• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Primal Reversion

While I think future legendaries would get Mega Evolution variants like Primal Reversion, I am hoping that they aren't all called that because there could be more fitting names for them.

I'm wondering how Game Freak will actually handle future legendaries like Giratina who already has an Origin Forme. Considering that the item itself is a non-tradeable held item, it would be interesting to see whether Game Freak is up for a massive retcon and make Origin Giratina a Mega Evolution rather than an alternate form, with matching stats to boot.
I can only assume if we get primal variants on the 4th/5th/6th gen legendaries, they'll get respective names, symbology, the works. Primal would work with the Nature Trio because its a reversion to a more chaotic state, wielding the power of the Earth itself. I'm predicting that the gen 4s equivalent would be Celestial Evolution, or even Dimensional, drawing power from their respective dimensions. Giratina would keep its forme change, but it would be overshadowed by a proper Mega Evolution that would be a mix of the Origin and Altered design. The Tao Trio on the other hand, now that can interesting. If the flavor text isn't just fluff, and Mega Evos for legendaries appear when the world is in danger, they can easily work in a great backstory for the War of Unova and how the brothers tapped into mega evolution.

Oh my God oh my God.

Gaiz gaiz, they're using Emerald's plot! Kinda. It probably won't be acknowledged in game at all and is just here to make Mega Rayquaza make sense. But still, at least they're not ignoring it completely.

From Serebii:

It was a primal age, early in the world's history... The natural world was overflowing with energy. That energy granted Groudon and Kyogre an overwhelming power. Seeking ever more of that energy for themselves, the two clashed again and again, and their battles cast the people and Pokémon of Hoenn into great danger. Brimming with the overwhelming power granted by the energy of nature, this transformation was named by later people "Primal Reversion." And the people called their tormentors Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre.

One Pokémon looked down upon this battle from the sky above. The Pokémon that dances in the heavens: Rayquaza. Rayquaza is venerated by the people of Hoenn as their protector and savior. When Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre had battled for 20 dawns and 20 nights, the world began to lose its natural balance and tilt toward destruction. The people, unable to endure any more, cried out to their mighty savior Rayquaza before a great stone that shone with rainbow brilliance. And a change came upon Rayquaza, weaving in the sky above Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre. Suffused in brilliant light, its body began to transform visibly. And then...

HYPE
Like I said above and in the Mega Evo thread, this has huge potential for fleshing out the Wars of Unova and Kalos. If they appeared when people needed help the most, and Mega Evolution appeared for certain legendaries who could help out, then it offers some great insight into it, and adds a shroud of mystery.

I really love how they expanded upon the clash between Groudon and Kyogre, going as far to tell how long it lasted as well. And I agree, the term energy is too broad, I think they're talking about an ancient/primal energy.

It reminds me about extinct species that were huge. Its believed some animals grew to tremendous heights because of how different the environment/atmosphere was.

Also the stone that shone with rainbow brilliance makes me think of the Anistar Sundial for some reason.

Last edited:
According to the data miners, Primal Reversion does not prevent you from Mega Evolving a Pokemon afterwards. Also, you can Primal Evolve both Groudon and Kyogre in a single battle.

What could come of this:
- Ubers double battles with Primal Kyogre and Mega Swampert/Mega Scizor
- Ubers double battles with Primal Groudon and Mega Camerupt/Mega Houndoom

According to the data miners, Primal Reversion does not prevent you from Mega Evolving a Pokemon afterwards. Also, you can Primal Evolve both Groudon and Kyogre in a single battle.

What could come of this:
- Ubers double battles with Primal Kyogre and Mega Swampert/Mega Scizor
- Ubers double battles with Primal Groudon and Mega Camerupt/Mega Houndoom

Isn't that just the most broken thing to come of this.

Kyogre and Groudon actually Primal Evolve upon entering the match (assuming they're holding their respective orbs). Here's a video showing it. You can have a triple battle with Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, and Mega Rayquza all on the field at once. Battle Spot will be full of kids using them all at once.

[video=youtube;gbt-u67g1Fc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbt-u67g1Fc[/video]

Wow that Primal Unown tho. It doesn't look any different, I guess Game Freak are running out of ideas after all...

Well, the Primal Reversion rules aren't going to affect standard play all that much.

And in formats in which the Primals are allowed to be used, it can only help the Megas that truly need the respective Primal's weather ability to shine.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom