• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.
  • Please remember to keep spoilers about the new Pokemon games in their respective sections here and here.

Primal Reversion

Reaction score
Yes to both. However, in the fictional world Pokemon, what I say might not have weight since its timeline is constantly being changed by the developers (e.g. mega evolution and stones existence since R/B/G). If you need further convincing then compare Archen to Aerodactyl--it couldn't be clearer.
It's logical that mega-evolutions and mega-stones would exist in R/B/G because they were created and discovered 3000 years ago. They didn't change the timeline, they just did a little update with the mega-evolution timeline elements to make the hole thing more comprehensible.

Speaking of ancient and primal, we can say that all the fossils are ancient pokémon but the legendaries that had a role in the world's creation are primal pokemon cause they existed before and while the creation of the world.
Thank you for clarifying. I thought the developers shoehorned the explanation for the sake of introducing this new mechanic. As for the 'ancient' and 'primal' difference, again, thank you for rectifying my grammatical error with that illustration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince of Leonster
Reaction score
... Am I the only one that might think Devolution might be catering to their apparent fandom which thinks "KANTO LORD SUPREME BRING IT BACK"? I mean, think about it; Mega Evolution was often met with criticism by said fans, IRC, and Devolution sounds sort of like going back to the age of pixelated Charizards and Mewtwos sweeping teams. (Maybe they'll gain some new mechanic which switches their two special stats back to one). I mean, look at Groudon's new typing; Fire is easily the most popular type amongst genwunners, no?

(No offense to those who like Gen 1 the most but don't rag on about it, I'm stating an honest opinion)

Þæ åsåmste mæn ån þæ sæit
Reaction score
How is Fire most popular among genwunners?

The Devil of Paradise
Former BMGf Head Administrator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Any. Not picky
Mod note: please refrain from using the term genwunners and keep to the topic of primal reversion please. Thank you

SoFloFoSho
Reaction score
Staff Note: Final warning guys. Stay on-topic and keep it civil.

Reaction score
Holy crap, Primal Groudon is immune to Water type moves? Looks like the only type that can actually bring this thing down are ground type moves but not even that sounds hopeful since Groudon can end things with one solar beam.

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer
Reaction score
MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!!
Reaction score
My mouth has never dropped farther than when I found out that Desolate Land negates both Rain Dance and Water-type moves!

While it is out, Primal Groudon is essentially immune to Water-type moves. And when Primal Kyogre comes out with its Primordial Sea, Primal Groudon can easily switch out and start over the process.

Desolate Land is one of the best abilities in the game!!!

Not Dead
Reaction score
Nah, just give Primal Rayquaza Ozone, a super OP version of Air Lock which negates both abilities. That name, though... "Primordial Sea"!
You'd think that Air Lock itself would negate them. It wasn't mentioned as one of the abilities rendered ineffective. For that matter, neither was Cloud Nine.

Mega Gyarados should still be able to hit Primal Groudon with Waterfall or Aqua Tail due to Mold Breaker.

Too much water
Reaction score
Nah, just give Primal Rayquaza Ozone, a super OP version of Air Lock which negates both abilities. That name, though... "Primordial Sea"!
You'd think that Air Lock itself would negate them. It wasn't mentioned as one of the abilities rendered ineffective. For that matter, neither was Cloud Nine.
Neither sandstorm, but it doesn't mean it will work anyway.

Actually, Primals overriding Air Lock is a perfect excuse for a Primal/Mega Rayquaza new ability.

About Cloud Nine... a little derpy Psyduck nullifying two primal forces of nature is kinda... out of place. But it's something already seen, so dunno.

Reaction score

Mega Gyarados should still be able to hit Primal Groudon with Waterfall or Aqua Tail due to Mold Breaker.
Are you certain? Because the immunity is granted by the weather, not the ability, even though it's induced by it.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!!
Reaction score
Mold Breaker shouldn't work; it only affects abilities, not weather conditions.

Does Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados get a stronger Waterfall/Aqua Tail in Drought/sunlight? Nope. For that same reason, Mega Gyarados shouldn't be able to land any Water-type attacks in the harsh sunlight.

Not Dead
Reaction score
Are you certain? Because the immunity is granted by the weather, not the ability, even though it's induced by it.
I can't be sure, but it isn't normal weather. It is removed as soon as Primal Groudon is switched out.

Ziggy Stardust said:
Neither sandstorm, but it doesn't mean it will work anyway.
Sandstorm and Sand Stream are mentioned.

Last edited:
Nah, not possible.
Reaction score
Whether it's removed upon switch-out or not, those abilities look scary-OP. I can just see the competitive non-rating battles becoming primal weather slugfests.

The Possibly Fake
Reaction score
One thing that's always been on my mind, as something of an after-thought, is if Groudon and Kyogre's Primal Reversions are what they looked like in their original eras, then what is Mega Aerodactyl? As I'm sure that it was once stated that Mega Aerodactyl is what the species actually looked like back in prehistoric times.

Not Dead
Reaction score
One thing that's always been on my mind, as something of an after-thought, is if Groudon and Kyogre's Primal Reversions are what they looked like in their original eras,
That isn't quite the case. Judging from this page, Groudon and Kyogre first appeared in Hoenn as their normal selves and only later did they get more power via the overflowing energy.

Dignity Debuffer
Reaction score
One thing that's always been on my mind, as something of an after-thought, is if Groudon and Kyogre's Primal Reversions are what they looked like in their original eras, then what is Mega Aerodactyl? As I'm sure that it was once stated that Mega Aerodactyl is what the species actually looked like back in prehistoric times.
IIRC that's just what some researchers believe. Even so, we don't know that the Aerodactyl of the past were as powerful as Mega Aerodactyl. For all we know, ME could just happen to restore Aerodactyl's original appearance.

I'm probably just spouting nonsense though...

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer
Reaction score
IIRC that's just what some researchers believe. Even so, we don't know that the Aerodactyl of the past were as powerful as Mega Aerodactyl. For all we know, ME could just happen to restore Aerodactyl's original appearance.

I'm probably just spouting nonsense though...
You're right. It's only confirmed that it restores his prehistoric appearance, not his prehistoric power.

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Less useful for Kyogre since it resists fire, whilst Groudon would've been double weak to water being ground and fire. Which it should've been in the first place imo. I actually thought it was at first.