• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Primal Reversion

Whether it's removed upon switch-out or not, those abilities look scary-OP. I can just see the competitive non-rating battles becoming primal weather slugfests.

Those abilities are even more scary in doubles.

- Bring Primal Kyogre and Genesect out at the same time, and Genesect essentially has no weaknesses.

- Bring Primal Kyogre and any Pokemon w/ Hurricane, Thunder, Dry Skin, Hydration, Swift Swim, Rain Dish, etc. together, and the other Pokemon can perform its job without worrying about other weather starters.

- Bring Primal Groudon and any Pokemon w/ Solar Beam, Chlorophyll, Growth, Solar Power, Leaf Guard, etc. and it gets frightening. Venusaur with Chlorophyll and Growth is especially viable.

"Perma" weather is a very frightening element in Doubles, especially when the only thing that can stop it reliably is a phazer or the opposite Primal Reversion.

One thing that's always been on my mind, as something of an after-thought, is if Groudon and Kyogre's Primal Reversions are what they looked like in their original eras,
That isn't quite the case. Judging from this page, Groudon and Kyogre first appeared in Hoenn as their normal selves and only later did they get more power via the overflowing energy.
But if that's the case, then the name "Primal Reversion" makes no sense, as it literally means "to revert to the first state".

So if it is the case, then we might need to buy GameFreak some dictionaries?

I can already see two Gen 7 megas:

Mega Politoed with Primordial Sea
Mega Ninetales with Desolate Land

And thus the cycle starts over.

Well, at least they are only active when the pokemon that has it is in battle, so it's something.

One thing that's always been on my mind, as something of an after-thought, is if Groudon and Kyogre's Primal Reversions are what they looked like in their original eras, then what is Mega Aerodactyl? As I'm sure that it was once stated that Mega Aerodactyl is what the species actually looked like back in prehistoric times.

As @Zeta has previously stated, Primal Reversion seems to just be a cop-out way to battle wild Mega Evolutions. I doubt there's much of a functional difference. Similarly, as @Silktree noted, Groudon and Kyogre only obtained their Primal forms after absorbing the world's overflowing natural energy.

I imagine that the mechanics between Primal Reversion and Mega Evolution is pretty much the same--gaining access to the world's "natural energy" to push yourself beyond your limits. The difference between Pokemon that can Mega Evolve and Primal Reversion is that Groudon and Kyogre can achieve these states on their own without the aid of another trainer and their key stone.

I'd like to imagine that there were a few Pokemon that could naturally access the world's natural energy and Mega Evolve on their own without the aid of Mega Stones (could be used to retroactively explain Mewtwo Y in the anime if the game adopts this explanation), but that this ability was extremely rare to possess. Mega Stones and Key Stones act as catalysts that enable Pokemon to access this natural energy, but the ability to mega evolve is actually innate in all Pokemon.

We probably do. It wouldn't be the first confusingly named thing in the franchise.

As @Zeta has previously stated, Primal Reversion seems to just be a cop-out way to battle wild Mega Evolutions. I doubt there's much of a functional difference. Similarly, as @Silktree noted, Groudon and Kyogre only obtained their Primal forms after absorbing the world's overflowing natural energy.

I imagine that the mechanics between Primal Reversion and Mega Evolution is pretty much the same--gaining access to the world's "natural energy" to push yourself beyond your limits. The difference between Pokemon that can Mega Evolve and Primal Reversion is that Groudon and Kyogre can achieve these states on their own without the aid of another trainer and their key stone.

I'd like to imagine that there were a few Pokemon that could naturally access the world's natural energy and Mega Evolve on their own without the aid of Mega Stones (could be used to retroactively explain Mewtwo Y in the anime if the game adopts this explanation), but that this ability was extremely rare to possess. Mega Stones and Key Stones act as catalysts that enable Pokemon to access this natural energy, but the ability to mega evolve is actually innate in all Pokemon.

We probably do. It wouldn't be the first confusingly named thing in the franchise.
I'm guessing what they mean is that when they were created they were normal, and as they first began to create the world they were infused with the primal energy, since the world was new. Still makes sense IMO

Can I just say that regardless of how good a move it will be, Precipice Blades sounds hardcore as fuck?

possbile ways to stop groudon I have come up with

rayquaza with air lock and surf will be able to get him, if not theres mega gyrados with mold breaker, or any ground type with mold breaker

so mold breaker pokemon will see themselves more used online soon

Mold Breaker won't work. The immunity comes from the weather condition, not the Ability (like a Mold Breaker MGyarados still does less damage vs a Drought Ninetales in Sun because the damage reduction is a result of the weather, not the ability. The ability just triggers the weather)

possbile ways to stop groudon I have come up with

rayquaza with air lock and surf will be able to get him, if not theres mega gyrados with mold breaker, or any ground type with mold breaker

so mold breaker pokemon will see themselves more used online soon

I think by 'permanent' as long as the Pokémon is on the field means that the only ways to stop it is for Primal Groudon/Kyogre to switch out or switch the other in, negating or changing the weather.

I'd have to say that Primal Groudon's ability to negate Water-Type attacks due to Extremely Harsh Sunlight will be handy in doubles/triples!

Due to the statement 'Rayquaza holds a key to the secrets of Mega Evolution', I believe Rayquaza will get a Mega over a Reversion. However, I anticipate it'll get an ability that'll block any weather change, regardless of it's even Extreme Weather.

In fact, could Rayquza explain the connection between Primal Reversion and Mega Evolution? Curiouser and curiouser...

It seems that due to their more potent weather abilities, this'll be the reason for Team Aqua/Magma going after them.

And I'm just saying... Precipice Blades and Origin Pulse sound sooo cool!

I don't think they'll gain stats and will instead be new formes.

First thing that comes to mind when I think of Primal Reversion:

MajinBuuKidDebutNV.png

The best thing I can think of with Mega/Primal Rayquaza's Ability is just a buffed Air Lock that completely gets rid of weather rather than just suppresses the effects. And of course, keep it from starting up again while he's still out.

the more i think about it the more i don't want genesect to receive a primal reversion but instead receive a related but un-evolveable pokemon similar to mew/mewtwo. well more like carbink and diancie relationship. but as a fossil. :p

because if 'original'-primal genesect is only available in battle then i'm going to be so sad. i really would love it to be just an ancient looking bug that's a ferocious combination of kabutops and armaldo and scizor, sleek and sexy and powerful and ancient.

but then it's stats would probably be lower...

UGH IF ONLY IT COULD GET BOTH but probably will only get a reversion. T_T

the more i think about it the more i don't want genesect to receive a primal reversion but instead receive a related but un-evolveable pokemon similar to mew/mewtwo. well more like carbink and diancie relationship. but as a fossil. :p

because if 'original'-primal genesect is only available in battle then i'm going to be so sad. i really would love it to be just an ancient looking bug that's a ferocious combination of kabutops and armaldo and scizor, sleek and sexy and powerful and ancient.

but then it's stats would probably be lower...

UGH IF ONLY IT COULD GET BOTH but probably will only get a reversion. T_T
A Carbink/Diancie relationship would be really awesome for Genesect. It would probably be a Bug/Flying type

I guess kyogre will have to run HP water in order to stand a chance against groudon now

Hidden Power is still affected by weather.

And it's more of a "whichever is slower" or "whichever is sent out last" thing. Primal Kyogre will still have an even greater advantage against Groudon than vice-versa if its respective weather condition is active.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom