• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Fun & Games is searching for new mods! Did I catch your attention? Head on over here!

Preferred Trainer/Starter Pairings (Part 11: Barry)

Who do you see Barry with?

• Turtwig

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Piplup

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
While I can see Chimchar's speedy nature being a compliment to Barry's hasty nature, I can only see him with Piplup, mainly thanks to the anime and my own Platinum runs. So, I picked Piplup.

Parissong

the bells of joy are ringing
Reaction score
Hands down Chimchar. Both are quick, hasty, and fiery due to his enthusiasm. I can see Barry totally getting along with a Pokémon that matches his tempo, I suppose. Hence, I voted for Chimchar.

Esserise

Her Wraith
Reaction score
I always liked the irony of slow, easygoing Turtwig having to keep up with Barry's hyperactivity, and yet them still managing to make it work somehow.

Sakuraa

Cute bunny baby
Reaction score
Chimchar because of Pokemon Adventures and because he's super energetic and Chimchar is the fastest of the 3.

ThatAsianInTheCorner

Average Black Mage.
Reaction score
Barry- I mean... Pearl started off with a Chimchar in Pokemon Adventures. Also, Dawn- I mean, Platinum in almost every single iteration yet, has started with a Piplup, leaving Lucas/Diamond with a Turtwig. And not only that, but it says that the starter that Barry starts off with has a type advantage compared to Lucas' starter, and since Dawn and her Piplup are out of the question means that Barry/Pearl has the preferred starter of Chimchar!

...I rest my case.

Parissong

Reaction score
Chimchar because of Pokemon Adventures and because he's super energetic and Chimchar is the fastest of the 3.
Barry, out of the three, is the most likely to be seen swinging from trees like a Chimchar.

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
The anime and my platinum runs have led me to associate with Piplup. I also like how people pointed out the contrast between Barry and Torterra.

Parissong

Reaction score
The anime and my platinum runs have led me to associate with Piplup. I also like how people pointed out the contrast between Barry and Torterra.
Barry and Piplup seems off, but Barry and Empoleon seems just about right. Although that doesn't really reconcile it for me, lol.

Tood

*stares*
Reaction score
Masters has Barry with a Piplup. Tbh I was skeptical of it, but kind of like it now because it gives him a reason to see Crasher Wake as his master, with it being water type and all.