• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Potential News Dates (Comments May Contain Spoilers!)

You don't have to have to raise every pokemon from their base stage to grow a bond with them. Just having them around is enough to start one. Travel all over with em, fight with em, that's just as good as a humble beginning.
That’s subjective. I vastly prefer having a base stage Pokemon or a Pokemon I can snag as early as possible to travel around. And the later (and evolved) you capture a Pokemon, the less time you spend bonding with them.

In fact, in literally all my playthroughs I’ve never captured a final stage. We’ve evidence that GameFreak follows the same ideology: with simplifying things so our story Pokemon can be competitive: so why take two steps back with the main feature of the games and completely contradict themselves?

I don't know if I missed something or what. But where was this "only raid Pokemon can use Gigantamax" thing stated?

Is everybody just jumping to conclusions again after the full B-roll footage came out? If it's that, then the datamine or the 14th, whichever comes first really needs to hurry up because people are starting to go crazy due to the lack of information.

All I have to say to an NPC in the Pokémon Centers who will relearn moves at no cost...

Yes, yes, YES!!! One of the worst things about the Gen VII games was that you could not relearn any moves until the Pokémon League. (I'm looking at you, Alolan Marowak & Shadow Bone)

I don't know if I missed something or what. But where was this "only raid Pokemon can use Gigantamax" thing stated?
Gigantamaxing changes a Pokémon’s size and appearance! | Official Website | Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield
Only certain species of Pokémon can Gigantamax—and even among such species, only rare specimens will be able to Gigantamax.
You can catch Gigantamax Pokémon for your team by participating in Max Raid Battles, but it seems they’re very rare—finding one won’t be easy!
Gift Pokemon are another known method, because we know about the distributions, but it's definitely confirmed that regular Pokemon you find in the wild can't Gigantamax.

Guys, about the Gigantamax discussions, I personally don't even care if my Pokémon won't be able to Gigantamax even if it has a Gigantamax form. It's such an odd mechanic which lasts shortly and which general impact seems meh, that I personally couldn't care less about it.

So, my question to you; is it really important for you guys to have the Gigantamax form in the team instead of the regular one?

About the whole Gigantamax thing, I agree that it is very disappointing if Pokémon you have raised yourself won’t be able attain giga forms (although there is hope that there is a separate mechanic to change that - somewhere along the lines of move relearners and hyper training?). But I’m not at all sure that you have to catch giga capable Pokémon in their last stages. In fact, I would be kinda surprised if your starter doesn’t get a giga in its last stage like the Alolan starters’ exclusive Z-moves.

Then again, Gen VI, I suppose...

To be clear, I meant that I do that in my first run, not in all of my playthrough, although I do enjoy the growing/evolution aspect a lot.
Guys, about the Gigantamax discussions, I personally don't even care if my Pokémon won't be able to Gigantamax even if it has a Gigantamax form. It's such an odd mechanic which lasts shortly and which general impact seems meh, that I personally couldn't care less about it.

So, my question to you; is it really important for you guys to have the Gigantamax form in the team instead of the regular one?
I guess it depends on the Gigantamax appearance.

I’m not going to take it in my story team anyway, but if I’d have, I’d pick Gigantamax Charizard over the regular one because I like the appearance.

That’s subjective. I vastly prefer having a base stage Pokemon or a Pokemon I can snag as early as possible to travel around. And the later (and evolved) you capture a Pokemon, the less time you spend bonding with them.

In fact, in literally all my playthroughs I’ve never captured a final stage. We’ve evidence that GameFreak follows the same ideology: with simplifying things so our story Pokemon can be competitive: so why take two steps back with the main feature of the games and completely contradict themselves?
I suppose that is subjective, like everything else about this freakin game apparently.

I suppose that is subjective, like everything else about this freakin game apparently.
How could one even dream of making this an objective thing? You sound a bit too annoyed over that. It’s just playing styles and the contradiction in the type of play style GameFreak wants to encourage and people are just pointing it out..

Well, if I were to play, I would much rather use G-Alcremie or G-Butterfree over their regular Dynamax versions. Gigantamax forms are designed to look good while huge, so if you're going to use the mechanic at all, it's more fun to me to use the more interesting forms over the plain "my pokemon but just bigger" version. Especially when smaller pokemon like Alcremie kinda just look like a stupid parade balloon without their Gigantamax form.

I suppose on the topic of having to catch them in their final forms, too- I really have to point out that having to hunt for them and catch them in raids isn't remotely the issue? We've known that was the case for awhile and no one really voiced any issue with it? That part is fine. But seemingly not being able to find it in its base form capable of Gigantamaxing is moreso the irking point. A lot of us feel more bonded to a pokemon that we were able to raise and evolve ourselves, not the fully evolved snowflake that we hunted down.

Heck, personally- I don't feel attached to any pokemon that I can't evolve period. Legendaries? Nah. Single stagers like Smeargle? Meh. For whatever reason, it just doesn't feel as fun when you can't raise them to their next stage. So catching them fully evolved is definitely not an ideal- that isn't my baby that I raised to be a badass, it's just some brute I picked up all ready to go.

How could one even dream of making this an objective thing? You sound a bit too annoyed over that. It’s just playing styles and the contradiction in the type of play style GameFreak wants to encourage and people are just pointing it out..
Not sure if you notice but you slightly come off like your style is the right way to play. And that's why it annoys me a little.

Not sure if you notice but you slightly come off like your style is the right way to play. And that's why it annoys me a little.
Not really? I just mentioned my play style and the fact that GameFreak made explicit attempts to support it, but then completely backtracked on Gigantamax for some reason.

You literally quoted a sentence where I said "How could one even dream of making this an objective thing?" I literally said that there’s no right way to play there.

Not really? I just mentioned my play style and the fact that GameFreak made explicit attempts to support it, but then completely backtracked on Gigantamax for some reason.

You literally quoted a sentence where I said "How could one even dream of making this an objective thing?" I literally said that there’s no right way to play there.
Yet you talk with "This contradicts what they encourage" or whatever as if there is an objective wrong. Please at least word it in a way that makes sound liek it's more your personal opinion

Hm... looking again, I'm noticing that the background behind butterfree is actually a totally different color from both of the previous Max Raid screens we've seen. Perhaps that is our G-max indicator?

Ralts and Steelix look slightly different from each other but that could just be the different screen captures making the colors weird- they're both definitely red, though. But you can see that Ralts and Butterfree have matching weather indicators, so it's not tied to that. They're all different star levels so if it was related to that then it's definitely not a sensible color progression. Doesn't seem to be connected to type either, so... about all that leaves is the red and yellow being a D-max or G-max indicator.

6_11_maxraid_2.jpg

Hm... looking again, I'm noticing that the background behind butterfree is actually a totally different color from both of the previous Max Raid screens we've seen. Perhaps that is our G-max indicator?

Ralts and Steelix look slightly different from each other but that could just be the different screen captures making the colors weird- they're both definitely red, though. But you can see that Ralts and Butterfree have matching weather indicators, so it's not tied to that. They're all different star levels so if it was related to that then it's definitely not a sensible color progression. Doesn't seem to be connected to type either, so... about all that leaves is the red and yellow being a D-max or G-max indicator.

6_11_maxraid_2.jpg

View attachment 126875
View attachment 126876
Hmmm, this is a personal guess, but dark red might mean pre evolved pokemon, lighter red means fully evolved, and gold for Gigantamax

Yet you talk with "This contradicts what they encourage" or whatever as if there is an objective wrong. Please at least word it in a way that makes sound liek it's more your personal opinion
That’s a literal gamefreak interview though: they’re simplifying factors to make story teams more suited for competitive. They don’t say that it’s the correct way to play, but GameFreak did say that they want people being able to use story Pokemon in competitive: it’s not my personal opinion.

They're two parts of the argument. One which I personally prefer (subjective) along with the second where I mention that GameFreak wants to support a story team being competitive but backtracks with regards to Gigantamax.

That’s a literal gamefreak interview though: they’re simplifying factors to make story teams more suited for competitive. They don’t say that it’s the correct way to play, but GameFreak did say that they want people being able to use story Pokemon in competitive: it’s not my personal opinion.

They're two parts of the argument. One which I personally prefer (subjective) along with the second where I mention that GameFreak wants to support a story team being competitive but backtracks with regards to Gigantamax.
But not everyone sees it as a contradiction, cause as I mentioned at first, raising a pokemon doesn't mean raising it from the ground up. That's just how folks like you like to do it, when guys like me don't care what stage they're in as long as I take care of em.

Back
Top Bottom