• ME has two Legendary encounters this week. Watch them here and here.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! Bulbagarden is hosting its first Bulbaleague Conference Pokemon Showdown Tournament! Check out this thread to get the full details!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Preferred Trainer/Starter Pairings (Part 1: Red)

Who do you see Red with?

• Bulbasaur

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Charmander

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The Azure Mystic
Reaction score
This is a bit of a remake of a set of posts I did a while ago. For a long time, I always liked pairing the player characters and rivals with the starters I feel best fit them. And in the wake of the Pokemon Masters announcement, I decided to see what others' thoughts were on this. With all of that out of the way, here's the poll for the first trainer: Red!

Swimming through the air and sea!
Reaction score
Since my first introduction to Red was the Adventures manga iteration, the Starter line I will always associate with him is the Bulbasaur line.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bulbasaur wouldn't be a bad choice, as it fits Red's shy and reflexive personality well. But I lean more towards Charizard, as it fits with his name and it the most badass.

Eggseggs Eggseggs
Reaction score
I feel like Pikachu should really be in the poll. It's my real pick, with Charmander coming up second in my mind.

RK9

Gen V was the peak.
Reaction score
Bulbasaur.

And that's not just because I hate the mainstream pairing with Charmander purely because his name is Red, which connects to fire, but also the Adventures manga which is a pretty good adaption of a lot of game stuff.

And LGPE established it as well, so I'm a happy camper.

Laid to Wake
Reaction score
I've always liked putting him with Bulbasaur. I think Chamander is the kind of Pokémon that would appeal to Blue, and I like the symmetry of the first player character having the first Pokémon. Their colors also mix pretty nicely - red and green, the same as the original games.

Cute bunny baby
Reaction score
Bulbasaur, mainly because of Pokemon Adventures.