• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Potential News Dates (Comments May Contain Spoilers!)

So you only need one of the four people to successfully catch it ?
Yep, it appears it’ll be like that.

I mean, given that we’d get hidden abilities Pokémon and Gigantamax Pokémon in raid battles, and they should be rare, it’d suck to defeat the Raid Pokémon and be the only one to not catch it and lose it in your party, so it makes sense to me.

Yep, it appears it’ll be like that.

I mean, given that we’d get hidden abilities Pokémon and Gigantamax Pokémon in raid battles, and they should be rare, it’d suck to defeat the Raid Pokémon and be the only one to not catch it and lose it in your party, so it makes sense to me.
The one thing I don't like is that more than likely the pokeball that catches is the one you'll get in turn, meaning regular pokeball only guys like me no has to deal with that. But it's a minor gripe.

Gameplay =/= lore.

Starters could easily be rare and be encountered in the wild. Their entries don't suggest anything about them being bred in captivity.
Wasn't like the original lore like Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander rare because they're from another region? I can't remember where I heard that. It may have just been in one of the many unofficial guide books from the 90s.

But even so, if Charmander is native to Galar, it would make sense it's catchable in the wild. I mean Pikachu is technically a starter and it's been in every single game and you can even catch it in games where it is the starter (minus Yellow, but you can still trade one over).

Home is technically an in-game purchase. But I also think that's just generic jargon that's cut and pasted for everything.

Oh good I am glad that all 4 players get the pokemon if it is caught. I may actually participate in that then.

I wonder if they are going to explain why everyone gets that Pokémon if only one person caught it. That's the only question I have right now.

I’d imagine either ignoring it completely (game mechanics) or treating it like separate “bubble” dimensions. Basically, in your own game, you’d be the only one who got it, as far as the story goes.

I wonder if they are going to explain why everyone gets that Pokémon if only one person caught it. That's the only question I have right now.
I mean, it’s not like the situation is that much better if every player is required to catch it. It’s still a single Pokémon caught by one to four trainers in that scenario.

Yes; I think with Gen 8, everyone creating these games and with a mind to the future Gens as well, had to figure out whether to move Pokemon towards being a more realistic adventure game (eg Breath of the Wild) or appreciate the potential of keeping it as a somewhat retro RPG!

There was a time that it becoming more realistic seemed almost guaranteed ( to the point of a real time battle system feeling like a possible change.) I am glad they chose this way to make it!!

I'm sure they're in, and probably have their own G-Maxes. Even I don't think they praise Charizard praise that highly that the other two get squat. That'd be mega unfair.

Yeah, right now I’m inclined to think that they revealed only Charizard because of its status as “popular” Pokémon, alongside the other popular ones (Pikachu, Eevee and Meowth). Butterfree was most likely added as a surprise element.

So, if I had to theorize what other Kanto Pokémon get Gigas, I’d go with Venusaur, Blastoise, Machamp, Gengar, Lapras and Mewtwo. I wouldn’t want any more than that, as I’d like for some non-Kanto Pokémon to get some spotlight, too.

Interesting you mention mega unfair...
Yeah I realized what I said shortly after

Yeah, right now I’m inclined to think that they revealed only Charizard because of its status as “popular” Pokémon, alongside the other popular ones (Pikachu, Eevee and Meowth). Butterfree was most likely added as a surprise element.

So, if I had to theorize what other Kanto Pokémon get Gigas, I’d go with Venusaur, Blastoise, Machamp, Gengar, Lapras and Mewtwo. I wouldn’t want any more than that, as I’d like for some non-Kanto Pokémon to get some spotlight, too.
Don't forget potentially Tyranitar and Kommo-o. I still think it'a weird for regular Jangmo-o and Larvitar to be bonuses without anything special about em, plus you do catch them in Raid Battles so...

I'm sure they're in, and probably have their own G-Maxes. Even I don't think they praise Charizard praise that highly that the other two get squat. That'd be mega unfair.
Especially considering that when they give special forms to starters they give them to the whole set, with Ash Greninja being the sole exception. They gave Megas to all Gen 1 and 3 starters and signature Z-Moves to all the Gen 7 starters.

Especially considering that when they give special forms to starters they give them to the whole set, with Ash Greninja being the sole exception. They gave Megas to all Gen 1 and 3 starters and signature Z-Moves to all the Gen 7 starters.
You forget that was in a time where the presence of one starter meant the presence of others too (Even then Blaziken got one earlier than others). But here there's a chance that the other two starters might not even be in the game. Although if they do not get any new giga forms and dynamaxing does carry over to eventual Sinnoh remakes, I can see them getting it.

Back
Top Bottom