• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Project Mew

Not necessarily.

Gou can still have his parts during those episodes too, since those aren't mutually exclusive.
Nothing says that he can't be there.

While Project Mew relies on membership and Satoshi isn't interested on applying, so he needs to be dropped soon in order to still make sense.

Not necessarily.

Gou can still have his parts during those episodes too, since those aren't mutually exclusive.

While Project Mew relies on membership and Satoshi isn't interested on applying, so he needs to be dropped soon in order to still make sense.
I don’t really get what you expect them to do. There’s no way they are going to leave Ash behind at the lab during every episode that Goh goes out to do something in relation to PM. People (yourself included) often complain about this kind of treatment for Ash anyway. They’re co-protagonists; they’re going to both be present for the most important parts of the show.

I finally got used to the idea that Gou would receive more focus anyway.
Since I prefer them to drop Satoshi instead of having him being a glorified prop.

It's also a matter of being coherent with Project Mew and its memberships.

Now I can even accept if they decide to make Satoshi graduate from the anime.

I really fail to see the active harm it does to have him be present, and without that there really is no reason for them to exclude a co-protagonist from important events. I think the “plot holes” (for lack of a better term) of his involvement in PM are really not so big a deal that his presence is odd.

Not necessarily.

You need to sign up for the PWC, so yes, they are exclusive. Goh hasn't signed up, so has no right to show up in PWC heavy episode if we use your argument.

I don’t really get what you expect them to do. There’s no way they are going to leave Ash behind at the lab during every episode that Goh goes out to do something in relation to PM. People (yourself included) often complain about this kind of treatment for Ash anyway. They’re co-protagonists; they’re going to both be present for the most important parts of the show.
Have him qualify fair and square for Project Mew as an associate, or just acknowledge that with his achievements, he’s earned his place to be there for Go. I don’t think Ash should be totally dropped out of project mew, since they never drop Go from Ash's focus episodes. They need to show Ash with his own dedicated subplots in Go episodes. If Go gets dedicated subplots and attention in Ash episodes, why not the other way round?

Problem is if you do it with Ash during the Project Mew arc, you have to do the same for Goh during the PWC. Considering thats an ongoing Goal since the start of Journeys, you need to eliminate Goh completely in that case.
Some people call Ash's lack of focus in JN "payback" for all the times he got too much focus in the previous sagas, so let this be a "payback" to Go for hogging up attention and getting dedicated subplots in Ash episodes.

Have him qualify fair and square for Project Mew as an associate, or just acknowledge that with his achievements, he’s earned his place to be there for Go. I don’t think Ash should be totally dropped out of project mew, since they never drop Go from Ash's focus episodes. They need to show Ash with his own dedicated subplots in Go episodes. If Go gets dedicated subplots and attention in Ash episodes, why not the other way round?
I think it’s pretty safe to assume that he qualifies on his own merits. I don’t disagree that explicit acknowledgment of this would be a lot better, but there’s a ton of plausible ways to headcanon it and the anime has never really been known to delve deep into explaining plot minutiae. In the end, his presence isn’t offensively confusing or surprising so I still don’t get the “leave him behind” rationale. Again, an explanation would be nice but I’m not left with wanting him gone without one.

The subplot issue is kind of out of the scope of what I was talking about, but since I touched on it a bit myself: I do agree that, again, it would be nice to see Ash have some subplots to himself. But I like Goh a lot and his goal is more interesting to me than Ash’s, personally, so I’m not particularly fussed either way. I don’t really see a drastic need for them to be given equal screentime even if they are co-protags.

I don’t think
I think it’s pretty safe to assume that he qualifies on his own merits. I don’t disagree that explicit acknowledgment of this would be a lot better, but there’s a ton of plausible ways to headcanon it and the anime has never really been known to delve deep into explaining plot minutiae. In the end, his presence isn’t offensively confusing or surprising so I still don’t get the “leave him behind” rationale. Again, an explanation would be nice but I’m not left with wanting him gone without one.
Well, we shouldn’t have to headcannon something that has been shown to be extremely vital to a project. Even Gary with his research merits and league experience had to qualify. You’re basically justifying "tell and assume not show" here. It IS surprising and off putting when literally every member has to qualify but Go, for all intents and purposes gets an associate who didn’t have to qualify. I get you like most of the aspects here, but making people assume something instead of flat out showing them isn’t good writing, otherwise Oak would've acknowledged the aspects in Ash that allow in to qualify.
I do agree that, again, it would be nice to see Ash have some subplots to himself. But I like Goh a lot and his goal is more interesting to me than Ash’s, personally, so I’m not particularly fussed either way. I don’t really see a drastic need for them to be given equal screentime even if they are co-protags.
So... your opinion on the topic is , paraphrased, I like Go better than Ash so the fact that he gets more focus at the hinderance of the other main protag is alright? You’re now justifying a lopsided focus of a coprotagonist marketing... This constantly lopsided focus is the thing that has soured Go for a lot of people. If the series uses a co-protagonist marketing, it should deliver on co-protagonists and I don’t think it’s vital to judge the series based on its main shtick.

I get personal preferences are a thing, but quoting people and trying to pass off "It’s my preference so even though there’s an issue it doesn’t matter to me" adds literally nothing to the discussion. I get that people are allowed to like stuff, but sugarcoating actual problems with things like that isn’t optimal.

I could have been convinced that Satoshi could work in the Project Mew Arc in last episode, sadly that wasn't the case.
He was only there to get wrecked.

That's why I don't think he'd receive anything from this, for me it'd be better not have him than seeing him mishandled.
He's been clear that he only wants to root for Gou and that's fine, it makes the transition a lot less troublesome.

I agree that they will have to acknowledge his absences and give an explanation for them.

Well, we shouldn’t have to headcannon something that has been shown to be extremely vital to a project. Even Gary with his research merits and league experience had to qualify. You’re basically justifying "tell and assume not show" here. It IS surprising and off putting when literally every member has to qualify but Go, for all intents and purposes gets an associate who didn’t have to qualify. I get you like most of the aspects here, but making people assume something instead of flat out showing them isn’t good writing, otherwise Oak would've acknowledged the aspects in Ash that allow in to qualify.
I mean, if you read what I said I told you I agree it’d be better to explicitly state it, but that I don’t feel it’s quite so detrimental to have it be assumed. In other words, you’re not wrong for wanting it, but I just don’t see the big deal.
So... your opinion on the topic is , paraphrased, I like Go better than Ash so the fact that he gets more focus at the hinderance of the other main protag is alright? You’re now justifying a lopsided focus of a coprotagonist marketing...

I get personal preferences are a thing, but quoting people and trying to pass off "It’s my preference so even though there’s an issue it doesn’t matter to me" adds literally nothing to the discussion.
Yes, that is somewhat my opinion. I don’t want Ash to be shown less, but I don’t mind it personally.

Also maybe don’t tell people that their opinions add nothing to a discussion. That’s literally what this whole forum is for. You quoted me with your own opinion first and then I replied with the same.

Part of me is hoping that near the end, Project Mew is revealed to be a plot of an evil Team trying to get the Legendaries and those taking part are unaware of it

Would provide some excitement to Journeys
And Gou is revealed to not care about either that nor the moral implications of helping them as long as doing it served to get him closer to or achieve his goal.

What a twist, isn't it?

Joke aside, the evil reveal plot does sound intriguing.

Imagine watching Project Mew episodes for Ash. And we all know there would be complaints if Ash randomly decided he wasn't even interested in rooting for Go.

Frankly, Go needs to get a lot better at fighting legendaries, so he absolutely needs a mentor. Gary and Tsurugi could give him advice, but are not there to be nice.

Part of me is hoping that near the end, Project Mew is revealed to be a plot of an evil Team trying to get the Legendaries and those taking part are unaware of it

Would provide some excitement to Journeys
Team Rocket is the only plausible choice, given Giovanni's history with Mew. Plus, all the other teams are tied to their own regions and are pretty much history (except for maybe Rose who only cares about Dynamax energy).

Hmm, Tsurugi references Sword and Asahi references Sun (also real-life mountains mentioned in an interview). Does she have a Sun-exclusive "legendary"? Maybe Buzzwole or Kartana. She certainly didn't catch Alolan Ninetales.

There's an in-game mountain named after a version name (Mt. Silver) and also a character whose semi-official name is Silver. Alternatively, the anime character with that name was into Moltres to begin with and seemed to know of Ash.

Last edited:
Or perhaps...I know this sounds not funny but I think Project Mew would be targeted by Team Rocket for some reasons at one point. Fortunately, this is only in my fantasy. In fact, I admit that I can't predict the future like a fortune teller or something...

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom