• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preferred Trainer/Starter Pairings (Part 1: Red)

Who do you see Red with?

• Bulbasaur

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Charmander

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Psytrainer

The Azure Mystic
Reaction score
This is a bit of a remake of a set of posts I did a while ago. For a long time, I always liked pairing the player characters and rivals with the starters I feel best fit them. And in the wake of the Pokemon Masters announcement, I decided to see what others' thoughts were on this. With all of that out of the way, here's the poll for the first trainer: Red!

Bulbasaur wouldn't be a bad choice, as it fits Red's shy and reflexive personality well. But I lean more towards Charizard, as it fits with his name and it the most badass.

I feel like Pikachu should really be in the poll. It's my real pick, with Charmander coming up second in my mind.

Bulbasaur.

And that's not just because I hate the mainstream pairing with Charmander purely because his name is Red, which connects to fire, but also the Adventures manga which is a pretty good adaption of a lot of game stuff.

And LGPE established it as well, so I'm a happy camper.

I've always liked putting him with Bulbasaur. I think Chamander is the kind of Pokémon that would appeal to Blue, and I like the symmetry of the first player character having the first Pokémon. Their colors also mix pretty nicely - red and green, the same as the original games.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom