's fine and it has a history of getting results- maybe not 100% of the time, but with certainly better odds than just giving up and staying quiet.
protests from a business standpoint aren't effective all that often and only really result in change when the company's bottom line is at stake (significantly) or if the company likes to play up an image of social responsibility. sure a one percent chance of change is outright better odds than zero percent, but if i were a gambling man i still wouldn't bet on change happening, especially in the specific context of this 'protest,' which is comprised of too mixed of a basket to even really be sustainable.

Back
Top Bottom