• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Potential News Dates (Comments May Contain Spoilers!)

I think the marketing has been quite weak this time, to be honest.

As I said, I’m generally fine with marketing cycle that opts to not spoil a lot of the game.

The situation is complex for the Pokémon reveals since they’re quite peculiar, and showing little of them can also lead to pessimistic conclusion, as well as people being indecisive of the version to pick. The way the Sirfetch’d reveal and the stream were handled also aren’t perfect, although for the latter it certainly generated buzz.

If it’s an intentional decision so that players can discover most of the game, including Pokémon, gym leaders an other features, by themselves, I don’t mind it, although it still remains weird in how certain phases are handled. If it’s just an overreaction or what happened with Gen 7 (and GF isn’t the only
Company that overreact to criticism), it’s something that they still need to work on, I guess.

Obviously nobody is infallible or impervious to miscalculation, but at the same time, I'm sure that GF/TPC have access to far more useful data and information than we do when it comes to making marketing decisions, and it's not as if they're amateurs.

I feel the Psychic typing on Galarian Ponyta was added only as subversion, a "You thought it was Fairy type?! SIKE! GOTTEM!" kinda thing, because it's not as fitting design-wise as the Fairy type.

Fairy:
730Primarina.png
038Ninetales-Alola.png
684Swirlix.png
Psychic:
606Beheeyem.png
308Medicham.png
678Meowstic-Female.png
Also Psychic:

I wonder if Galarian Rapidash will be Psychic/Fairy with Levitate...

Psychic types also include Mew, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Chimecho, Cresselia, Musharna, Victini, Swoobat, Alolan Raichu, and Latias, and Jirachi.

So basically a Pokemon can be very cute, pink or pastel, have a reputation for being good, have a connection with nature or granting wishes etc., and still end up only Psychic type.

Psychic types also include Mew, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Chimecho, Cresselia, Musharna, Victini, Swoobat, Alolan Raichu, and Latias, and Jirachi.

So basically a Pokemon can be very cute, pink or pastel, have a reputation for being good, have a connection with nature or granting wishes etc., and still end up only Psychic type.

Bu those aren't super girly-cutesy-sugary-sweet like Galarian Ponyta, Slyveon, Swirlix, and many other Fairy types. Sure Latias and Chimecho are cute, but they lack that sugary, girly cuteness that many Fairy types (and Galarian Ponyta) have. Plus, most of them were created before the invention of the Fairy type so I can kinda of excuse their cute appearance. If Cresselia or Mesprit were created now, for example, they'd probably be Fairy types.

Mew is cuter than all of those, and pink. It's also the first mythical and makes a great example of a Psychic type Pokemon. So...

Mew is cute, but it lacks the sugary sweetness of many Fairy types and Galarian Ponyta. It looks like something from a Lisa Frank book cover. Mew does not.

Mew is cute, but it lacks the sugary sweetness of many Fairy types and Galarian Ponyta. It looks like something from a Lisa Frank book cover. Mew does not.

Well it's sugary sweet to me. It's been my favorite Pokemon since the beginning. And it's supposed to be very cute, and it is.

I'm sorry Mew is not up to your standards of "Fairy type" cuteness to you, but it is to me. Unless you're saying being sugary sweet is bad, in which case I disagree. Fairy type Pokemon have good designs.

I'm sorry Mew is not up to your standards of "Fairy type" cuteness to you, but it is to me. Unless you're saying being sugary sweet is bad, in which case I disagree. Fairy type Pokemon have good designs.

I'm not certain where you got the impression that Mew isn't living up to my standards or that I dislike cute things, and I don't think that, but I'm sorry if I gave off that impression. All I am saying is that there's different types of cuteness in my opinion, and that Fairy types tend to be more girly and sugary cute rather than the general cuteness of Mew and other cute Psychic types. It's like puppy cute vs MLP cute. It's not the case of one being better than the other.

Last edited:
If Cresselia or Mesprit were created now, for example, they'd probably be Fairy types.
To be fair, they had the opportunity to retcon them in gen 6 and they didn’t. Even as legends I don’t think anyone would have batted an eye if they changed or added Fairy to those.

Imo the line between Fairy and Psychic is rather arbitrary. I dont disagree that G-Ponyta would fit Fairy very well, but I wouldn’t go as far as to say that Psychic doesn’t work for it at all.

I find it another extension of GameFreak's overcompensating. Last marketing season revealed too much? Reveal too less this time!

Remember when children got lost in Sinnoh, every other game became linear and easy? (Note: easiness depends on personal tastes, and varies. I added it in for the sake of argument since “The games are too easy!” has been said way too many times)

This marketing strategy could have worked for any game other than SwSh, but information scarcity in the same reveal cycle as Dexit? I wouldn’t call it a wise decision, at all. They need better execution of ideas like the forest. I kinda wish one of the two Ponyta began evolving on-screen, the stream cuts, and we get the continuation in a trailer with the official reveal of Galarian Ponyta, Rapidash, Impidimp and some new Pokemon.
It's a double edged sword.
Revealing a lot to drown out concerns will just be tap dancing around an issue until they end up hitting a wall.
I guarantee you that if this was a
announced during Sun and Moon's cycle a lot of it's more confrontational inclusions like Ultra beasts and the removal of gyms would have been a lot more pulverizing while being compounded by the fact that this happened on the 20th anniversary.

They fit just as well as Nintales and Sandslash did last gen.
my guess is that it's a brains and its a brains and brawns kind of thing
Sandshrew and Vulpix were always version exclusives since the beginning though. So it would make sense that they'd also still be exclusives.

I mean one could argue that the Farfetch'd girl is the Fan Club President's unspoken rival and everything ties back to Vermilion. But that's really the only thing I can think of that has both Pokemon in the same spot. Maybe the Farfetch'd girl is the unspoken vice president?

Victini says hi. It's an apple bunny victory gremlin. Is it a Lisa Frank rainbow creature? No. But neither is Wimsicott, Mimikyu, or Impidimp.

Sandshrew and Vulpix were always version exclusives since the beginning though. So it would make sense that they'd also still be exclusives.
No. Sandshrew's opposite was Ekans, while Vulpix had Growlithe. Both Vulpix and Sandshrew were only available in Blue and LeafGreen.

My guess is that Farfetch'd/G-Ponyta & Sirfetch'd/G-Rapidash aren't counterparts of each other. It'd be unbalanced in terms of evolutionary stage content-wise.

Sonia's message on the website suggests there's more Pokemon in Glimwood Tangle that we haven't seen, so they probably decided to keep their counterparts a secret.

I mean one could argue that the Farfetch'd girl is the Fan Club President's unspoken rival and everything ties back to Vermilion. But that's really the only thing I can think of that has both Pokemon in the same spot. Maybe the Farfetch'd girl is the unspoken vice president?

Victini says hi. It's an apple bunny victory gremlin. Is it a Lisa Frank rainbow creature? No. But neither is Wimsicott, Mimikyu, or Impidimp.
While true they were never really parallels.
Ninetales and Arcanine counterparts of each other and I guess Sandshrew was supposed to be that to Ekans.

While true they were never really parallels.
Ninetales and Arcanine counterparts of each other and I guess Sandshrew was supposed to be that to Ekans.
You're right. Both Sandshrew and Ekans share the same areas in the game, just like Growlithe and Vulpix. I also forgot to mention that they even carried that into GSC and HGSS, too.

Back
Top Bottom