• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preordering the Japan games

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd have your adventure on the JPN Cart and then you'd have your ENG Cart. You would have to restart/redo your adventure on the English cart. All the decisions you made would need to be done over again. You would have to capture the same Pokemon and do the same quests. Basically, your progess resets back to 0, unless you want to continue using the JPN Cart.

I only want to do things once. The fact that Pokemon carts only have one file that you save on makes it a very personal experience. That cart is my game, my journey. Experiencing it the second time isn't as fun because its still the same game. Nothing is going to change.

Do things differently? There's tons of replay value. There's tons of different ways to play.

You'd have your adventure on the JPN Cart and then you'd have your ENG Cart. You would have to restart/redo your adventure on the English cart. All the decisions you made would need to be done over again. You would have to capture the same Pokemon and do the same quests. Basically, your progess resets back to 0, unless you want to continue using the JPN Cart.

That's the same as playing a game twice, and who says you'll do it the same this time?

games from japan are cool to pre order but dont they come only in japanese?

This. Although I might know basic Japanese by then....
I suggest you also study your Grammar and Vocabulary, because the dialogue is typically very casual, and there will be few(if any) Kanji.

We should expect websites to have Pre-orders online around July 15th; that's the official release date for the next CoroCoro, which will reveal the pre-order "gift".

I think the better question is; Which online retailer will provide the pre-order toy?
Last year with HGSS, none of the American import retailers mentioned it, though I do believe some players recieved the figurine for their respective versions.
I have yet to find a Japanese retailer who ships to the US.

And the Game will be region locked in regards to the DSi; playable on any DS "phat" or DSlite; but only playable on Japanese DSi.

In my opinion, it'd be useless to purchase a DSi at this point since the 3DS is on it's way.

But to each his own; HGSS were without special edition Systems; BW will likely have a special DSi.

V Faction, you are very logical, however, most people just want to play the new pokemon games.
But I understand your point, I typically have only one copy of the game as well.

Oh well, I guess going back to the DSPhat won't be so bad.

I bought Pearl in Japanese and had a blast, even though I knew like NO Japanese at all, and likewise when I got the English version of Diamond and Platinum I had an fun time playing them around again, but I don't know if I'll preorder yet...maybe I'll wait...

Oh well, I guess going back to the DSPhat won't be so bad.

We'll see, notice how the games and game footage are highlighting the DSi; we've yet to see a DS lite - these games may run especially slow on regular DS.

That's not a major thing, but it can get irritating.

Play Asia got me my copy of Diamond the day after it came out :D Strongly suggest it.

Japanese isnt a poblem at all. Yesterday played my jap Pokemon Colusseum and got as far as I had in my american one in 1 day, it took me 5 days in the English game. I hope that the preorder gift is good, like a rare pokemon or something. I really dont mind importing at all i wish id imported Plat/HG/SS earlier for wi fi events. Honestly I have a DS lite i can play on if its region locked, it was a mistake for me to buy the DSi, its not that great anyway. 40 dollars more for what? 2 cameras the ability to play music and downlaod stuff. I have my I pod touch for that stuff

Very tempted to get the Japanese version, if my step-sis wasn't moving to Korea a month before the game is released. Was gonna use her as my pocket translator :-(

I'll just wait till they are released in English so I can use my DSi instead of my scratched to hell gray brick.

Yesasia.com didn't give me my Lugia figure with SoulSilver.

Also, I've played through Ruby, Pearl, Platinum, SoulSilver and Ranger in Japanese. White won't be a problem. Just gotta wait for pre-orders to open.

I really want to pre-order them in Japanese, but I'm unsure about them being delivered correctly coming all the way from Japan. I'm guessing it's reliable if so many people are going to do it. There's also the problem of not understanding Japanese, but that's not major to me, I'll just wander around and guess :p

I really want to pre-order them in Japanese, but I'm unsure about them being delivered correctly coming all the way from Japan. I'm guessing it's reliable if so many people are going to do it. There's also the problem of not understanding Japanese, but that's not major to me, I'll just wander around and guess :p

International Shipping is fine. However, it will take longer. For example, US->UK is about 2-3 days longer, while Asia->UK takes roughly a week.

They don't always ship from japan. My JP Plat i ordered from Play-Asia came from Hong Kong.
Also, if you get it shipped fast (via EMS or UPS), then expect to pay around $20 (far more then the $3 they want for slow (several weeks) shipping).

And if you don't understand, you can use a walkthrough. There will be lots available online after the Japanese release.

Also, if you're in the UK and the item ends up costing more than £35, prepare for a custom's charge, which can be anything. I haven't ordered from play-asia since I was given a £7.50 customs charge for my Japanese Ruby (About £5 excl. Postage) and UPS wanted an on-the-door £20 customs charge for a Gamecube game. However, my friend got his HG from Japan last year, and no charge.

International Shipping is fine. However, it will take longer. For example, US->UK is about 2-3 days longer, while Asia->UK takes roughly a week.

I suppose the time-scale is expected, but I'd rather wait a week then a whole 6-9months :)

They don't always ship from japan. My JP Plat i ordered from Play-Asia came from Hong Kong.
Also, if you get it shipped fast (via EMS or UPS), then expect to pay around $20 (far more then the $3 they want for slow (several weeks) shipping).

And if you don't understand, you can use a walkthrough. There will be lots available online after the Japanese release.

Oh, I just presumed Japan was the place they came from, my bad. I don't like to use a walkthrough first time in games unless I'm really stuck, but if I do order this, I guess I might have to.

Also, if you're in the UK and the item ends up costing more than £35, prepare for a custom's charge, which can be anything. I haven't ordered from play-asia since I was given a £7.50 customs charge for my Japanese Ruby (About £5 excl. Postage) and UPS wanted an on-the-door £20 customs charge for a Gamecube game. However, my friend got his HG from Japan last year, and no charge.

Yeah I'm the U.K, and I'm not liking the sound of this extra cost, but if HG was no charge, I can't see these being? I gues we'll have to see the release price first.

Anyway, thanks you two for the information, I'll look more into now, as I was doubtful to start with :D

So can you pre-order them on Play-Asia yet? Im a little out of the loop.

games from japan are cool to pre order but dont they come only in japanese?

If they're from Japan, then yes. There have been a few English games voice acting wise (like Parappa the Rapper) however the text is in Japanese.

Do things differently? There's tons of replay value. There's tons of different ways to play.
It's the same game. Same quests, same NPCs, same gyms, same story. This isn't a choose your own adventure; you play the game as it is intended. There's not going to be any deviation from your course.

That's the same as playing a game twice, and who says you'll do it the same this time?
...why wouldn't you do it the same way? The only conceivable difference would be in the kinds of Pokemon you pick, but to me that doesn't have any bearing on the story. Unless you were to transfer your Pokemon over to the ENG cart or something.

Tangible differences only occur when talking about a separate game. The JPN language version of Pokemon: Black and ENG language version of Pokemon: Black is going to be the same game. There's no value in getting the same game but in a different language to me. Now, if I play the White version in Japanese and then decide to get the Black version in English, I could be more motivated to accomplish that game because there would potentially be things I have not experienced.

And, just as a glimpse into my personal playstyle, I tend to have one "Main" game that I used, which includes all my progress and every Pokemon I've ever captured. This includes not only Poke Dex contributions but the Battle Frontier data, Trainer Card, Item collection, and any of the side-quest stuff like the Underground collection in Sinnoh. I wonder if anyone else shares my quirk of... only wanting to do this once. Even if I play a newer version down the road, it'll just be for the story and maybe some new Pokemon. But everything else harkens back to that "Main" game. And usually, this is the first game cart I buy in the generation. I don't want to fumble with JPN versions that encroach on that playstyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom