• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Primal Reversion

Necrozma

Formerly known as Tsu
Reaction score
Serebii:

Groudon & Kyogre's new "Mega Evolutions" are known as Primal/Prehistoric/Primeval Groudon & Primal/Prehistoric/Primeval Kyogre and are said to be a regression called Ancient Devolution.

Something new related to Mega Evolution? Or something exclusive to Hoenn legends?

Re: Ancient Devolution?

Unsurprisingly I was right, they are the original appearances. I'm assuming the other mascot legends will get these eventually too.

Makes sense, Kyogre and Groudon are often associated with the word 'ancient'. I'm betting that it'll be a power-up, as in their ancient forms Kyogre and Groudon probably had a lot of Potential Energy, having not of used it up making the land and ocean full and clashing with each other. Hence, a short burst of Potential Energy is built up, and let out, resorting in something quite like Mega Evolution, but not quite.

As for any possible others, I'm betting on Rayquaza, Regigigas and Genesect. Rayquaza makes sense since the other two are getting, and in the ancient times, it wouldn't of wasted all its energy on calming Kyogre and Groudon. Regigigas is a Pokemon so old, it towed the continents after Groudon and Kyogre shaped them, so it seems like Regigigas will appear, as it's also related to the Reggies. It has Slow Start due to resting so long, and moss has started to grow on it. Unlike the others, I can see Ancient Regigigas being a power-down, but in turn, replacing Slow-Start with something else. Ten irony points if it boosts speed in general or in ability. Genesect is so obvious. It was ressurected from an ancient fossil and modified into a whole new killing machine, but I'm sure a lot of us would want to see an Ancient Genesect, the predator of the past. Probably pure Bug, Bug/Rock, or another type.

The whole idea of putting something back to its original state sounds like Fossils... Could they be related.

Also, I will die fanboying if we can get the Original Dragon via Ancient Devolution XD

Wait a minute! Mega Aerodactyl is said to have been hypothesized by scientists to be Aerodactyl's original form! Could Mega Aerodactyl relate to Ancient Devolution?

Heck, perhaps all the Mega Evolutions are! This is a wild theory, but what about, when the Ultimate Weapon was fired, it killed many things, took their energy... What if the Ultimate Machine sapped power from Pokemon of that period, and then stored it as Mega Stones!? Then, Ancient Devolution is a more primal equivalent of Mega Evolution, as Kyogre, Groudon, most other legends and Aerodactyl went extinct/into rest before this! We've seen that Pokemon can mutate and weaken, like Magikarp! Funnily enough, Gyarados has a Mega Evolution!

It seems that just as Mega Evolutions have 'Mega ________' as their name, Ancient Devolutions have 'Primal ________'.

Does a legend with Primal in front of it sound familiar? Reverting to something? Yes, it does! Primal Dialga! Primal Dialga reverted to a thoughtless, speechless beast who fought only to survive.

Primal Dialga, similar to Primal/Primevil/Ancient Kyogre and Groudon, has glowing outlines, and eyes changed color. Could we see a slightly redesigned Primal Dialga as an Ancient Devolution? Was it perhaps a inspiration? And could Giratina-O draw into this? Find out next wee-

Oh wait, wrong media.

Very interesting... so it's MegaEvolution but with a different name. I'm pretty intrigued. Here's hoping Rayquaza is just as lucky.

Actually, I'd love to see something happen to the Regis. They're weird as all hell, but I would like to see a little more of their tie-in with Regigigas. I mean, I know Regigigas made them, but may they could ME into... some sort of hulking blobs? I'm rambling at this point but I think the Regis are somewhat forgotten in the world of legendaries.

Anyone think that AD Kyogre and Groudon will have different abilities? I think not, considering how Drizzle and Drought are so integral to their legend.

The fact that they're "regressions" is interesting - maybe it is a return to their former power, like how they battled eons ago and formed the seas and continents? That's an interesting idea.

After all, regression, when you look at the definition, doesn't necessarily have to mean a negative change.

Mega Aerodactyl - Aerodactyl has been studied extensively by Kalosian scientists. Assumed to be Aerodactyl's prehistoric form by scientists, but is labeled a Mega Evolution.

Prehistoric Groudon and Kyogre - Nobody knows what Groudon or Kyogre look like. Nobody has the opportunity to study them up closely. Labeled Prehistoric Pokemon. Okay...

Anyone think that AD Kyogre and Groudon will have different abilities? I think not, considering how Drizzle and Drought are so integral to their legend.

I agree, I think it's too specific to them to be changed, and to be honest, I'd prefer if they did stay the same.

Maybe when in their 'AD' stage, in battle, Drought and Drizzle are maintained throughout the battle? That would be pretty cool, a little personal thing for them to call their own lol.

Sounds like lower stats D:

Probably them gone crazy and primal after exposure to the wrong orb. Or powered up by the right one. I dunno

If it's a regression, does that mean lowered stats? And if its vice versa, then that is odd in and of itself. Why would they become weaker over time then, in their current forms?

Also will Devolution be a thing now? To go back to your previous stage? I sure hope not. And that has Digimon written all over it.

Very interesting... so it's MegaEvolution but with a different name. I'm pretty intrigued. Here's hoping Rayquaza is just as lucky.

Actually, I'd love to see something happen to the Regis. They're weird as all hell, but I would like to see a little more of their tie-in with Regigigas. I mean, I know Regigigas made them, but may they could ME into... some sort of hulking blobs? I'm rambling at this point but I think the Regis are somewhat forgotten in the world of legendaries.

AN ability that makes drought/drizzle permanent in battle making it unique to them.

I agree, I think it's too specific to them to be changed, and to be honest, I'd prefer if they did stay the same.

Maybe when in their 'AD' stage, in battle, Drought and Drizzle are maintained throughout the battle? That would be pretty cool, a little personal thing for them to call their own lol.

AN ability that makes drought/drizzle permanent in battle making it unique to them.

Now that would be awesome, considering how everything was nerfed... so maybe they'll go from Drought and Drizzle to Dessicate and Monsoon? That'd be pretty rad.

If it's a regression, does that mean lowered stats? And if its vice versa, then that is odd in and of itself. Why would they become weaker over time then, in their current forms?

Also will Devolution be a thing now? To go back to your previous stage? I sure hope not. And that has Digimon written all over it.

Humans as a species have become much weaker after we started inventing machines and stuff. And we all grow weaker as we age beyond 25-ish.

And this is Japan were The Original True Form usually are superior to the new one, like with Mega Aerodactyle.

Now that would be awesome, considering how everything was nerfed... so maybe they'll go from Drought and Drizzle to Dessicate and Monsoon? That'd be pretty rad.

Makes sense if we go with they got weaker as time went on, but these forms restore their original power which they literally would if those abilitys are a thing

If it helps, evolving and devolving again has already been added in by Mega Evolution, and that's exclusive to Mega Evolution. It will probably be the same.

I think what they are going for is the implication that in ancient times things were much more powerful, and that power has been trapped inside the Pokemon and these stones, and releasing them returns them to their natural ancient state. It's like suggesting that the current mascots are the domesticated versions of their natural wild selves, like dogs and wolves in real life. This would fit more with the myths and legends of being able to raise oceans or expand the land, but no longer having that ability.

It's the classic releasing the real you that is lying dormant.

It would be interesting if this would imply that all Mega Evolutions are in fact the original natural state of Pokemon, which has just been trapped inside their bodies waiting to be released.

If it helps, evolving and devolving again has already been added in by Mega Evolution, and that's exclusive to Mega Evolution. It will probably be the same.

Oh, good point. Yeah, that captures that aspect very well. I was referring to let's say a Pikachu devolving back into a Pichu. But you're right in that devolution already exists explicitly with Mega Evolution.

Then that leaves the question why is Kyogre and Groudons's Mega Evolution seen as a regression whereas every other Pokemon's is seen as an advancement?

Because they're back to their automaton "MAKE SEA. DRY SEA. MAKE SEA. DRY SEA." instead of having developed any sort of rationale beyond mere instinct maybe?

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom