• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Predicting Results from Connecting Two Pokéwalkers

QuantumPolagnus

Cipher Admin
Reaction score
I can't find any info anywhere on the interwebs about being able to predict what you get out of connecting two Pokéwalkers. So, I've taken it upon myself to figure this out and have some interesting results.

One interesting observation I have made (and I've been compiling data from multiple such connections) is that the two items obtained on each Pokéwalker are ALWAYS in adjacent item tiers (tier 1 items requiring 0 steps to unlock all the way to tier 10 requiring the most for a given route) for their respective routes.

For instance, if I were to connect two Pokéwalkers and one Pokéwalker got a tier 6 item, but the other Pokéwalker had less steps, the second Pokéwalker would get the tier 5 item. The only exception from this rule that I've noticed is if both Pokéwalkers have 0 steps, in which case they both get the tier 1 items for their respective routes.

The most interesting point is that I have a working method for predicting what the item outcomes would be from a connection such as this. The item received is determined based on the average tier of item unlocked in both Pokéwalkers' routes.

If neither Pokéwalker is holding an item from a previous connection, then I can predict which items I'll get on both routes, based upon the average tier item unlocked for the Dowsing Machine on both Pokéwalkers.

*Note: for this table, the higher tier item goes to the Pokéwalker with the most steps for the day.

Average Tier Unlocked---------Item Tiers
1.0-1.5................................1 and 2
2.0-2.5................................2 and 3
3.0-3.5................................3 and 4
4.0-4.5................................4 and 5
5.0-5.5................................5 and 6
6.0-6.5................................6 and 7
7.0-7.5................................7 and 8
8.0-8.5................................8 and 9
9.0-9.5................................9 and 10
10.0....................................9 and 10

Consider the implications of this: if you can predict which items you will receive, then you can choose which items you want from this process. I have already done so and have easily obtained several very rare items from the process - items that would have been painfully irritating to obtain via the Dowsing Machine (plus it would have likely wasted hundreds of Watts in the process).

Now, if even one of the Pokéwalkers is holding an item received from one of these connections, the results are different, and I haven't entirely figured out how it determines which items are obtained if one or more Pokéwalkers already has one of these "connection items."

Also, all of this data is from tests which I have personally performed. If anyone is willing to check my results, I would be delighted to see what you find. More information can only help the process, IMHO.

Actually, I just wanted to point out another thing: another occasion I've noticed the item tiers not being adjacent.

I've done a single connection of this type when the other person's Pokéwalker already had 10 items from these connections. My Pokémon had 22294 steps on the Town Outskirts route and obtained the TM37, whereas the other Pokéwalker had only 530 steps on the Suburban Area route and received 99 Watts. The average tier unlocked was 5.5 and yet I got the tier 10 item.

Could this result have been implying that if the other Pokéwalker already has 10 items from these connections, that you get the item of the tier which you have personally unlocked? I don't know - it's kind of hard to draw a meaningful line from a single point of data. :D

If anyone else could add anything in regards to this, I'd be happy for the info.

Thanks for creating that video, I found it very interesting!

I learned something new that I did not know which was that the gifts are completely separate from the items that you have. Also, your predictions are very accurate and hopefully can be put to use in the future.

Thanks again and Great job!

Greetings.

I have a question. How is it possible for you to have an umbreon + kingdra on your pokéwalkers? -- assuming they are using the same game cartridge?

& if you are using the same game cartridge for both Pokéwalkers, were you able to restore your # of steps on the game cartridge upon re-syncing the original Pokéwalker?

I found that when I did this originally, I lost the counts until I re-synced my original Pokéwalker -- but I'm not sure if this is the sane case when a week or so has passed.

edit: P.S. I'm a gallente as well :))

Thank you! When my friend get HG I will so abuse this to get multiple Light Balls. And in case Keegman is reading this, yes I like light balls.

I had been meaning to figure out what happens if both pokewalkers have the same number of steps and I think I have.

Once again, this is only for if neither pokewalker is holding an item from a previous connection.

I connected two that had 0 steps each and each got their respective tier 1 items; and I connected two that had 99999 steps each and each got their respective tier 9 items. From that, I think they both get the item one tier below the average (which kind of sucks). It'd be nice if both could get the tier 10 items for their routes (as it would make farming PP Ups/Rare Candies much easier).

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom