• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preordering the Japan games

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the same game. Same quests, same NPCs, same gyms, same story. This isn't a choose your own adventure; you play the game as it is intended. There's not going to be any deviation from your course.

...why wouldn't you do it the same way? The only conceivable difference would be in the kinds of Pokemon you pick, but to me that doesn't have any bearing on the story. Unless you were to transfer your Pokemon over to the ENG cart or something.

Tangible differences only occur when talking about a separate game. The JPN language version of Pokemon: Black and ENG language version of Pokemon: Black is going to be the same game. There's no value in getting the same game but in a different language to me. Now, if I play the White version in Japanese and then decide to get the Black version in English, I could be more motivated to accomplish that game because there would potentially be things I have not experienced.

And, just as a glimpse into my personal playstyle, I tend to have one "Main" game that I used, which includes all my progress and every Pokemon I've ever captured. This includes not only Poke Dex contributions but the Battle Frontier data, Trainer Card, Item collection, and any of the side-quest stuff like the Underground collection in Sinnoh. I wonder if anyone else shares my quirk of... only wanting to do this once. Even if I play a newer version down the road, it'll just be for the story and maybe some new Pokemon. But everything else harkens back to that "Main" game. And usually, this is the first game cart I buy in the generation. I don't want to fumble with JPN versions that encroach on that playstyle.

Well, there is said to be another, bigger, difference between the Black and White versions =3.

Which has me excited and I've been saying from Day 1 that this will probably constitute a first time double-purchase on my part.

Which has me excited and I've been saying from Day 1 that this will probably constitute a first time double-purchase on my part.

I will admit, I usually buy both versions eventually. Usually what happens is, when a pair is announced, I buy one, and my older brother buys the other, and I get the one I didn't get later. However, I regretted buying both HeartGold and SoulSilver - I've barely touched SoulSilver.

However, as I do a lot of news stuff for a site I help run, I'll be buying White Version (might also give be a boost in VGC 2011) and get Black in English (As my older brother likes Zekrom, and I prefer Reshiram).

Is there a way using an action replay to change the dialogue into english? has anybody ever try this?

Is there a way using an action replay to change the dialogue into english? has anybody ever try this?

No there isn't, as alternate languages aren't built into the games.

Also guys, the play-asia pre-orders are now OPEN! Also, they reveal a March 2011 release for the American version. I've already pre-ordered my White:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-17-71-8s-74-2ha-49-en.html

Yesasia have yet to open pre-orders. However, please note that for any UK customers, as the games are over £32, that's a customs charge.

No there isn't, as alternate languages aren't built into the games.

Also guys, the play-asia pre-orders are now OPEN! Also, they reveal a March 2011 release for the American version. I've already pre-ordered my White:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-17-71-8s-74-2ha-49-en.html

Yesasia have yet to open pre-orders. However, please note that for any UK customers, as the games are over £32, that's a customs charge.

Yay^_^
I am just waiting for money to clear in Paypal then I will order.
I hope the orders will still be open by then^_^

They only opened today - Luckily, I had money kept in my account for when they open (I had a feeling they'd open in July).

And luckily, I have my debit card on my paypal account =3

I hope the preorders open soon, i'll probably just use Play Asia. i hope the preorder gift is ok. I'll preorder both. I may use EMS becasue ive ksordered stuff from asia and it takes 2-4 weeksfor it to arrive and i want to start ASAP, Im gonna start with Black version cause i love Reshiram, and I am planning to immediately SR for shiny Tsutaja( and Pokabu in White version). Isnt the preorder gift supposed to be in CoroCoro this month?

I hope the preorders open soon, i'll probably just use Play Asia. i hope the preorder gift is ok. I'll preorder both. I may use EMS becasue ive ksordered stuff from asia and it takes 2-4 weeksfor it to arrive and i want to start ASAP, Im gonna start with Black version cause i love Reshiram, and I am planning to immediately SR for shiny Tsutaja( and Pokabu in White version). Isnt the preorder gift supposed to be in CoroCoro this month?
Didn't you bother reading the last page? Play-Asia pre-orders opened yesterday.

I chose UPS Shipping, so I can get it within 1-4 days =3

I haven't heard anything of a pre-order gift, but I bet it'll end up being a Reshiram (Black) or Zekrom (White) figure. Possibly a Zoroark figure for pre-ordering both.

I would probably pre order, but I don't have $60. I will probably get the japanese versions, just not on day 1.

EDIT:
There is a misprint on the play-asia site. It says the games are reigon free, when in reality, they are only reigon free on the DS and DS Lite. Not the DSi or DSi XL.

Last edited:
I would probably pre order, but I don't have $60. I will probably get the japanese versions, just not on day 1.

EDIT:
There is a misprint on the play-asia site. It says the games are reigon free, when in reality, they are only reigon free on the DS and DS Lite. Not the DSi or DSi XL.
Well, the only indication we have of them being so is PokéBeach reporting that the game's code-thing means DSi exclusive.

Either way, I'll contact them - doesn't affect me as I have a DS Lite though.

Well, the only indication we have of them being so is PokéBeach reporting that the game's code-thing means DSi exclusive.

Either way, I'll contact them - doesn't affect me as I have a DS Lite though.
The report was that its DSi enhanced. I doubt they'd region lock it if its merely enhanced.

The report was that its DSi enhanced. I doubt they'd region lock it if its merely enhanced.

Other DSi-enhanced games have been region-locked... most, I believe. There are only 2 or 3 DSi-exclusive cartridges, so the enhanced ones (much more numerous) are really the best opportunity for Nintendo to exercise the region locking.

Yeah; that makes sense. I dug up PokéBeach's original post about them having DSi exclusive features, but it mentions nothing of them being blocked out by DSi/XL consoles.

TM2, what other titles have Nintendo released that have been DSi enhanced?

TM2, what other titles have Nintendo released that have been DSi enhanced?

I can't find a list of them, but there've been at least 60 games so far with DSi features, that also work on the DS Phat/Lite. Reports have been that many of them (probably most of the ones that people have bothered trying) are region-locked when played on a DSi.

Serebii has reported it as well. It hasn't been explicitly mentioned for these games officially, but yes, other news outlets have determined that games with the same code as these will not play on a different region's DSi (but will play on Phats and Lites).

As for me, I'm torn. On the one hand, I'm planning on going to Japan in a year, and playing a Japanese game would go well with trying to improve my Japanese skills before I go - plus, I'm just really excited to play the game. But on the other hand, my Phat is really beat up, and doesn't display well anymore, so the graphics might look pretty meh. I might have just bought a Japanese DSi as well, so I could play any other locked Japanese games I get while in Japan...except the 3DS is coming out in March at the latest, so that would be a waste.

I guess if I get really desperate I could trade in my Phat (probably for something like $5) and get a used Lite for fairly cheap. But it still seems like a lot to go through just to get one game six months early.

I usually wait until the American version comes out, and then I usually wait a little more until June for my birthday.

Play-Asia said they don't know if the games will be region blocked...so isn't it kinda false advertising to advertise it as region free if they don't know if it is or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom