• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Preferred Trainer/Starter Pairings (Part 11: Barry)

Who do you see Barry with?

• Turtwig

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Piplup

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters
Geek of the Games
Reaction score
While I can see Chimchar's speedy nature being a compliment to Barry's hasty nature, I can only see him with Piplup, mainly thanks to the anime and my own Platinum runs. So, I picked Piplup.

the bells of joy are ringing
Reaction score
Hands down Chimchar. Both are quick, hasty, and fiery due to his enthusiasm. I can see Barry totally getting along with a Pokémon that matches his tempo, I suppose. Hence, I voted for Chimchar.

Laid to Wake
Reaction score
I always liked the irony of slow, easygoing Turtwig having to keep up with Barry's hyperactivity, and yet them still managing to make it work somehow.

Cute bunny baby
Reaction score
Chimchar because of Pokemon Adventures and because he's super energetic and Chimchar is the fastest of the 3.

The thing that the anime characters do with Pocky
Reaction score
Barry- I mean... Pearl started off with a Chimchar in Pokemon Adventures. Also, Dawn- I mean, Platinum in almost every single iteration yet, has started with a Piplup, leaving Lucas/Diamond with a Turtwig. And not only that, but it says that the starter that Barry starts off with has a type advantage compared to Lucas' starter, and since Dawn and her Piplup are out of the question means that Barry/Pearl has the preferred starter of Chimchar!

...I rest my case.

Reaction score
Chimchar because of Pokemon Adventures and because he's super energetic and Chimchar is the fastest of the 3.
Barry, out of the three, is the most likely to be seen swinging from trees like a Chimchar.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
The anime and my platinum runs have led me to associate with Piplup. I also like how people pointed out the contrast between Barry and Torterra.

Reaction score
The anime and my platinum runs have led me to associate with Piplup. I also like how people pointed out the contrast between Barry and Torterra.
Barry and Piplup seems off, but Barry and Empoleon seems just about right. Although that doesn't really reconcile it for me, lol.

Fancy Fungi
Reaction score
Masters has Barry with a Piplup. Tbh I was skeptical of it, but kind of like it now because it gives him a reason to see Crasher Wake as his master, with it being water type and all.