• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.

Preferred Trainer/Starter Pairings (Part 1: Red)

Who do you see Red with?

• Bulbasaur

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Charmander

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Psytrainer

The Azure Mystic
Reaction score
This is a bit of a remake of a set of posts I did a while ago. For a long time, I always liked pairing the player characters and rivals with the starters I feel best fit them. And in the wake of the Pokemon Masters announcement, I decided to see what others' thoughts were on this. With all of that out of the way, here's the poll for the first trainer: Red!

TRNatalie

Dragon snake
Reaction score
Since my first introduction to Red was the Adventures manga iteration, the Starter line I will always associate with him is the Bulbasaur line.

Last edited:

Nicolas721

Reaction score
Bulbasaur wouldn't be a bad choice, as it fits Red's shy and reflexive personality well. But I lean more towards Charizard, as it fits with his name and it the most badass.

Eggseggseggseggs

Eggseggs Eggseggs
Reaction score
I feel like Pikachu should really be in the poll. It's my real pick, with Charmander coming up second in my mind.

RK9

Gen V was the peak.
Reaction score
Bulbasaur.

And that's not just because I hate the mainstream pairing with Charmander purely because his name is Red, which connects to fire, but also the Adventures manga which is a pretty good adaption of a lot of game stuff.

And LGPE established it as well, so I'm a happy camper.

Esserise

Her Wraith
Reaction score
I've always liked putting him with Bulbasaur. I think Chamander is the kind of Pokémon that would appeal to Blue, and I like the symmetry of the first player character having the first Pokémon. Their colors also mix pretty nicely - red and green, the same as the original games.

Sakuraa

Cute bunny baby
Reaction score
Bulbasaur, mainly because of Pokemon Adventures.