• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Primal Reversion

Yes to both. However, in the fictional world Pokemon, what I say might not have weight since its timeline is constantly being changed by the developers (e.g. mega evolution and stones existence since R/B/G). If you need further convincing then compare Archen to Aerodactyl--it couldn't be clearer.

It's logical that mega-evolutions and mega-stones would exist in R/B/G because they were created and discovered 3000 years ago. They didn't change the timeline, they just did a little update with the mega-evolution timeline elements to make the hole thing more comprehensible.

Speaking of ancient and primal, we can say that all the fossils are ancient pokémon but the legendaries that had a role in the world's creation are primal pokemon cause they existed before and while the creation of the world.

Thank you for clarifying. I thought the developers shoehorned the explanation for the sake of introducing this new mechanic. As for the 'ancient' and 'primal' difference, again, thank you for rectifying my grammatical error with that illustration.

Last edited by a moderator:
... Am I the only one that might think Devolution might be catering to their apparent fandom which thinks "KANTO LORD SUPREME BRING IT BACK"? I mean, think about it; Mega Evolution was often met with criticism by said fans, IRC, and Devolution sounds sort of like going back to the age of pixelated Charizards and Mewtwos sweeping teams. (Maybe they'll gain some new mechanic which switches their two special stats back to one). I mean, look at Groudon's new typing; Fire is easily the most popular type amongst genwunners, no?

(No offense to those who like Gen 1 the most but don't rag on about it, I'm stating an honest opinion)

Holy crap, Primal Groudon is immune to Water type moves? Looks like the only type that can actually bring this thing down are ground type moves but not even that sounds hopeful since Groudon can end things with one solar beam.

My mouth has never dropped farther than when I found out that Desolate Land negates both Rain Dance and Water-type moves!

While it is out, Primal Groudon is essentially immune to Water-type moves. And when Primal Kyogre comes out with its Primordial Sea, Primal Groudon can easily switch out and start over the process.

Desolate Land is one of the best abilities in the game!!!

Nah, just give Primal Rayquaza Ozone, a super OP version of Air Lock which negates both abilities. That name, though... "Primordial Sea"!
You'd think that Air Lock itself would negate them. It wasn't mentioned as one of the abilities rendered ineffective. For that matter, neither was Cloud Nine.

Mega Gyarados should still be able to hit Primal Groudon with Waterfall or Aqua Tail due to Mold Breaker.

Nah, just give Primal Rayquaza Ozone, a super OP version of Air Lock which negates both abilities. That name, though... "Primordial Sea"!
You'd think that Air Lock itself would negate them. It wasn't mentioned as one of the abilities rendered ineffective. For that matter, neither was Cloud Nine.

Neither sandstorm, but it doesn't mean it will work anyway.

Actually, Primals overriding Air Lock is a perfect excuse for a Primal/Mega Rayquaza new ability.

About Cloud Nine... a little derpy Psyduck nullifying two primal forces of nature is kinda... out of place. But it's something already seen, so dunno.

Mega Gyarados should still be able to hit Primal Groudon with Waterfall or Aqua Tail due to Mold Breaker.

Are you certain? Because the immunity is granted by the weather, not the ability, even though it's induced by it.

Mold Breaker shouldn't work; it only affects abilities, not weather conditions.

Does Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados get a stronger Waterfall/Aqua Tail in Drought/sunlight? Nope. For that same reason, Mega Gyarados shouldn't be able to land any Water-type attacks in the harsh sunlight.

Are you certain? Because the immunity is granted by the weather, not the ability, even though it's induced by it.
I can't be sure, but it isn't normal weather. It is removed as soon as Primal Groudon is switched out.

Ziggy Stardust said:
Neither sandstorm, but it doesn't mean it will work anyway.
Sandstorm and Sand Stream are mentioned.

Last edited:
Whether it's removed upon switch-out or not, those abilities look scary-OP. I can just see the competitive non-rating battles becoming primal weather slugfests.

One thing that's always been on my mind, as something of an after-thought, is if Groudon and Kyogre's Primal Reversions are what they looked like in their original eras, then what is Mega Aerodactyl? As I'm sure that it was once stated that Mega Aerodactyl is what the species actually looked like back in prehistoric times.

One thing that's always been on my mind, as something of an after-thought, is if Groudon and Kyogre's Primal Reversions are what they looked like in their original eras,
That isn't quite the case. Judging from this page, Groudon and Kyogre first appeared in Hoenn as their normal selves and only later did they get more power via the overflowing energy.

One thing that's always been on my mind, as something of an after-thought, is if Groudon and Kyogre's Primal Reversions are what they looked like in their original eras, then what is Mega Aerodactyl? As I'm sure that it was once stated that Mega Aerodactyl is what the species actually looked like back in prehistoric times.

IIRC that's just what some researchers believe. Even so, we don't know that the Aerodactyl of the past were as powerful as Mega Aerodactyl. For all we know, ME could just happen to restore Aerodactyl's original appearance.

I'm probably just spouting nonsense though...

IIRC that's just what some researchers believe. Even so, we don't know that the Aerodactyl of the past were as powerful as Mega Aerodactyl. For all we know, ME could just happen to restore Aerodactyl's original appearance.

I'm probably just spouting nonsense though...

You're right. It's only confirmed that it restores his prehistoric appearance, not his prehistoric power.

Less useful for Kyogre since it resists fire, whilst Groudon would've been double weak to water being ground and fire. Which it should've been in the first place imo. I actually thought it was at first.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom