• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Primal Reversion

Re: Ancient Devolution?

A return to their older self when they clashed the first time. I'm getting "the legend returns" vibes here.

Technically they're reverting to their younger selves since they're going backwards in time to what they used to be. Perhaps that's why they're called Primal pokemon, they're returning to their prime/peak of their strength.

Now I'm curious what the creation trio will be like if they receive this power and maybe we will finally see what the original Unova dragon is like if Kyurem gets it too.

Makes sense, Kyogre and Groudon are often associated with the word 'ancient'. I'm betting that it'll be a power-up, as in their ancient forms Kyogre and Groudon probably had a lot of Potential Energy, having not of used it up making the land and ocean full and clashing with each other. Hence, a short burst of Potential Energy is built up, and let out, resorting in something quite like Mega Evolution, but not quite.

As for any possible others, I'm betting on Rayquaza, Regigigas and Genesect. Rayquaza makes sense since the other two are getting, and in the ancient times, it wouldn't of wasted all its energy on calming Kyogre and Groudon. Regigigas is a Pokemon so old, it towed the continents after Groudon and Kyogre shaped them, so it seems like Regigigas will appear, as it's also related to the Reggies. It has Slow Start due to resting so long, and moss has started to grow on it. Unlike the others, I can see Ancient Regigigas being a power-down, but in turn, replacing Slow-Start with something else. Ten irony points if it boosts speed in general or in ability. Genesect is so obvious. It was ressurected from an ancient fossil and modified into a whole new killing machine, but I'm sure a lot of us would want to see an Ancient Genesect, the predator of the past. Probably pure Bug, Bug/Rock, or another type.

The whole idea of putting something back to its original state sounds like Fossils... Could they be related.

Also, I will die fanboying if we can get the Original Dragon via Ancient Devolution XD

To get the original dragon, you'd need to fuse Kyurem with both Zekrom and Reshiram at once. We'd never get that unless the DNA Splicers got a major overhaul.

Pokémon I could see getting an Ancient Devolution:
Magikarp/Gyarados: Magikarp's Pokédex entries state its ancient ancestors were far more powerful than it is today. Safe to assume so were ancient Gyarados and the Mega Evolution makes up for that.
Mew
Rayquaza
Regigigas
Arceus/Dialga/Palkia/Giratina/Uxie/Azelf/Mesprit: the first Pokémon ever have all certainly changed over time
Meloetta (complete with Ruby Slippers)
Genesect (reverting to its original form)
Already exists. i'mjokingbecausekabutopsisnotgenesect

A return to their older self when they clashed the first time. I'm getting "the legend returns" vibes here.

Technically they're reverting to their younger selves since they're going backwards in time to what they used to be. Perhaps that's why they're called Primal pokemon, they're returning to their prime/peak of their strength.

Now I'm curious what the creation trio will be like if they receive this power and maybe we will finally see what the original Unova dragon is like if Kyurem gets it too.
I don't believe it was confirmed that Kyurem is the Original Dragon itself, just what was leftover from Reshiram and Zekrom. Besides, that'd almost completely defeat the purpose of Black/White Kyurem.
Makes sense, Kyogre and Groudon are often associated with the word 'ancient'. I'm betting that it'll be a power-up, as in their ancient forms Kyogre and Groudon probably had a lot of Potential Energy, having not of used it up making the land and ocean full and clashing with each other. Hence, a short burst of Potential Energy is built up, and let out, resorting in something quite like Mega Evolution, but not quite.

As for any possible others, I'm betting on Rayquaza, Regigigas and Genesect. Rayquaza makes sense since the other two are getting, and in the ancient times, it wouldn't of wasted all its energy on calming Kyogre and Groudon. Regigigas is a Pokemon so old, it towed the continents after Groudon and Kyogre shaped them, so it seems like Regigigas will appear, as it's also related to the Reggies. It has Slow Start due to resting so long, and moss has started to grow on it. Unlike the others, I can see Ancient Regigigas being a power-down, but in turn, replacing Slow-Start with something else. Ten irony points if it boosts speed in general or in ability. Genesect is so obvious. It was ressurected from an ancient fossil and modified into a whole new killing machine, but I'm sure a lot of us would want to see an Ancient Genesect, the predator of the past. Probably pure Bug, Bug/Rock, or another type.

The whole idea of putting something back to its original state sounds like Fossils... Could they be related.

Also, I will die fanboying if we can get the Original Dragon via Ancient Devolution XD

To get the original dragon, you'd need to fuse Kyurem with both Zekrom and Reshiram at once. We'd never get that unless the DNA Splicers got a major overhaul.

Magikarp/Gyarados: Magikarp's Pokédex entries state its ancient ancestors were far more powerful than it is today. Safe to assume so were ancient Gyarados and the Mega Evolution makes up for that.
Mew
Rayquaza
Regigigas
Arceus/Dialga/Palkia/Giratina/Uxie/Azelf/Mesprit: the first Pokémon ever have all certainly changed over time
Already exists.
I...don't think so.

Mew
Rayquaza
Regigigas
Already exists.
I...don't think so.
didntunderstandthejoke check the edit.

Re: Ancient Devolution/Primal Reversion

I'm quite surprised by the significant size change that the Primal versions undertake when they go Primal.

It does make sense for the Primal forms to be more brutal and wild, but going by pcitures from the main OR/AS site...damn, Primal Kyogre is twice as large as his original form.

So this is why they glow in their new transformations. Sounds reasonable to have Rayquaza also have this but other Legendaries should not have it really since not all Legendary Pokémon should power up a la Super Saiyan in order to have more power.

So this is why they glow in their new transformations. Sounds reasonable to have Rayquaza also have this but other Legendaries should not have it really since not all Legendary Pokémon should power up a la Super Saiyan in order to have more power.

I htink Dialga and Palkia should, because of Primal Dialga from PMD. I know that's not a good reason, but I still want it XD.

I htink Dialga and Palkia should, because of Primal Dialga from PMD. I know that's not a good reason, but I still want it XD.

I doubt it.
Bulbapedia said:
Primal Dialga (Japanese: やみのディアルガ Dark Dialga)
It's simply a coincidence they're called the same thing in the English games.

Ellron said:
I think Dialga and Palkia should, because of Primal Dialga from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness & Time.I know that's not a good reason, but I still want it XD.

Well Primal Dialga was from an alternative timeline while Groudon & Kyogre's transformations are apparently what they looked like before they where forcedly put to sleep by Rayquaza.
Also the Time Gears from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky,Darkness and Time don't exist in the main continuity

Edit:
Ellron said:
I can dream, can't I?
Yes you can and I still think it's unlikely Primal Dialga will appear in a main series video game because he/it only appeared in three spin-off games.

Last edited:

I doubt it.
Bulbapedia said:

Ellron said:
I think Dialga and Palkia should, because of Primal Dialga from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness & Time.I know that's not a good reason, but I still want it XD.

Well Primal Dialga was from an alternative timeline while Groudon & Kyogre's transformations are apparently what they looked like before they where forcedly put to sleep by Rayquaza.
Also the Time Gears from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky,Darkness and Time don't exist in the main continuity

Yeah, I know, but I can dream, right? :p

Yeah, either Electric or Ice, I mean come on, Kyogre's signature move is SHEER COLD. An ICE-TYPE MOVE. I always thought originally Groudon should've been Ground/Fire and Kyogre should've been Water/Ice.

Sheer Cold isn't Kyogres signature.

It basically is. Groudon got Fissure and Kyogre got Sheer Cold. Nobody said signature moves were necessarily exclusive moves.
Signature move is a move that only a SINGLE (the rare case of a group having a signature move was the Swords of Justice but no longer) pokemon, as soon as other pokemon can learn it stops being a signature move, so no Fissure and Sheer Cold are not and never were the signature moves of Kyogre and Groudon because other pokemon can learn them.

Gotta disagree. Leaf Blade is learned by other Pokemon but that doesn't mean it isn't Sceptile's signature move. Signature move can also mean a move a Pokemon is most associated with. Smeargle learns every move so no move is exclusive to one Pokemon. On the signature move page Bulbapedia has a list of moves that are most associated with certain Pokemon.

Yeah, either Electric or Ice, I mean come on, Kyogre's signature move is SHEER COLD. An ICE-TYPE MOVE. I always thought originally Groudon should've been Ground/Fire and Kyogre should've been Water/Ice.

Sheer Cold isn't Kyogres signature.

It basically is. Groudon got Fissure and Kyogre got Sheer Cold. Nobody said signature moves were necessarily exclusive moves.
Signature move is a move that only a SINGLE (the rare case of a group having a signature move was the Swords of Justice but no longer) pokemon, as soon as other pokemon can learn it stops being a signature move, so no Fissure and Sheer Cold are not and never were the signature moves of Kyogre and Groudon because other pokemon can learn them.

Gotta disagree. Leaf Blade is learned by other Pokemon but that doesn't mean it isn't Sceptile's signature move. Signature move can also mean a move a Pokemon is most associated with. Smeargle learns every move so no move is exclusive to one Pokemon. On the signature move page Bulbapedia has a list of moves that are most associated with certain Pokemon.
"In the Pokémon fandom, the term signature move is often used to refer to a move that can only be learned by a single Pokémon or its evolutionary relatives usually in the same evolutionary line."

The first thing on that page, it's a move that only a SINGLE pokemon can learn NATURALLY, Smeargle doesn't count since it can learn anything except Chatter. And i think you misread that page, that page doesn't show which signature moves are associated with what pokemon, it shows when a move was a signature move in their respective generations and which pokemon had that signature move, Leaf Blade stopped being Sceptile's signature move in Gen 4.

Last edited:

"In the Pokémon fandom, the term signature move is often used to refer to a move that can only be learned by a single Pokémon or its evolutionary relatives usually in the same evolutionary line."

The first thing on that page, it's a move that only a SINGLE pokemon can learn NATURALLY, Smeargle doesn't count since it can learn anything except Chatter. And i think you misread that page, that page doesn't which signature moves are associated with what pokemon, it shows when a move was a signature move in their respective generations and which pokemon had that signature move, Leaf Blade stopped being Sceptile's signature move in Gen 4.

It says it's often used to refer to a move that's only used by a single pokemon, and that's just by the fandom. Not that it absolutely the final term officially, and it's official definition.

If the case was that it was, without a doubt, only and soley used to describe that, this conversation wouldn't even be happening.

So, once again. It says Often is, not Is.

Last edited:

Yo, just a reminder to keep the conversation relevant to the thread topic and to keep everything friendly. No need to be snippy, we're all here to have fun!

I do not know about you guys, but as soon as I read ancient devolution I thought of digivolution xd

obvious joke is obvious

But seriously, what's up with the digimon refrences? Wait for GF to introduce Mega Lucario. Aura mode, Mega Char-blaze mode and Mega Primal Kyogre- uber breaking mode.

Last edited:

Can Primal Dialga in PMD be related to Primal Devolution?

Doubtful. (I use that word waaaaay too often. XD)
Bulbapedia said:

Of course, I believe Rayquaza will get a Primal form, but that's really about it.

So Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon are caused by Darkrai?

And that big black cave above Fortree ... Darkrai confirmed.

Last edited:

You can see at end of this page that there's only two more Primal Pokemon to be revealed.

グラードン | 『ポケットモンスター オメガルビー』『ポケットモンスター アルファサファイア』公式サイト

So, the third is going to be Rayquaza without any doubt but who's going to be the forth one ? Regigigas ? Because he's also kind of colossal and ancient pokémon.

Primal Regigigas without Slow Start would make a lot of sense.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom