• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Powerful 7.2 earthquake kills scores in Turkey

Netto Azure

«The Ashen Knight»
Reaction score

At least 75 people have been killed after a magnitude 7.2 earthquake hit eastern Turkey, state-run TRT television reports.

But Turkey's Kandilli Observatory estimated that 500 to 1,000 people could have perished in Van province on Sunday.

The seismology institute's estimate was based on the strength of the quake and the structure of the housing in the area.

The worst damage was caused to the town of Ercis, close to the Iranian border. The city of Van also suffered substantial damage.

"Around 10 buildings have collapsed in the city of Van and around 25 or 30 have collapsed in Ercis, including a dormitory,'' Deputy Prime Minister Besir Atalay said.

Atalay said authorities had no information yet on remote villages, but a local governor was touring the region by helicopter to assess damage.

TRT said 59 people had been killed and 150 others injured in Ercis, while 15 others died in Van. Another person died in the nearby province of Bitlis.

The quake's epicentre was in the village of Tabanli.

Al Jazeera’s Murat Utku, reporting from Van, said rescue workers were are scrambling to rescue those trapped before nightfall.

"The heat difference between day and night is very big here", he said. "Some are trying to dig their family members out by hand, but some machines are being taken here now to join the rescue workers."

The temperature was expected to dip to three degrees Celsius during the night.

Wow, that's one part of the world I didn't expect to have an earthquake. :U

Just reminds me to be more vigilant here in Cali. :(

Death toll is now up to 85, all my thoughts and wishes go out to those in Turkey.

I also just noticed that Turkey's Government is declining aid from the Israeli Government. Really guys, at a time like this can we step away from religious politics and just allow humans to help other humans?!

Is there going to be advertisements on other websites saying "Help Save Turkey", like there was for Japan and Haiti? I haven't seen any.

I think anybody in their right minds would recognize this as a tragedy. And I also think anybody in their right minds would be pissed at the Turkish government for declining aid from Israel.

Is there going to be advertisements on other websites saying "Help Save Turkey", like there was for Japan and Haiti? I haven't seen any.

There is two reasons for that:

1. It's not big as Japan's eartquake.

2. Turkey is not Haiti.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom