• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preferred Trainer/Starter Pairings (Part 17: Calem, Serena, and Shauna)

Who do you see Calem, Serena, and Shauna with?

• Chespin (Calem), Froakie (Serena), Fennekin (Shauna)

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Fennekin (Calem), Chespin (Serena), Froakie (Shauna)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Froakie (Calem), Fennekin (Serena), Chespin (Shauna)

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Chespin (Serena), Froakie (Calem), Fennekin (Shauna)

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Fennekin (Serena), Chespin (Calem), Froakie (Shauna)

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Froakie (Serena), Fennekin (Calem), Chespin (Shauna)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Calem resembles Kalos Ash a lot on his clothes, so it's impossible for me to not see it with Greninja, and Serena and Fennekin were made for each other. That leaves Shauna with Chesnaught, which is possible if you see Serena as the PC, and they have nice chemistry too with their playful personality.

The PC (either Calem or Serena) would have Charizard too, with the X Mega and Y Mega versions respectively.

While they didn't have conventional starters in the games, Tierno & Squirtle and Trevor & Bulbasaur almost look made for each other.

I originally had Calem with Chesnaught and Serena with Greninja, but nowadays I lean more to Calem and Chesnaught and Serena and Delphox.

For the Sycamore starters, Calem would get Charizard Y while Serena would get Blastoise.

I don't see Shauna with the starter she gets in the game. So, uh, Delcatty, I guess?

I tend to view Calem as the protagonist of the Kalos storyline, with Serena being the rival. I've always liked to imagine Serena with Chesnaught. Its mixed offensive/defensive style makes me think of it as appealing to someone who likes strategizing in battle, which is largely how I view Serena when in the rival role. Wanting to prove herself separately from her parents, so she takes being a Trainer quite seriously, and her repeated losses to the player make her want to really scrutinize her own choices in that battle so as not to make the same mistake twice.

I'm not sure the word I've chosen will really convey what I'm trying to say for this one, but to me, Greninja feels the most protagonist-ey of the three (even before Ash-Greninja came along), so I see it with Calem.

That leaves Delphox for Shauna, which I think fits. Fennekin is probably the most overtly cute and fluffy of the Kalos Starters, so of course she would like it, what with her personality.

I don't know why but the default clothing colours of Calem and Serena make me link them to Greninja and Delphox respectively. That said, I can't really see Shauna and Chestnaught. Curiously enough, in my only playthrough of the Kalos games, that's the starter she ended up with.

Xerneas_Encounter.png
Yveltal_Encounter.png

These are from parallel universes. I think that Yveltal is a better fit for Lysandre's plan, and with Serena as a protagonist Calem still gets to use Froakie.

Serena looks most fitting with Fennekin and Calem with Froakie, which leaves Chespin for Shauna. This is how it was in my playthrough of X so it's the one that looks the best to me.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom