• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Primal Reversion

While I think future legendaries would get Mega Evolution variants like Primal Reversion, I am hoping that they aren't all called that because there could be more fitting names for them.

I'm wondering how Game Freak will actually handle future legendaries like Giratina who already has an Origin Forme. Considering that the item itself is a non-tradeable held item, it would be interesting to see whether Game Freak is up for a massive retcon and make Origin Giratina a Mega Evolution rather than an alternate form, with matching stats to boot.

I thought about what a Primal Giratina could be for a while. If Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre are really what their original power and forms were like when they were shaping the planet then perhaps Primal Giratina could be Giratina before it was banished to the Distortion world. Its rage and power must have been something really dangerous if it had to be locked away in another dimension while equally powerful Legendary Pokemon are able to run freely. It probably would have lost that power because of dormancy presumably similar to Groudon and Kyogre.

How about Primal Arceus with Protean as its ability?

...yeah, that would butcher competitive
Or an ability that let its Judgement hit every type for super-effective damage.

that's the kind of ability I'd like to see a potential Mega Unown get. ._.

I dunno...it'd make Arceus crazy OP, effectively giving it a base 300 attack with no drawbacks.

That, and Primal Arceus would completely overshadow all its other forms.
Judgment is Special btw. Arceus is supossed to be OP since it is the creator of the Pokemon Universe, so i'm completely fine if its broken.

Also, if Primal Reversion gives 100 stats points like Mega Evo, its Primal form will overshadow its other forms regardless of ability.

Exactly. Arceus is supposed to be the PokéGOD and Megatwo's forms completely outmatch it. But I think M-Arceus or P-Arceus should get bumped up 180 points, not 100. That would give it a BST of 900, with every stat being 150. Only fitting for the CREATOR OF THE POKéVERSE!

So uh, I know Arceus is clearly based off of the idea of creation Gods n stuff with the mythology and dex entries surrounding it, but at no point has it actually been outright claimed that Arceus did indeed create the universe, and is essentially Pokegod. Someone could make a myth of Castform creating the weather trio but that doesn't make the myth any true (yeah silly example but you get the point). There's also the whole 1000 arms theories, where the arceus we see is but only one of its many arms/hands.

We need a primal (or mega) of unown that changes it into its Greek alphabet equivalent, it will get a new ability that makes it so hidden power will be powered up to base 120 and always do super effective damage...what its the only way to save unown >.> but mega evolution suits it since the pokedex says they have a secret power (altough i think it says that when theres a bunch of them its released so...unowns mega will look like magneton?)

We need a primal (or mega) of unown that changes it into its Greek alphabet equivalent, it will get a new ability that makes it so hidden power will be powered up to base 120 and always do super effective damage...what its the only way to save unown >.> but mega evolution suits it since the pokedex says they have a secret power (altough i think it says that when theres a bunch of them its released so...unowns mega will look like magneton?)

Well, the HeartGold/SoulSilver Arceus event canonically linked Unown to the Creation Trio and Arceus itself. So they definitely need something to make them much more useful. Are there 26 characters in the Greek Alphabet? I know that in Spanish the "?" and "!" symbols are upside down in the beginning of a sentence, so maybe those two could be the "greek" equivalents for those forms.

I'd personally prefer if Origin forme Giritina was NOT retconned into a Megavolution. For the love of god, Origin forme is the main reason why I like that antimatter dragon so much! Without it, it's just... an awkward mix between a bat, a giraffe, a dinosaur and an insect.

I wouldn't mind, however, if the other three (Arceus, Dialga and Palkia) got megas. I recall a report in Platinum inside the Galactic HQ mentioning Dialga and Palkia, when captured in Pokeballs, lose their more potent time/space powers, and I'd imagine it's the same for Arceus. If their megas could restore some of that original power... they could become the forme they might take on when they're floating around in their own dimensions (remember those rifts that give off overwhelming feels of space/time at Spear Pillar? THOSE dimensions.) Arceus could gain a host of ethereal hands stretching from those golden spikes around its body, like how the Pokedex entries describe. Dialga and Palkia would get some stat changes and buffs similar to those Giritina gets when switching formes, plus an ability that maybe strengthens their steel/dragon or water/dragon moves respectively. Arceus would get far more drastic changes in stats, enough that it could outclass Mewtwo X and Y. what to do with its Ability, I cannot say...

If people ask why Giritina doesn't get a Mega, just tell them that its banishment to the Distortion World, where everything seems to be the opposite of the normal world, caused it to not get a Megavolution. Or just say it was the will/punishment of Arceus. Something kinda obscure and lore-muddled like that.

Oh my God oh my God.

Gaiz gaiz, they're using Emerald's plot! Kinda. It probably won't be acknowledged in game at all and is just here to make Mega Rayquaza make sense. But still, at least they're not ignoring it completely.

From Serebii:

It was a primal age, early in the world's history... The natural world was overflowing with energy. That energy granted Groudon and Kyogre an overwhelming power. Seeking ever more of that energy for themselves, the two clashed again and again, and their battles cast the people and Pokémon of Hoenn into great danger. Brimming with the overwhelming power granted by the energy of nature, this transformation was named by later people "Primal Reversion." And the people called their tormentors Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre.

One Pokémon looked down upon this battle from the sky above. The Pokémon that dances in the heavens: Rayquaza. Rayquaza is venerated by the people of Hoenn as their protector and savior. When Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre had battled for 20 dawns and 20 nights, the world began to lose its natural balance and tilt toward destruction. The people, unable to endure any more, cried out to their mighty savior Rayquaza before a great stone that shone with rainbow brilliance. And a change came upon Rayquaza, weaving in the sky above Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre. Suffused in brilliant light, its body began to transform visibly. And then...

HYPE

That legend is actually a bit more interesting than the Emerald plot ever was (not very). I think that we'll see a flashback to the original battle; Wallace/Steven will probably show up in the Sky Pillar to tell the player about Rayquaza's history, triggering an extended cutscene (much like the one for AZ's past).

I don't like this. How is Rayq not borne of primal energies like the other two? Why did they have to insist it be a Mega?

I don't like this. How is Rayq not borne of primal energies like the other two? Why did they have to insist it be a Mega?
Probably to highlight the fact that the people of Hoenn were the ones that pushed Rayquaza to unleash its power: "The people, unable to endure any more, cried out to their mighty savior Rayquaza before a great stone that shone with rainbow brilliance."

Primal Reversion is merely the result of drawing powers from the world's energy. It doesn't hinge on the Pokémon forging a bond with a trainer or people.

Last edited:
I'm going to read the above comments after I post this because being greek, I'm slightly intrigued with what I have found. So Rayquaza's mega has been revealed. Well, delta is primarily a star consolation, it can also be anything triangular (tri being 3rd, the 3rd in a trio. Relating to mathematics). Finally, this stands out to me most: a river delta is the point where a body of water meets the sea (triangularly respectively). Just thought I'd give my input, although in our greek language there is nothing else that relates Delta to having any link to evolution or anything like that lol. A body of water meeting the sea? Land ahoy? Sky? Delta Rayquaza, closest you will get lol.

That legend is actually a bit more interesting than the Emerald plot ever was (not very). I think that we'll see a flashback to the original battle; Wallace/Steven will probably show up in the Sky Pillar to tell the player about Rayquaza's history, triggering an extended cutscene (much like the one for AZ's past).

The Emerald plot was huge for me from a purely nostalgic perspective. I got into games late, so Emerald's cutscene with Rayquaza coming down to sort stuff out was really my first experience of plot in video games. I'm happy it's been preserved in some forme.

If Primal Reversion is only possible when a Pokemon absorbs natural energy, does this mean that there won't be any other Primal Pokemon?

Nature is the theme of Gen III, and no other Legendary Pokemon is as deeply entrenched in nature.

Last edited:
If Primal Reversion is only possible when a Pokemon absorbs natural energy, does this mean that there won't be any other Primal Pokemon?

Nature is the theme of Gen III, and no other Legendary Pokemon is as deeply entrenched in nature.

Not exactly. If you look at both of its Pokédex entries, you can clearly see that it's the guardian of the entire ecosystem and will draw upon a secret power if said ecosystem's balance were to become majorly imbalanced. So, at least Zygarde has a chance to make use of Primal Reversion if no one else does past 6th gen.

Besides, we've got Pokemon like Shaymin, Celebi, Landorus who are just as connected to nature as Groudon and Kyogre, if not even more so.

Edit: Also, don't forget Regigigas! He basically towed the continents, and both that moss on him and the Slow Start ability seems to indicate that it was more powerful in the past. Plus, with it being the trio-master of the Regis, it could have likely been around when the world was overflowing with energy.

Last edited:
Besides, we've got Pokemon like Shaymin, Celebi, Landorus who are just as connected to nature as Groudon and Kyogre, if not even more so.

Not really. Kyogre and Groudon's entire themes are controlling the weather. Shaymin, Landorus, and Celebi are connected with specific aspects on nature, but not nearly on that large of a scale compared to the Weather Trio. Besides, Landorus and Shaymin already have alternate formes.

Not really. Kyogre and Groudon's entire themes are controlling the weather. Shaymin, Landorus, and Celebi are connected with specific aspects on nature, but not nearly on that large of a scale compared to the Weather Trio. Besides, Landorus and Shaymin already have alternate formes.

Nothing to stop them expanding the definition though. Gamefreak have always been pretty relaxed about stuff like that. The important part of 'natural energy' is the energy bit, methinks. That's presumably what causes the glowing after all.

There's no reason not to see Celebi having a primal forme resulting from the 'forest's healing energies' or something. Likewise Giratina has 'lost dimensional energies'. Energy is such an incredibly broad term and I can see GF happily bending it to suit the plot.

Nothing to stop them expanding the definition though. Gamefreak have always been pretty relaxed about stuff like that. The important part of 'natural energy' is the energy bit, methinks. That's presumably what causes the glowing after all.

There's no reason not to see Celebi having a primal forme resulting from the 'forest's healing energies' or something. Likewise Giratina has 'lost dimensional energies'. Energy is such an incredibly broad term and I can see GF happily bending it to suit the plot.

I suppose. The way Primal forms seem to work though, it seems like it wouldn't really fit a Pokemon like Celebi. Groudon and Kyogre get power they once held before quelled by Rayquaza. Celebi doesn't seem to have anything similar that could fit that bill.

Kyogre and Groudon's entire themes are controlling the weather. Shaymin, Landorus, and Celebi are connected with specific aspects on nature, but not nearly on that large of a scale compared to the Weather Trio. Besides, Landorus and Shaymin already have alternate formes.

You made a good point there, especially with Shaymin and Landorus having alternate forms. However, no matter how small their connection to nature is, they do have a connection to it. It may not be to the extent of the Weather Trio, but I could still see them getting some kind of power boost from nature.

While I do agree that GF could definitely expand the definition in the future, and that Celebi could draw natural energy from the forest, I'm not sure I agree with your other points. First off, the important part of "natural energy" isn't really the energy part. Otherwise Groudon and Kyogre could have just drawn apart any source of energy and achieve the same result.Even though I do agree that energy is a broad term, and that GF could just use different kinds of energies to give more legendaries glorified Mega Evolutions, it just wouldn't be Primal Reversion anymore without it being "natural energy." Until they expand the definition of Primal Reversion, I'll stand by this belief.

The way Primal forms seem to work though, it seems like it wouldn't really fit a Pokemon like Celebi. Groudon and Kyogre get power they once held before quelled by Rayquaza. Celebi doesn't seem to have anything similar that could fit that bill.

Just because Groudon and Kyogre had their powers sealed by Rayquaza doesn't mean that it sealed all of the primal energy from that time period. Whose to say that other legendaries didn't draw upon this power during the primal age. Also, whose to they that those legendaries didn't get their powers reduced as well? Heck, I'm going to bring up my Regigigas example again. It was dormant for quite some time, and the moss growing on it coupled with the Slow Start ability clearly indicates that it used to be stronger in the past. For all we know, it could have been one of those other Pokémon that drew upon the primal energy of the time.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom