• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Potential News Dates (Comments May Contain Spoilers!)

I genuinely hope Camping and the 2 new pokemon aren't all we're getting. Seriously 2 months till release and there's still so much I think we should know or spread more light on.

feedback works when you're experimenting or trying new things out. it's for when Tim the Intern comes up with the idea to cut Pokemon from the game-- "our fans love having a smaller selection"! Game Freak made this decision out of, from their perspective, necessity. their practice of including every Pokemon was, in their eyes, not a sustainable model.

additionally, taking it into consideration doesn't mean reversing a stance or agreeing with the stance you want them to have. it seems abundantly clear that Game Freak has heard the feedback; their response is just no.

protests from a business standpoint aren't effective all that often and only really result in change when the company's bottom line is at stake (significantly) or if the company likes to play up an image of social responsibility. sure a one percent chance of change is outright better odds than zero percent, but if i were a gambling man i still wouldn't bet on change happening, especially in the specific context of this 'protest,' which is comprised of too mixed of a basket to even really be sustainable.
Actually their response hasn't really been a no, it's been more of a redirection. They have never outright said no. In fact, when asked if they would consider adding the pokemon in via patches, their response was that no decision had been made at that time.

The protest has a chance of making them reconsider their options- if nothing else, it's definitely encouraging them to- but we will not see the effect of that immediately because considering options takes time. It may not affect Gen 8 at all, but that feedback will go forward and may shape how they handle Gen 9.

Remember that pokemon games aren't individual standalone bubbles. Feedback for one game can be applied to the next.

I'm at a loss here. Again; negativity is an emotion, good criticism is devoid of emotions, as it makes things blurry and less objective.

I would argue that there's no such thing as an objective criticism, and that emotions can be very valuable when it comes to making a critique. Art, after all, is about making you feel something; try though you might, nothing can truly decouple the fact that your thoughts and opinions about something are intrinsically informed by how you felt while experiencing it. Even the desire to avoid emotional influence is itself a desire, that arises because you feel a certain way about how criticism should be conducted. But I think people who are being negatively and/or harmfully affected by something should most certainly let their emotions be known. That's the only way we'd ever acknowledge and address macroscopic systems that contain blind spots around their effects on people. Trying to tell people to tone down their emotions when they've been grievously affected by malpractice or a lapse in the system, and to stick to nice, cold rational facts instead is a stipulation that just bottlenecks those affected from fully conveying the severity of the harm. At its worst extreme, it is a technique deployed to insulate those responsible from having to acknowledge their own complicity in a harmful structure. In the case of Dexit, a big part of the issue is that people have formed thorough emotional bonds with the Pokémon they obtained in older games, and would like to bring them into Sword and Shield. That is a fundamental part of the contention.

I think the problem with criticism more often than not has less to do with emotion, and a lot more to do with what @Oriden said - that many people simply lack the technical proficiency at phrasing or delivering their criticism in an effective way.

I would argue that there's no such thing as an objective criticism, and that emotions can be very valuable when it comes to making a critique. Art, after all, is about making you feel something; try though you might, nothing can truly decouple the fact that your thoughts and opinions about something are intrinsically informed by how you felt while experiencing it. Even the desire to avoid emotional influence is itself a desire, that arises because you feel a certain way about how criticism should be conducted. But I think people who are being negatively and/or harmfully affected by something should most certainly let their emotions be known. That's the only way we'd ever acknowledge and address macroscopic systems that contain blind spots around their effects on people. Trying to tell people to tone down their emotions when they've been grievously affected by malpractice or a lapse in the system, and to stick to nice, cold rational facts instead is a stipulation that just bottlenecks those affected from fully conveying the severity of the harm. At its worst extreme, it is a technique deployed to insulate those responsible from having to acknowledge their own complicity in a harmful structure. In the case of Dexit, a big part of the issue is that people have formed thorough emotional bonds with the Pokémon they obtained in older games, and would like to bring them into Sword and Shield. That is a fundamental part of the contention.

I think the problem with criticism more often than not has less to do with emotion, and a lot more to do with what @Oriden said - that many people simply lack the technical proficiency at phrasing or delivering their criticism in an effective way.
Well thought-out post, I can't do anything but agree with your statement.

Opps looks like I made this a thing. Sorry folks, I fell asleep after writing my post so there was no way I could react to the conversation. I think it's best to move on for now.

I'm honestly expecting more news this month. We're two months out from the games release there has to be something more they can talk about without giving to much away.

I'm honestly expecting more news this month. We're two months out from the games release there has to be something more they can talk about without giving to much away.
Yeah, we're at a point where I feel like we're likely to get two trailers a month. It's hype-building time! I can't imagine that they'll go the last two months with only one trailer each.

If there's anything actually new in CoroCoro this month, it'd be the first time this year. Lol I fully expect them to cover... Galarian Weezing. I had to think of something that's two months old.

I think it bears noting that for this prerelease cycle, this cover has the most area devoted to SwSh. I’m hoping that means we’ll get at least something small that we don’t already know.

Also, why are there small grey patches? We already know the stats for the starters, and I’m reasonably sure it’s been covered in previous Corocoro issues. Plus that Max Raid Battle artwork was shown back in June

It's not really working.
people forget the game exist until they release new trailer.. with sun and moon the hype was everywhere.

we are 2 months from the release now, they need to start shoving the game into everyone's faces

Back
Top Bottom