• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Problems Making A Banner

empoleon dynamite

Reaction score
Ive been trying to make a banner with my favourite sugamori art pokemon. Everytime I add an image to my Background There is a Thick white Line around my pokemon. I know why this is happening but im wondering if there is a way I can fix this? By the way I use Photoshop.

It sounds as if Photoshop has somehow tacked on the Stroke effect. Though it puzzles me because by default, stroke is red and shouldn't automatically do this [unless you have the effect turned on in a higher layer all by itself.] In that case get rid of that stroke layer if you didn't intend to have it there. Either that, or the art you are using doesn't have complete transparency all the way around the Pokemon.

Out of curiosity, you mention you know why you're having a problem. Is it that you are asking how to solve a problem because you don't where the problem stems from, or you just forgot to add the detail to the end of your post? A couple of little details like that wouldn't hurt :p

It sounds as if Photoshop has somehow tacked on the Stroke effect. Though it puzzles me because by default, stroke is red and shouldn't automatically do this [unless you have the effect turned on in a higher layer all by itself.] In that case get rid of that stroke layer if you didn't intend to have it there. Either that, or the art you are using doesn't have complete transparency all the way around the Pokemon.

Out of curiosity, you mention you know why you're having a problem. Is it that you are asking how to solve a problem because you don't where the problem stems from, or you just forgot to add the detail to the end of your post? A couple of little details like that wouldn't hurt :p

I know the problem involves the image not having complete transparancy. Ive seen other people with banners of sugamori style pokemon. I just want to know if there is an easy way to get rid of the white (Technically a realy light grey) outline. Is there a website for pokemon without this outline?

Wikipedia used to have a good amount of transparencies until they took them down and condensed the Pokemon sections, so no alternates, sorry.
Gaiasweatdrop.gif

For now, my best suggestion would be to take the outline out by hand using the magic wand. Start on top of a contrasting background like dark green or dark purple. When you pick up the wand, check off anti-aliasing and use shift-click to highlight multiple areas to get selections in nice and as close as possible to the outlines. That should get the job done quick and dirty but you may still need to do a bit of touching up. After that get in close and clean up what you need with the eraser tool. If you think your edges look a bit rough afterwards, smooth it out with blur at a reduced tolerance [anything between 10 and 40 should be good].

Good luck!

Thanks I took your advice. I also went on spanish wikipedia where there were a few images that where 50% transparent background (Still had a thin white line around them). Anyway what do you think ... ? \/ \/ \/

Really, not bad at all. Gengar looks perfect, really well done. ^^
Though I must be honest and say that Weavile is noticeably blurry under the legs, but the top half comes out fine. Nice sig btw, I really like that font type.

The techniques I mentioned were employed on my own sig if you want to use that for comparison. I wanted leafeon to fade a bit into the background more so I duplicated a leafeon layer [partially transparent], used multiply and faded it a bit. I also took a bit of blur to the tail tip and it's farther hind leg to add a bit of depth. Yeah.

Well I hope that helps, and I'm glad it worked out well for you!

Back
Top Bottom