• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Potential News Dates (Comments May Contain Spoilers!)

Wait, on all Pokemon?
Only with traded Pokémon that lack a nickname. Per the SwSh website, "if a Pokémon you received in a trade doesn’t have a nickname, you’ll now have the chance to give it a nickname—but only once!"

I guess becuase once it's nicknamed it becomes a nicknamed pokemon with a different Trainer ID. LOL
That makes sense. I guess they didn't, couldn't, or forgot to code a distinction between a nickname from the original trainer and a nickname from the new trainer.

Only with traded Pokémon that lack a nickname. Per the SwSh website, "if a Pokémon you received in a trade doesn’t have a nickname, you’ll now have the chance to give it a nickname—but only once!"

That makes sense. I guess they didn't, couldn't, or forgot to code a distinction between a nickname from the original trainer and a nickname from the new trainer.
It seems like it is on purpose, but then again, who knows?

I was surprised to see a new trailer today. I thought they were done until the 15th, but it's nice to see more new features.

Everything they mentioned sounds cool. The nature-stat changing mints sound like they'll be really helpful and totally eliminate the issue of being stuck with a Pokemon with a crappy nature on your in game team. I hope they can be purchased or if not, that won't be too hard to get.

Being able to swap out your team on the move is of course great. I'm so glad they kept that from Let's Go because it truly was one of the best features.

And passing egg moves through the daycare sounds really convenient.

The Gigantamax events are nice but...I really wish they were doing one for Alcremie instead of Butterfree. :cry:

At this point I’d assume its more of a “didn’t want to” sort of thing. Back in the days of Gen 1-2, I would have thought it was an issue of “can’t”.

But AC has had the option of “reporting” villagers for years. Its there so the game can reset the character back to their default mode if someone managed to give them a phrase or outfit you deem offensive. I can’t remember if it was WW or NL, but its been in play long enough that the hardware/software capabilities are there.

While I’m glad they’re at least addressing the issue on some level (I imagine that its meant more for international trading where the “nickname” is the Pokémon’s official name in a language foreign to the tradee), it doesn’t help in situations where you get a Farfetch’d named “Dux” lol

But AC has had the option of “reporting” villagers for years. Its there so the game can reset the character back to their default mode if someone managed to give them a phrase or outfit you deem offensive. I can’t remember if it was WW or NL, but its been in play long enough that the hardware/software capabilities are there.
That was in New Leaf, don't know if it was on Wild World or City Folk.

That was in New Leaf, don't know if it was on Wild World or City Folk.

Oh, it was definitely in NL, just don’t remember if it was available before that. I was so disappointed when I realized that it just reset the character; I was desperately hoping that it kicked unwanted villagers out!

Oh, it was definitely in NL, just don’t remember if it was available before that. I was so disappointed when I realized that it just reset the character; I was desperately hoping that it kicked unwanted villagers out!
If we could get that option normally (you could technically do this if you had amiibo cards and an NFC reader) + choosing were they can build houses, it would be perfect.

While I'm glad this is now a thing, I find it ridiculous that you can only change the nickname once. Two steps forward, one step back...
At this point, I'm just glad that you can do it; all the obscenely named Pokemon myself and my younger brother (as well as children period) received online can finally be changed. I'll never forget his face when he got a Shiny Sylveon via Wonder Trade only to be disturbed due to it being named V*irgin.

At this point, I'm just glad that you can do it; all the obscenely named Pokemon myself and my younger brother (as well as children period) received online can finally be changed. I'll never forget his face when he got a Shiny Sylveon via Wonder Trade only to be disturbed due to it being named V*irgin.

You can only give nicknames to traded Pokemon without one. Traded Pokemon with nicknames still can't be changed.

there's really no reason it would ever be a can't. it really just boils down to a function of how they want to build the Pokemon world.

We know the original games had a lot of glitches; I meant I might have assumed (if I put much thought into it back then) that they chose to not allow nickname changes because it might have created issues, based on how they built/coded it.

this generation has a lot of sound in it if you get what I mean ;)
Hope in moves and abilities too.

Posting Leaked Images
Hey everyone. Recently, some of our fellow Pokémon fan sites have received legal requests to take down leaked Sword and Shield images. We have not received one of these requests yet, but we are taking some preemptive measures to stay on the safe side. We ask that from now until the games release (November 15th) that you do not post any new leaked images anywhere on the forums.

Links to other sites displaying images should still be ok, but please avoid posting a straight link with a preview of linked content (for example: Twitter). We suggest instead adding a hyperlink to text to avoid these previews from appearing.

We do not plan to remove previously posted content at this time, but this may change as we receive more information. We will keep you updated as we learn more. Thank you for your understanding, and we hope you enjoy this final week of leaks and speculation.

Back
Top Bottom