• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview of upcoming GF & Gym battle

Ash had it rougher too, specially in Kanto. And Harley made it roguher for May which Ursula is not able to achieve as of now.

But May's story was original compared to Dawn. Dawn is a copy of Ash.

Are you serious? I have my love for all 3 girls, but if anything, May was a Mary Sue at times. Dawn's story is much more realistic.

Dawn has done some things similar to Ash, but to say she's a copy is degrading her character and is completely unprofessional.

Paul is a better rival than Zoey and character wise he is better than Dawn. He has a personality while Dawn, as I said, is a copy of Ash.

To each its own. I enjoyed Zoey, Kenny, and Ursula more than Drew, Paul, Gary, Barry, and Conway.

As far as the copy thing is concerned, let's not forget, Ash does have the Buizel Dawn caught. Uses moves Dawn thought of, as well as vice versa, and even copied Misty's use of the Lure Ball on Totodile.

You my friend are blinded by the love of dawn and hate for Ash. You are forgetting that Ash is the one who makes anime and Paul is the one who made Sinnoh more interesting not Dawn. I am certain that you can't name some qualities that separated Dawn from Ash.

I absolutely love Ash. But, I find Dawn and Misty, as well as even May, Jessie, Tracey(yes, I said it), and even Soledad to be more awesome.

Ash is great, but just like Yugi and Jaden, is spoiled beyond no reason other than being the #1 character.

If screentime was equally divided, this would be a very different show, and maybe even, a better one.

You joined this very year.

Seriously won't you find it weird that Ash after traveling through four regions get beaten up by a Ninja Monkey while a girl with same story comes and achieve her goal in the same region?

A) I joined Sppf in January 2008, and been saying it there as well.

However, right before 2008, Dawn lost in the appeal round for the 2nd time, since then, I've been believing that Dawn would win her GF.

I started to believe the whole promise when Zoey and Dawn first met. I said Dawn and May are going to be so different, and they are.

I may have been overexaggerating a little bit, but at the end of the day, Dawn is very underrated as a character, so was Misty.

May's arc was handed to us with a pink bow in order for us to like contests.

Well, I ended up loving them, and honestly, I loved Dawn's more.

Also, just a thought, suppose May had Piplup, and Dawn had Blaziken, would people like May that much still?

I would, but would others.

It seems like May's popularity came from the Pokemon she had.

Take out Combusken in the BF, and make Squirtle the star, and see how popular May would be.

Ursula's new dress is nicer than Dawn's based on what I've seen so far.

Ursula's new dress is nicer than Dawn's based on what I've seen so far.

I really like both, as well as Zoey's.

Zoey always dressing like a male, and Harley even crossdressing, just goes to show you that the writers have no problems with homosexuality or transexuals.

I hope any future rivals we get, have secret identities.

Like Gym battler at times, then coordinator.

Maybe a rival to Ash and Dawn/or new girl/boy.

I'm not too big on either Hikari's, Nozomi's or Urara's dresses to be quite honest.

Hikari's hair though, I can say with confidence, is awful.

Dawn kind of looks like a banana in her new dress. Her hair doesn't bother me.

Are you serious? I have my love for all 3 girls, but if anything, May was a Mary Sue at times. Dawn's story is much more realistic.

Dawn has done some things similar to Ash, but to say she's a copy is degrading her character and is completely unprofessional.

As far as the copy thing is concerned, let's not forget, Ash does have the Buizel Dawn caught. Uses moves Dawn thought of, as well as vice versa, and even copied Misty's use of the Lure Ball on Totodile.

You didn't get what I meant by copy. I mean the storyline like both having a dream of becoming Master\Master Coordinator, both getting similar line up, both gaining the trust of their starter when another species attacked them, both having childhood rival and the list goes on and on. When you compare May's story you will see that she was original not like Dawn who was completely based on Ash. They made Dawn's character when they ran out of ideas and thought that copying ash's personality would help but didn't knew that people like us would catch their fault.

And calling out Buizel idea is totally unfair. Ash also gave his Ambipom in return and thats whats we call unprofessional. You are saying like dawn's gave Buizel out of pity to Ash cause he had no water type at that time.

To each its own. I enjoyed Zoey, Kenny, and Ursula more than Drew, Paul, Gary, Barry, and Conway.

I can understand that you don't fall for character who have personality. Out of three you pointed only Ursula has some personality and that also belong to Harley. You haven't seen the greatness by which they created Paul. we haven't seen such a character since the start of series. He can't be compared to anyone else when comes to personality.

And yes May's personality was original too. It doesn't matter when you start to follow your dream but only thing that matters is how you achieve your goal. At least May had no problem in throwing Pokeball and Ash didn't had to mentor her the whole region.

I don't see what the big deal is here.

Dawn's personality does have some blatant similarities to parts of Ash/May's personality, but she's also a different character than them too.

Mamoswine was pretty much a new version of Charizard's story, Piplup was similar to Pikachu/Bulbasaur, etc.

You didn't get what I meant by copy. I mean the storyline like both having a dream of becoming Master\Master Coordinator, both getting similar line up, both gaining the trust of their starter when another species attacked them, both having childhood rival and the list goes on and on. When you compare May's story you will see that she was original not like Dawn who was completely based on Ash. They made Dawn's character when they ran out of ideas and thought that copying ash's personality would help but didn't knew that people like us would catch their fault.

And calling out Buizel idea is totally unfair. Ash also gave his Ambipom in return and thats whats we call unprofessional. You are saying like dawn's gave Buizel out of pity to Ash cause he had no water type at that time.

I can understand that you don't fall for character who have personality. Out of three you pointed only Ursula has some personality and that also belong to Harley. You haven't seen the greatness by which they created Paul. we haven't seen such a character since the start of series. He can't be compared to anyone else when comes to personality.

And yes May's personality was original too. It doesn't matter when you start to follow your dream but only thing that matters is how you achieve your goal. At least May had no problem in throwing Pokeball and Ash didn't had to mentor her the whole region.

I don't want this to turn into a May vs Dawn thread.

But Dawn did beat May

Exactly

At the end of the day, Dawn not winning her GF, is so umprofessional.

It is soooooo unprofessional!!!

Do you know what that word means?

I ask myself the same question... seirously unprofessional ? You keep throwing that word arounf J-Boogie, but... what ? It makes no sense to be used in that context

I know most of this thread is GF speculation, but how many eps do you think they'll spend back at Sunyshore? I'm glad they got the intro eps out of the way, so hopefully they start the Gym battle as soon as we get back there rather than doing anything else.

I know most of this thread is GF speculation, but how many eps do you think they'll spend back at Sunyshore? I'm glad they got the intro eps out of the way, so hopefully they start the Gym battle as soon as we get back there rather than doing anything else.

Just like the Olivine City Gym battle they will just do battle this time round which will probably take two episodes and then we are off to Sinnoh League.

Gym battles only take up two episodes with the introduction and Team Rocket intervention added in. Short of that, dragging a battle with only four Pokémon past one episode would be unprecedented and rather boring.

Gym battles only take up two episodes with the introduction and Team Rocket intervention added in. Short of that, dragging a battle with only four Pokémon past one episode would be unprecedented and rather boring.

In Hoenn the gym battle took two episodes when the battle format was five on five. This time the battles looks more intense and more badass so it can take two episodes of its won. And they can throw a little plot at the start.

People need to Shut up with this "DAWN HAD IT ROUGH SHE DESERVES TO WIN THE GF" nonsense. Big fucking whoop she lost a few contest I think a lot people tend to forget SHE IS A BEGINNER she needs to lose a few contest to grow. For Dawn to win the GF is a slap in the face to Ash because Dawn went through one region and won the GF because she "had it hard" and "deserved it" while Ash has been through 4 regions and has yet to win a league yet. Using that logic is like saying Ash "Deserved" to win the Johto League just because Chharizard fucked him over in Indiago. To me thats just stupid.

I honestly see Zoey and Dawn for a semi-finals match with ZOEY winning then ZOEY loses to a tourney rival who wins the GF.

Can't wait for SunyShore and the League though. Infernape looks insane

For Dawn to win the GF is a slap in the face to Ash

Your point, while I don't think I addressed it here, I will address it.

I used to think that as well, no one could ever place higher than Ash or May, no one because it would be a slap to them.

But how is that fair to future beginning trainers/coordinators? Why should they suffer by placing equally with what Ash and May did on their first time?

To me that's not realistic at all, someone is always going to be better when they start out than the some other people.

I mean let's look at Ash's Indigo/Kanto record:

1. Most of Ash's badges were earned through some other way than actually battling. Which seriously hindered his Pokemon's growth.

2. Ash's Charizard, his likely strongest Pokemon "abandoned" Ash when he needed Charizard the most.

Now Ash really didn't deserve to lose to Ritchie the way he did, I'll agree to that, because the writers made sure he was beyond screwed, with the whole Team Rocket tiring out Pidgeotto and Bulbasaur, so he could only use Charizard.

But still Ash got pretty far for his first time, and had the battle been fair, Ash might've gotten Top 8 in the league maybe higher.

Now let's look at May's Hoenn Record:

1. She disliked Pokemon from the start.
2. She never failed an appeal round, and only lost in the battle stage.

And she place Top 8 in the Grand Festival. Hey look May did better than Ash, oh no Slap to Ash, right?

Well let's look at Dawn:

1. Her mother is a grand festival winner.

2. Dawn WANTED to be a coordinator from the start, meaning she already had combinations in her head before she got her first Pokemon.

3. Dawn lost in the appeal stage twice, which is a lot more realistic than May's crappy appeal winning appeals (especially when Dawn's appeals weren't even that bad).

4. Dawn won all her ribbons fairly. She didn't get a single one through pity.

Dawn is already shown to be better than Ash or May when they started out.

So like I said, how fair or realistic if every coordinator from May showed up and placed Top 8 or worse, because god forbid that doing better would be a spit in May's face.

Now I don't expect (if Dawn does win the GF) that it sets some precedent where all of the coordinators in the future win their first GF (especially if Jessie's going to be there), but Dawn at least has a good excuse and no it's none of things I mentioned earlier. It's simply this:

All known GF coordinator's are entering the GF for their first time, so Dawn should have an equal chance of winning the thing.

All other Leagues, and Grand Festival's had people who were experienced, more so than Ash or May.

Characters winning something in an anime - it's like a slap in the face! With balls.

Poke Balls.

I agree with everything dman_dustin said and I'll add this too:
Dawn is likely to leave at the end of the DP series... Ash, on the other hand, is likely to stay either forever or for at least another gen or two... and they constantly develope Ash's character over the years and make him slowly improve
It makes sense to give this win to Dawn before she leaves the show after all she went through (losing her confidence, getting her confidence back, learn to accept losing, overcome her fears, etc...) and also we know the writers did their best to make Dawn different than May so why not with the GF too? the writers also love to do the unexpected in DP so that's another thing
And most important is that we have the final promise... they didn't make a big deal of it for nothing

Oh and with the logic of "Dawn winning while Ash lose is an insult to Ash" (this sounds like something Scott would say XD ) then May already did it when she got Top 4 while Ash's best was Top 8
Stop with this insult crazines

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom