• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Potential News Dates (Comments May Contain Spoilers!)

The live stream ended, so there won't be any more bits of info coming that way.
The youtuber/contributor’s overall impression, other then positive, is that it was the best first 90 minutes of a Pokèmon game, in his opinion. Which he clarifies that it's not necessarily indicative of the full game (as well as mentioning that in his opinion the first 90 minutes of Pokèmon games aren't generally that great, and I'd tend to agree), and a lot has to do with the story bits and teases, as well as the lack of handholding and tutorials (a thing I forgot to say, there's no Pokèmon school in the first part of the games).

Last edited:
Not sure. Another article mention that 6 of 7 Pokèmon that they found in the early route are new.

So we might not be sure on the total numbers, but there should be at least 6 new ones.

iirc one of the previews mention that they aren't allowed to disclose old returning pokemon they saw either, so "new pokemon" might include those too, its hard to tell

Last edited:
iirc one of the previews mention that they aren't allowed to disclose old returning pokemon they say either, so "new pokemon" might include those too, its hard to tell
The Everyeye article explicitely states that in the first 75-80 minutes of the game (which the person spent on the first routes and not the Wild Area, according to the live stream), where only filled with new Pokèmon, so I'd say there should be quite a good number of new species, around 6. And this person also clarified that he coudn't reveal old Pokèmon not yet confirmed, so I think we should be reasonably optimistic about it.

I also don't care if they give charizard more forms, as long as they look good.
I just want Blastoise and Venusaur to get equal treatment to Charizard.
Also seeing Hop's dialogue convinces he'll be the good type of friendly rival. Not a jerk to you but does have that competitiveness to him
So, more like Barry? That sounds pretty good to me.
I wonder how EV traning is gonna work
That’s actually what I’m most worried about in regards to the perma-EXP. Share feature.

To clarify on the kind of Pokèmon in the first routes, here's the extract from the Everyeye preview:

Nei primi due percorsi di Galar, molto vicini fra loro, abbiamo per contro un numero superiore di creature disponibili: ci si sente fin da subito ambientati in un'avventura inedita, feeling sottolineato dall'assenza, ci tengo a precisarlo, di Pokémon di generazioni passate per oltre ottanta minuti. Ancora, qualcuno ha detto Pokémon Bianco e Nero?

That can be translated in:

In the first two routes of Galar, quite close to each other, we instead have a greater number of available creatures: we immediately feel inside a new adventure, a feeling underlined by the absence, to clarify, of Pokèmon from old gen for over 80 minutes. Again, someone said Pokèmon Black and White?

He later clarified in the stream that he spent 75 minutes in the first routes and story bits and 15 in the Wild Areas, but the reasoning stand still.

There are no tutorials in the game.

May need to define "tutorials" here, because that's not exactly the sense that IGN gave:
"Pokemon Sword and Shield maintains the ethos and identity it has had for years: treating the player like it’s the first time they’ve ever played a Pokemon game, which may be much to the dismay of many longtime fans. Even though GameFreak still makes you click through those tutorial dialogue boxes, I was pleasantly surprised that I could begin my Pokemon collection before I was instructed to do so. Shortly after getting your first Pokemon, you’re free to head into town and walk through the tall grass all you want. There were already five Pokeballs in my bag (thanks mom!) so I went ahead and caught a Pokemon unprompted. A few moments later Hop explains how catching Pokemon worked, but I already had one (you’re falling behind Hop!). This isn’t the tutorial-free experience some fans have been asking for but it was nice to be given a bit more freedom without eliminating the onboarding process."

May need to define "tutorials" here, because that's not exactly the sense that IGN gave:
I did read in another preview that there was a character ‘congratulating’ you after your first catch, didn’t know it was Hop. It’s still better then having someone showing you how to catch it beforehand.

The article isn’t clear if he simply says how you catch Pokémon, or if he’d actually catch one.

As for the lack of tutorial, there’s no Pokémon school like in SM that you have to go through, and the game doesn’t waste you time as it did in that game early on.

I was reading the Italian article translated through Google, and this part
Nei primi due percorsi di Galar, molto vicini fra loro, abbiamo per contro un numero superiore di creature disponibili: ci si sente fin da subito ambientati in un'avventura inedita, feeling sottolineato dall'assenza, ci tengo a precisarlo, di Pokémon di generazioni passate per oltre ottanta minuti. Ancora, qualcuno ha detto Pokémon Bianco e Nero?

Was translated to this:
With pleasure, I can tell you that I found myself lost to Pokémon Sword and Shield: the developers of Game Freak wanted to mix the cards on the table , presenting a really different introduction than in the past, which has the aftertaste of those Pokémon Black and White , come out for Nintendo DS, which tried to do the same 9 years ago, perhaps at a time not too congenial for the brand.

Instead of this:
In the first two routes of Galar, quite close to each other, we instead have a greater number of available creatures: we immediately feel inside a new adventure, a feeling underlined by the absence, to clarify, of Pokèmon from old gen for over 80 minutes. Again, someone said Pokèmon Black and White?

So, thank you @TheElderKing for translating that segment because I could not understand the Google translated version.
-----------------------------------------------------------
It's nice to hear that new Pokemon will be given the spotlight, at least in the early game, in contrast to gens 6 and 7 where the new Pokemon felt almost like they were pushed to the side.

It's not a big deal but I thought it was interesting....in this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxsdBOHLiso

The guy says that there's a new building in the large brick city called the "Budew Inn" and it's where trainers who are participating in the league challenge can stay. I guess that's the room we've seen with the Budew.

Makes me wonder if we're getting a Galarian Roselia or if I'm overthinking it.

I was reading the Italian article translated through Google, and this part

Was translated to this:

Instead of this:

So, thank you @TheElderKing for translating that segment because I could not understand the Google translated version.
-----------------------------------------------------------
It's nice to hear that new Pokemon will be given the spotlight, at least in the early game, in contrast to gens 6 and 7 where the new Pokemon felt almost like they were pushed to the side.
You’re welcome! Unfortunately, google translator isn’t good at translating in Italian.
It's not a big deal but I thought it was interesting....in this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxsdBOHLiso

The guy says that there's a new building in the large brick city called the "Budew Inn" and it's where trainers who are participating in the league challenge can stay. I guess that's the room we've seen with the Budew.

Hm, that seems to be something exclusive and different then the rest of the previews, as they didn’t have access to the coop aspect of the game in the wild areas.

That's were we saw team Yell, so they are doing their best to annoy us, that's nice

Last edited:
Rotom doesn't talk.

Cutscenes can be skipped.

The catching tutorial can be kind of skipped.

The full time box doesn't heal your Pokémon.

There is the new "yellow aura system" in which Pokémon with good IVs and egg moves appear.

The move reminder, move deleter and name rater have all been merged into one, and will now be in all Pokémon Center.

There is the watts in the Wild Area where the player will even be able to purchase many TMs with. :bulbaLove:

ezgif-1-3a4626a3523c.gif

Seriously, though. They're all great additions/continuations.

What I didn't like though:

Despite being an open area, the Wild Area will not be fully explorable from the start of the game.

As expected, the exp share-function can't be turned off.

I do suspect of the TPC rep probably overestimating the size of the Wild Area.

considering what fans like to call cutscenes and tutorials in the game...... even a definition or clarification may not be useful

I don't follow this logic. There seems to be a consensus in the fandom on what constitutes a cutscene and a tutorial. Whether or not the cutscenes and tutorials are excessive is another story, but it's not like people have differing ideas on what is and is not a cutscene and tutorial.

I don't follow this logic. There seems to be a consensus in the fandom on what constitutes a cutscene and a tutorial. Whether or not the cutscenes and tutorials are excessive is another story, but it's not like people have differing ideas on what is and is not a cutscene and tutorial.
you must've not been around during SM and USUM when everyone was bemoaning how riddled they were with tutorials, despite the fact that there's like an entire three? tutorials?

fans like to over-generously call things a tutorial and a cutscene

Despite being an open area, the Wild Area will not be fully explorable from the start of the game.

That was to be expected though. Especially because it connects diffrent cities. And especially due to the fact that GF put a lot of emphasis on keeping things linear enough that people don't just f-off and forget about the main objective of the game. You're probably forced to go around or take trains to get to where you need to go instead.

Which isn't all of a bad thing since a lot of people are starting to hate open world due to the over saturation in recent years.

This! THIS! This is actually one thing I really hoped they would fix this gen, and they did. I absolutely hated how in SM Kukui says Alola is "full of rare Pokemon", and then you go o the early routes and there are hardly any new Pokemon at all. I was hoping this would be corrected so badly and it is and I could not be more happy!
If you think about it; Alola was more pathetic than Kalos. Almost 1/3 of the new Alolan designs were 'special' (Legendary, Mythical or Ultra Beast). Kalos didn't suffer from this and had only 6 Legendaries/Mythicals.

And, as you mentioned, a lot of the Alolan designs were very spread-out. So, it kind of felt like a tropical Kanto-game in some ways.

Back
Top Bottom