• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Legends Z-A Predictions For New Megas?

Although I think it is unlikely, seeing as a lot of Megas seemingly got handed out because of the popularity of the base Pokemon, Mega Leavanny would be a great choice in that it increases the diversity of which Pokemon get Megas (Audino’s the only Unova Pokemon to get one so far) and that it could up the potential of a Pokemon that isn’t usually seen as much of a threat (especially compared to other Unova bugs).
Well yes... popularity certainly played a part in XY... in ORAS however, not so much anymore (Since if popularity played a part in ORAS, i doubt Camerupt, Sharpedo, Sableye, Altaria, Glalie and Audino would have gotten Mega's, especially since a popular mon like Milotic didn't get anything) and even then in XY there were some oddities taking into consideration popularity (Medicham, Manectric, Banette, Houndoom).
Fun fact: The Gen 1 partners actually weren’t the result of popularity, at least not entirely. Basically an artist drew the Megas for the heck of it and Game Freak liked the designs so much they got put into in XY! I think it was said in an interview about XY’s development, but I’m not sure which interview it was. I could be mistaken.

The thing i personally want to happen (But most likely is not going to happen), is to have completed sets of Mega Evolution if they continue to expand on it in future generations/games as well.
For example with a set i mean all the starter Pokemon, the regional birds, regional bugs and then try not to repeat certain typings on a set
So i have envisoned for gen 1
Butterfree - Bug/Fairy
Fearow - Dark/Flying
Machamp - Fighting
Golem - Electric/Ground (Taking elements from both the Alolan Form and Kantonian Form, this way both the Alolan and Kantonian Form can share a Mega design)
Omastar - Rock/Water
Kabutops - Rock Water
Dragonite - Dragon/Fairy

Gen 2
Meganium - Grass/Fairy
Typhlosion - Fire/Dark
Feraligatr - Water/Fighting
Noctowl - Psychic/Flying
Ledian - Bug/Fighting
Slowking - Water/Psychic
Lugia - Water/Dragon
Ho-Oh - Fire/Fairy

Gen 3
Beautifly - Bug/Poison
Dustox - Bug/Flying (Basically flipping regular Beautifly and Dustox)
Swellow - Fairy/Flying
Cradily - Grass/Dragon
Armaldo - Bug/Water
Milotic - Water/Fairy

Gen 4
Torterra - Grass/Steel
Infernape - Fire/Ground
Empoleon - Water/Fighting
Staraptor - Fighting/Flying
Luxray - Electric
Rampardos - Rock/Steel
Bastiodon - Rock
Yanmega - Bug/Dragon
Froslass - Ice/Ghost

Gen 5
Serperior - Grass/Dragon
Emboar - Fire/Poison
Samurott - Water/Psychic
Unfezant - Flying
Leavanny - Bug/Grass
Krookodile - Ground/Dark
Sigilyph - Psychic/Flying
Carracosta - Ice/Rock
Archeops - Dragon/Rock
Hydreigon - Dragon/Dark
Reshiram - Dragon/Fire
Zekrom - Dragon/Electirc
Kyurem White - Ice/Fire
Kyurem Black - Ice/Electric

Gen 6
Chesnaught - Grass/Ground
Delphox - Fire/Fairy
Greninja - Water/Ghost
Talonflame - Fire/Flying
Aegislash - Steel/Ghost
Heliolisk - Fire/Electric
Tyrantrum - Dragon
Aurorus - Ice

Hmm...Well, I wouldn't mind seeing a Flygon mega, since so many people want one. And I agree that the Kalos starters deserve some megas, too.

For me, megas are far more interesting when they're attached to an average Pokemon instead of a strong one. It's also fun when it's a Pokemon that's been mainly forgotten by the fandom, for whatever reason (or sometimes only remembered for being forgettable). I would love to see Mega Qwilfish, Maractus, or Minor. Definitely some from Gens VII, VIII, and IX, too. I agree with @Nicolas721 that a Mega Spidops would be amazing.

I'd also prefer megas for Pokemon that don't have any regional forms or Gigantamax forms. Give them some time in the spotlight.

I think the focus will be on gen 6 pokemon for megas so...

Chesnuaght: Lean more into the paladin design, give him a sword and a shield.
Delphox: witch staff and robe and hat, maybe a fire cat like skeldirge
Greninja: Give him some more water ninja weapons, and a ninja cloak of some kind.

All keep the same type not sure about abilities, the rest not sure what they can do but I think it'd make sense

Flygon (plz)
Goodra (and to add some spice to it one for each form)
Aegislash
Talonflame
Malamar
Trevenant
Armoatise

Just to name a few

Aside from the Kalos starters, who obviously should get Megas, there are a few I think would be good candidates for Megas. I'm going to be playing it a bit conservatively because as much as I adore Megas, I think the fact that only few Pokemon have them and they are specific and personalized power-ups for individual Pokemon is their charm, so they shouldn't be given out too liberally. We have Terastal for a super-generic in-battle transformation anyway.

- Butterfree. If only because Beedrill has a Mega, and since it will likely join its old counterpart as alternative early game bugs in this game it might as well get one here and now.

- Dragonite, since it's confirmed to be in this game. Goodra got a Hisuian form in Arceus among the pseudo-legendaries, and they obviously use this archetype of Pokemon on purpose. We'll probably get a Mega for an old pseudo-legendary or maybe some regional form or convergent pseudo in this game of one of them. Dragonite has strangely been left untouched among the Gen 1 roster to this day, despite being one of the most iconic ones alongside the starter trio, the trade quartet, Pikachu, Eevee, and Mewtwo. It deserves something for that.

- Slowking, Milotic, and Froslass, if only because their counterparts have them.

- An extremely out of the box one I have is two Megas for Donphan: Mega Donphan Z and Mega Donphan A. Basically in a reverse Roaring Moon/Iron Valiant relative to their Megas, Donphan gets to have two Mega Evolutions that look somewhat similar to Great Tusk and Iron Treads, with the Z Mega looking like Treads and the A Mega looking like Tusk. It would be a shoutout to its SV dual paradoxes, since it was one of the few who had them, and as Mega Evolutions they would also not only be stronger forms for Donphan but also enforce the foil it has with its long time counterpart Ursaring, who got a traditional cross-gen evolution in Legends: Arceus in Ursaluna, in a similar vein to Dusknoir and Mega Banette for the original Dusclops and Banette duo.

- Mega Flygon, because it was supposed to get one back in X and Y but didn't. Now is its chance to get one, and it deserves it.

- A number of Gen 5 Pokemon deserve a shot at Megas, since Gen 5 has been getting new evos and regional forms in the past few Switch games, might as well keep the trend going. Going down the list, some obvious candidates would be Krookodile, Gigalith, Conkeldurr, Scrafty, Chandelure, and Haxorus as some clear cut candidates.

Just a few thoughts.

One out-there idea I have is to have a Mega Evolution for a Pokémon that was at one point considered fully-evolved but no longer is: things like Rhydon (Rhyhorn racing is a Kalosian sport and Rhyperior wasn’t initially well received) or Bisharp (it has a statute in XY and its regular cross-gen evolution isn’t all that repeatable right now).

Not only would this diversify the potential Mega roster with creative alternatives to current cross-generational evos, but it would pave the way for Pokémon like Absol and Pinsir to be allowed standard cross-generational evolutions somewhere down the line.

One out-there idea I have is to have a Mega Evolution for a Pokémon that was at one point considered fully-evolved but no longer is: things like Rhydon (Rhyhorn racing is a Kalosian sport and Rhyperior wasn’t initially well received) or Bisharp (it has a statute in XY and its regular cross-gen evolution isn’t all that repeatable right now).

Not only would this diversify the potential Mega roster with creative alternatives to current cross-generational evos, but it would pave the way for Pokémon like Absol and Pinsir to be allowed standard cross-generational evolutions somewhere down the line.

While the idea is nice, i don't think it will ever happen, since Mega Evolution means Pokemon are tapping into a power beyond their usual capabilities, which middle stages technically already do when they evolve further into their last stage.

Back
Top Bottom