• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Potential News Dates (Comments May Contain Spoilers!)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcLScW_4RpU

...so Ash's new friend is named Gou? I... detect a pun here.

Edit: Oh you know what, I think I know why they decided to take this approach with the series instead of just sending Ash to Galar right off the bat- it might be part of their leak crackdown. They probably didn't want to send the animation team anything so early so the anime had to come up with this GO-based series instead with only one of the Galar starters to work with.

Last edited:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcLScW_4RpU

...so Ash's new friend is named Gou? I... detect a pun here.

Edit: Oh you know what, I think I know why they decided to take this approach with the series instead of just sending Ash to Galar right off the bat- it might be part of their leak crackdown. They probably didn't want to send the animation team anything so early so the anime had to come up with this GO-based series instead with only one of the Galar starters to work with.

Could be but They will have to come up with something else later for gen 9 if that was the reason.

I started to wonder what the choice of having Scorbunny be Gou's 'Pikachu' meant... Like, does that mean it's got the weakest final evo design and therefore is the best one to forever keep at its base stage?

But then I remembered that Rowlet never evolved, right? And Decidueye is very popular. Plus, Scorbunny is the obvious 'energetic shounen lead character' personality that works for anime.

So in conclusion, I guess we can't read anything into what they showed for the anime today. And the next info about it is after the Glimwood Tangle stream.

Although unlikely, I would not rule out the possibility of them releasing a trailer before the stream.

I started to wonder what the choice of having Scorbunny be Gou's 'Pikachu' meant... Like, does that mean it's got the weakest final evo design and therefore is the best one to forever keep at its base stage?

I kind of felt that Scorbunny being Go's partner gives it a small chance of becoming part electric type to mirror pikachu more closely. I'm pretty sure that, unlike Pikachu, Scorbunny will evolve.

But then I remembered that Rowlet never evolved, right? And Decidueye is very popular. Plus, Scorbunny is the obvious 'energetic shounen lead character' personality that works for anime.
Probably because Rowlet was also very popular and was easier to draw so they could have it out on screen more often. You'll notice that as Popplio got bigger it started to be swapped out for Eevee as Lana's out-of-ball companion.

Speaking of which, though, a lot of Ash's companions have evolved their starters- I think the only really notable one who didn't was Dawn? So yeah, I think Scorbunny being Gou's main doesn't indicate much.

Speaking of which, though, a lot of Ash's companions have evolved their starters- I think the only really notable one who didn't was Dawn? So yeah, I think Scorbunny being Gou's main doesn't indicate much.
Gou is different from any of Ash's past companions. He's being marketed as a main character equal to Ash, and not a supporting character. To me, it makes Scorbunny on Pikachu's level, which is a new thing.

Gou is different from any of Ash's past companions. He's being marketed as a main character equal to Ash, and not a supporting character. To me, it makes Scorbunny on Pikachu's level, which is a new thing.
I don't know where you get that from, honestly. We've just been introduced to him, so I don't see there being any indication yet that he's going to be equal to Ash.

I don't know where you get that from, honestly. We've just been introduced to him, so I don't see there being any indication yet that he's going to be equal to Ash.
I recall the Japanese video introducing the series going "two main characters!!!" (In Japanese of course, and I'm paraphrasing) like it was a big reveal, and then showing Satoshi followed by Gou. I'll have to rewatch to remember exactly.

Edit: yes, it specifically states that there are two main characters / double protagonists in the reveal, in a way that implies it is a new concept and that Gou is equal to Ash in terms of importance in the series.

Last edited:

Rowlet's the most popular out of all the Alolan starters & evos combined while Decidueye is the least popular in terms of final stages. It's why they kept Rowlet as is and had Lana's Popplio fully evolve.

As for Go & Scorbunny, I'm leaning towards Scorbunny not evolving similar to Pikachu, especially if they intend on keeping him around for longer than just this new series. Would be easier to "nerf" him in future sagas, and they'd have his goal as an excuse to keep him.

Back
Top Bottom