• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Primal Reversion

Re: Ancient Devolution/Primal Reversion

Not sure if someones already mentioned this but in the screenshots on serrebii i saw a red orb with the omega symbol, and a blue orb with alpha symbol,both one the respective pokemon,has that been mentioned?

Other than having a different name in Japanese (やみのディアルガ Dark Dialga), Primal Dialga is a Dialga (or the Dialga) that lost control of its ability to control time after the collapse of the Temporal Tower, basically changing into a lesser, weaker (and more chaotic) state.

Primal Groudon/Kyogre is about changing into a greater, stronger state (perhaps from the past, but Outrage's post about them taking in this "world energy" makes me think it's not the case), so the two Primal names have no relation whatsoever. It's another example of "that's English localization to you".

Anyway, Regigigas getting a Primal form... I would totally be okay with that.

You can see at end of this page that there's only two more Primal Pokemon to be revealed.

グラードン | 『ポケットモンスター オメガルビー』『ポケットモンスター アルファサファイア』公式サイト

So, the third is going to be Rayquaza without any doubt but who's going to be the forth one ? Regigigas ? Because he's also kind of colossal and ancient pokémon.
That section is for Pokémon in general, though. There is no guarantee that it will only cover Primal Reversion.

In wolf packs, the Omega one is the weaker one, while the alpha wolf is the stronger one. I think they made omega groudon to be in great disadvantage against alpha kyogre on porpouse. Kyogre somewhat won( or was winning) their fight in the past, thats why theres more ocean than landmass. Also, i think that " absorbing energy from nature"mean that they're personifications of magma/ landmass and ocean themselves. Maybe the fight ancient people and pokemon witnessed wasnt the first one, and kyogre and groudon fought many times, and rayquaza had always put them to sleep, so they return to the weaker state we have always known. So, all landmass and all oceans in pokemon world were created by kyogre's and groudon's powers, and thats why they can absorb the energy , which was their energy to begin with.

So I just looked at the official website...

I know this has been expressed before, but Primal Kyogre is huge! I mean wow. If Ancient Devolution is a form of Mega Evolution, it wins title for most drastic transformation hands down.

So I just looked at the official website...

I know this has been expressed before, but Primal Kyogre is huge! I mean wow. If Ancient Devolution is a form of Mega Evolution, it wins title for most drastic transformation hands down.

Specifically, it's about Wailord big. It's two thirds the height of Wailord, but it's a much much flatter pokemon. Its wingspan means it'll be wider than Wailord for certain. Not sure about the length; I think they're about the same.

Okay, does anyone else think that Primal Reversion is going to have something else that distinguishes itself from Mega Evolution? I Morimoto has said that there will a a game-changing feature in ORAS, and that wouldn't necessarily be true if Primal Reversion were just glorified Mega Evolutions that differ only for story-related reasons. So, I'll start by quoting The Outrage...

Primal Reversion is being linked to Mega Evolution, and I've seen people conclude that this meant Mega Pokemon are the "original state" of those species. Apparently, the Japanese site updated with a few legends for the Hoenn Legendaries. Here's a post on tumblr translating them.

Long ago. Pokemon endowed with mighty power appeared in Hoenn. These two Pokemon subsequently came to be known as Groudon and Kyogre.
With a roar, Groudon made the earth rise up and the land spread far. The sun beat down upon it, and all around it was engulfed in scorching heat.
With a roar, Kyogre made the waters begin to overflow, and the sea spread far. All around the dark clouds enshrouded, and the torrents did not cease to pour.

There is more to the legend of these Pokemon….

The Paleolithic Age—-.
There is energy flowing throughout the natural world, and that energy brought Groudon and Kyogre overwhelming power.
These two, demanding ever more of the energy, often clashed with each other again and again, putting the people and Pokemon of Hoenn’s lives greatly in jeopardy.
When these two Pokemon became full of overwhelming power from this natural energy, future generations came to describe this state as Primal Recursion, and each of their forms were called “Primal Groudon” and “Primal Kyogre.”

So it seems that Primal Reversion isn't returning to their original state, but taking in the world's natural energies. Perhaps Mega Evolution is related by allowing Pokemon to tap into this "world energy" through the connection created by the Keystone and Mega Stone.

Following The Outrage's idea of Groudon and Keyogre borrowing the "world energy" to become these savage giants, do you know who else is e=said to use ecosystem powers? Zygarde! Also, notice how Zygarde has two hidden signature moves, Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves. In line with this thought, Groudon and Kyogre seems to have new moves in the recent trailer, which fans speculate to be thier new signature moves. Add to the fact that the website seems to be indicating that Groudon's and Kyopgre's abilities will be enhanced by Primal Reversion, I have come to an interesting theory:

What if Primal Reversion is used to power up a Pokémon's abilities and/or change their moves? It fits with Zygarde's Pokédex entry and those new signature moves, as well as the website statement about Groudon and Kyogre's abilities. I think that, given the evidence that we have, this would be a great way to distinguish Primal Reversion from Mega Evolution! What do you guys think?

Not sure if this is the right place to talk about this or not, but I figured this thread sounded good enough.

When I hear that the abilities of Groudon and Kyogre will be upgraded in these new forms, I'm thinking they're just going to be permanent weather conditions since they've make Drizzle and Drought last only 5 turns now.

Following The Outrage's idea of Groudon and Keyogre borrowing the "world energy" to become these savage giants, do you know who else is e=said to use ecosystem powers? Zygarde! Also, notice how Zygarde has two hidden signature moves, Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves. In line with this thought, Groudon and Kyogre seems to have new moves in the recent trailer, which fans speculate to be thier new signature moves. Add to the fact that the website seems to be indicating that Groudon's and Kyopgre's abilities will be enhanced by Primal Reversion, I have come to an interesting theory:

What if Primal Reversion is used to power up a Pokémon's abilities and/or change their moves? It fits with Zygarde's Pokédex entry and those new signature moves, as well as the website statement about Groudon and Kyogre's abilities. I think that, given the evidence that we have, this would be a great way to distinguish Primal Reversion from Mega Evolution! What do you guys think?

Quite like that! Think it's plausible. Land's Wrath is very similar to its signature moves - in fact, it's the same, only without special effects.

I'd also note that, looking at Xerneas and Yveltal, I don't even know if they'd need to introduce new items for Zygarde. Thousand Arrows is clearly designed to shaft Yveltal - maybe you pop a blue orb on Zygarde and he becomes Yveltal's nemesis. Thousand Waves is (presumably, by process of elimination) for Xerneas, so give Zygarde a red orb and he'll become Xerneas' counterpart. Nice symmetry.

EDIT: Also, one negates the other! Just realised. You're facing Zygarde, and you suspect he's got Land's Wrath, but you have no idea which orb (or whatever) he's holding. You could switch to a flying type to try and avoid getting trapped... but he might turn blue and fire Thousand Arrows at you! Or if you think he's going to ground you, you might want to switch to a ground type, and then find you're locked in. Yes, I am very confident you're right.

Last edited:
I was thinking about what other pokemon could receive Primal Reversions and the first one that came to mind was Relicanth. I thought it would be interesting to see what it was like during ancient times before it stopped changing into the Relicanth that has existed for over 100,000,000 years.

I also considered fossil pokemon as well. I thought that they could be similar to Mega Aerodactyl.
When Aerodactyl Mega Evolves, its body begins to turn to stone, which, according to some researchers, was how it looked before it fossilized.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Aerodactyl_(Pok%C3%A9mon)#Biology
However I was thinking that the Primal Reversions would be how they looked before they were fossilized. This would mean that we could also have a Primal Aerodactyl that has an alternative appearance to Mega Aerodactyl. It could be explained that other researchers were trying to unravel the mysteries of Primal Reversion and discovered Primal Aerodactyl, they believed that, as the names suggest, the Mega Evolution is in fact the evolution of Aerodactyl using it's hidden potential whereas it's Primal Reversion is returning it's lost power so that it looks like how had done before being fossilized.

Also reveal what's a fossil pokemon's second or first type is--provided there is one--since Rock is a placeholder to that DNA strand lost during fossilization.

Last edited:
I was thinking about what other pokemon could receive Primal Reversions and the first one that came to mind was Relicanth. I thought it would be interesting to see what it was like during ancient times before it stopped changing into the Relicanth that has existed for over 100,000,000 years.

I also considered fossil pokemon as well. I thought that they could be similar to Mega Aerodactyl.
When Aerodactyl Mega Evolves, its body begins to turn to stone, which, according to some researchers, was how it looked before it fossilized.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Aerodactyl_(Pok%C3%A9mon)#Biology
However I was thinking that the Primal Reversions would be how they looked before they were fossilized. This would mean that we could also have a Primal Aerodactyl that has an alternative appearance to Mega Aerodactyl. It could be explained that other researchers were trying to unravel the mysteries of Primal Reversion and discovered Primal Aerodactyl, they believed that, as the names suggest, the Mega Evolution is in fact the evolution of Aerodactyl using it's hidden potential whereas it's Primal Reversion is returning it's lost power so that it looks like how had done before being fossilized.

Also reveal what's a fossil pokemon's second or first type is--provided there is one--since Rock is a placeholder to that DNA strand lost during fossilization.

Both of those things NEED to be done! Also, don't forget about Genesect.

But guys, we already know that ancient genesect is Kabutops!
Jk, but seriously i think were on to something with the conmection to fossil pokemon. After all they would have been different in their times than we see them today.

I think people are mistaken 'Primal' for 'Ancient'. Yes, the fossil pokemon are extraordinarily old, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are from Primal times.

I think people are mistaken 'Primal' for 'Ancient'. Yes, the fossil pokemon are extraordinarily old, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are from Primal times.

an·cient [ áynshənt ]

old: very old
of distant past: belonging to the distant past, especially to the time before the collapse of the Western Roman Empire in ad 476
somebody from past civilization: a member of a civilization of the distant past

pri·mal [ prī́m'l ]

original: first or earliest, and often basic
basic: most significant and primary

Where's the confusion? They're practically one in the same.

an·cient [ áynshənt ]

of distant past: belonging to the distant past, especially to the time before the collapse of the Western Roman Empire in ad 476

pri·mal [ prī́m'l ]

So everything that is ancient should be considered primal then? And anything that is the distant past is the earliest point it can be?

Just because something is very old, does not mean that it is from the earliest point.

an·cient [ áynshənt ]

pri·mal [ prī́m'l ]

So everything that is ancient should be considered primal then? And anything that is the distant past is the earliest point it can be?

Just because something is very old, does not mean that it is from the earliest point.

Yes to both. However, in the fictional world Pokemon, what I say might not have weight since its timeline is constantly being changed by the developers (e.g. mega evolution and stones existence since R/B/G). If you need further convincing then compare Archen to Aerodactyl--it couldn't be clearer.

Last edited:
Yes to both.

No, just no. Your grasp of history is greatly off here. Even your own provided definitions disprove what your say here. Primal, in context, is the earliest point in or original, buy your definition. Anceint just means very old, the former could be considered apart of the latter but not the other way round. The fact that you can even say this when looking at your own definitions shows that you either don't know hat your talking about or just plain don't have a grasp of the language your trying to speak.

If you need further convincing then compare Archen to Aerodactyl--it couldn't be clearer.

How does this contribute to the Ancient = Primal. The only way this has any relevance is if, using the 'original' meaning of Primal would be that Archen is the 'Primal Bird/Original Bird' of the pokemon world. So please elaborate on what your trying to say here because it offers literally nothing to the discussion as is.

Yes to both. However, in the fictional world Pokemon, what I say might not have weight since its timeline is constantly being changed by the developers (e.g. mega evolution and stones existence since R/B/G). If you need further convincing then compare Archen to Aerodactyl--it couldn't be clearer.

It's logical that mega-evolutions and mega-stones would exist in R/B/G because they were created and discovered 3000 years ago. They didn't change the timeline, they just did a little update with the mega-evolution timeline elements to make the hole thing more comprehensible.

Speaking of ancient and primal, we can say that all the fossils are ancient pokémon but the legendaries that had a role in the world's creation are primal pokemon cause they existed before and while the creation of the world.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom